ttkt57 .22
Interarms Ranger production numbers 1989-1998

Is this data accurate? (p. 43)

http://www.vpc.org/graphics/prodcov.pdf
ttkt57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #2

Jaems .22
Probably not Interarms is not listed. Ranger manufacturing doesn't even list 32's.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

ttkt57 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaems View Post
Probably not Interarms is not listed. Ranger manufacturing doesn't even list 32's.
Page 43 lists:

Emco, Inc.
201 Industrial Parkway
Gadsden, AL 35903

That's Ranger/Interarms.

It lists production in .22, .25, .32, and .380 calibers and includes 5,013 pistols in .32 produced in 1998, the year Ranger produced its short run of .32 caliber PPK pistols.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
Hmmm. Intriguing but hard to verify. Seems authentic but who can say for certain?

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #5

Jaems .22
I read last Saturday that Ranger manufacturing started the Walther production in May of 1988, the PDF says 1989. I am trying to remember where I found that.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #6

gene 1 .22
I think it is correct because 32 PPK's were made after 1988. ttk I think is right because I have heard that about 5000 32's were made & all after 1988. Ranger was the MFG. & interarms was the importer.
gene 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:45 PM   #7

ttkt57 .22
Of the 5000 in .32, any idea how many were PPK and may were PPK/S?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #8

gene 1 .22
ttk,It was both, but no one seems to know how many of each.
gene 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

Jaems .22
The place that I can't find again, broke them down by year, models, caliber, SS and blued, however, no S/N. There were also no SS or nickel PP's only blued.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 AM   #10
Supporting Member

Location: South Florida, A Third World Country with Modern Conveniences
sub-moa .22
Perhaps my reading comprehension isn't all it should be and it has been a while since I participated here...but I'm confused with some of what's posted here:

1. The producer of this "document" is the Violence Policy Center, an antigun propaganda organ that knows nothing of guns or honesty. And though I despise them and all they stand for…as much as it galls me, it appears this particular “document” is nothing more than a compilation of open source BATF production reports. If they wasted their money to copy such information, it’s available to us and we can use it to our benefit…why not use the BATF information within? With that said…

2. The suggested chronology posted here by some…not the link itself, regarding Ranger production, is definitely off.

The way I understand the chronology follows:

Walther licensed Interarms in the summer of '77 to manufacture and then sell the Walther PP series and TPH pistols in the USA.

By the winter of '78, Interarms contracted with Etowah Manufacturing Co. Inc. (Emco, Inc.) of Gadsden, (Etowah County) AL to produce up to a quarter million Walther pistols over an initial 5 year contract period. Emco Inc. BTW was one of a group of family owned manufacturing companies in Gadsden, AL. The group…under the banner of Mid-South Industries (MSI) acting as a holding company, also included Ranger Manufacturing Co. Inc., Black Creek Manufacturing Inc....and others. Though Emco Inc. initiated the contract, Ranger did the actual work-up, tooling, pre-production and series production. Interarms got a sweetheart deal, as Ranger bore all the costs, both pre-and post-production. Interarms and the group holding company MSI bounced the contract around the group...on paper anyway, while Ranger continued to manufacture the pistols. Full series production was underway immediately in 1980...rumor has it, and DHM suggests, a number of pistols actually made it to Interarms in '79. FWIW, my earliest USA made Walther is a 1980 Blue PPK/s in…or course, .380.

In a nutshell: Interarms was an Importer of French/German produced Walther pistols for decades…beginning in 1956 as InterArmCo, as well as…later and concurrently, a Walther Licensee who “subcontracted” USA production of Walther pistols to the Mid-South Industries (MSI) group consisting of Etowah Manufacturing Co. Inc. (Emco, Inc.), Ranger Manufacturing Co. Inc., Black Creek Manufacturing Inc....and others.

That's the way I understand it anyway...

3. This might seem a bit backwards and perhaps a bit harder to follow, but the thread started with the link to page 43, so that’s where I’ll start. Page 43 indicates a 10 year BATF reporting period of '89 through '98 for the Emco Inc. of Gadsden, AL mentioned above in 2, the only time Emco Inc. is mentioned in this ’00 dated “document”. The vast majority of pistols are .380 as would be expected of USA Walther PP series pistols. The 5K+ .32 production pistols listed in '98 matches the approximate number of Walther PP series .32 pistols known to have been produced in the USA for Interarms during ’98…as suggested by DHM, gene1, ttkt57 and others. And, since we know that Walther PP series pistols in .22 were only manufactured by Manurhin under the usual French/German arrangement with Ulm…also suggested by DHM and others, the .22 production here would likely be TPH pistols which we know Interarms also commissioned Ranger to produce. Almost 24K .22 TPH pistols…even over 10 years, seems high to my relatively TPH unfamiliar eye…and though we know that .25 TPH production was only a fraction of the .22 TPH production, only just over 600 .25 TPH pistols…admittedly only starting in ’92, again as suggested by DHM and others, seems low. Though again, I've never really followed the USA TPH and claim no expertise there.

4. Looking further down the "document" to page 123 we find an earlier BATF reporting period of '80 through '88 for the same Ranger Manufacturing Co. Inc. of Gadsden, AL mentioned in 2 above, that dovetails with the Emco Inc. of Gadsden, AL '89 through '98 report in 3 above....with no overlap. This is the only time Ranger appears in the BATF reports as well, and taken with the background manufacturer info listed above in 2….even the FBI would consider it a clue. Once more…as would be expected, the vast majority of this production was .380. The list includes .22 and .380 production…and we know the initial '78 contract allowed for .22, .32 and .380 pistols only...and in fact ONLY .380 pistols were produced during that first 5 year contract period. The fact that the report indicates .22 production totaling 8.5K did not begin until ’86…well within a subsequent contract, lends credence to the report. The .22 production beginning in '86 would dovetail perfectly with the known start date of USA .22 TPH production, as suggested by DHM and others as well. Already mentioned, that original '78 contract permitted production of .22, .32 and .380 Walther pistols…but one would think in an effort to produce sufficient numbers of bread and butter .380 pistols for the American market, Ranger wouldn't start production of other calibers until later in the production cycle. Again...supposition only, but it might just add up.

5. I don’t though have a clue either as to the model and/or construction breakdown regarding numbers of each produced. I only have a mixture of half a dozen PPK and PPK/s, blue and stainless pistols from 1980 to 1990…and all are .380…

At first glance posting a link to anything by the VPC on a gun forum would appear to be bad form, BUT using that BATF supplied information…combined with known facts from elsewhere and a better snapshot of USA Walther production emerges. The OP is…IMHO, to be commended…
sub-moa is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
mid south industrial inc walther
mid-south walther production

ranger manufacturing gadsden alabama

ranger manufacturing gadson
ranger manufacturing walther
ranger manufacturing walther pistols
ranger manufacturing walther ppk
ranger mfg gadson ala
ranger mfg walthers
what years was walther ppks is manufactured at ranger corporation in gadsden alabama
who was the ceo of the ranger corporation that manufactures a walther ppks is in gadsden alabama
why did walther cancel emco contract
Click on a term to search for related topics.