• 1 Post By MGMike
  • 1 Post By Que
  • 3 Post By MGMike
  • 1 Post By Que

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
Que

Que .22
Ranger PPK/S Safety issue (internal decocking lever)

I recently acquired an InterArms Ranger PPK/S in .32 ACP. The gun is in beautiful condition and as of this past Thursday I can now say that it is a wonderful shooter. But, the gun has one issue. I can live with this issue, but if there is an easy fix I would consider it.

The problem is that when I flip the decocker it only goes part way and stops short of engagement not decocking the hammer. To get the decocker to work it is necessary to draw the hammer back all the way and then the decocker will engage all the way dropping the hammer. It seems like the hammer release is hanging up. Again, I can live with this as I generally don’t use the decocker, but an easy fix would be worth it. The gun is otherwise perfect.

I have heard about a fix where one holds the trigger back and racks the slide multiple times. If there is a mechanical issue I’m not sure if that is what I would want to try. On the other hand, the gun shows little evidence of use and I wonder whether this is an issue that might abate with more use. I'm also wondering whether replacing the hammer release may be in order.

Last edited by searcher451; 09-28-2013 at 10:41 AM. Reason: font
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
DrE

DrE .22
Each of those hammer releases is fitted to the particular weapon. P'raps a good thorough cleaning and light oiling would be in order first. I'd refrain from allowing the hammer to strike the safety drum repeatedly, BTW. They're a lot less robust than they appear from the outside.
Que likes this.
Former USAF Phlyin' Photog
NRA Member

“The brave ones shot bullets, the crazy ones shot film”---Joe Longo, WW-II Combat Cameraman

"Those who hammer their guns into plowshares will plow for those who do not." --- Thomas Jefferson.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards." ---Claire Wolfe
DrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Que

Que .22
I was afraid that there was hand fitting with the hammer release. The gun is as clean as a whistle and had been greased and oiled. I might try a little more oil directed to that particular area. If I don't fix the decocking function I will continue to thumb lower the hammer as is my natural tendency anyway. This is only a very minor irritation to me. I bought the gun knowing of the issue.

Other than this issue I am in love with this pistol just as I am with my 1965 PP also in .32/7.65. I had a PPK/S in .380 that somewhat pales in comparison to the .32 when it comes down to actually shooting the pistol. The only pistol that I own that is smoother in .32 is a Beretta 82. Come to think of it, my Beretta 1935 may also give the PPK/S a run for its money.
DrE likes this.

Last edited by Que; 09-28-2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Que: The internal decocking lever is incorrectly matched to the safety, hammer and sear of your pistol. That's assuming that nothing is broken, which should be confirmed first. Either it left the factory that way, which is inexcusable, or a previous owner replaced the safety, the hammer or the sear --in which case the lever should have lbeen refitted if necessary --but obviously wasn't.

The difficulty with leaving it "as is" is that it's impossible to apply the safety with the hammer cocked without binding the internals. Which means: you effectively have no safety at all except when the hammer is uncocked, and to uncock the hammer with your thumb you have to do it with the safety off (which is much less secure than doing it with the safety on).

I'd either get it fixed --by somebody who knows the correct technique--or remove the lever entirely to restore a functional safety, but without the decocking function. We just had an earlier thread on this.

M
runnr548 likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; 09-28-2013 at 01:43 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Que

Que .22
Thanks Mike. Great info. I think I will remove the release. I actually paid close attention to that thread with the option in the back of my mind, and your comments close the deal. At least this way I can thumb the hammer with the safety engaged which is the best bet.

All in all I can't complain. I paid $439 for the pistol.

Doggone, I love this forum.
druryj likes this.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The internal decocking lever is always a selectively-fitted and hand-finished part in the PP-series pistols. It is where all the plus and minus tolerances of the hammer, safety, and sear ("cocking piece" in Walther parlance) are reconciled in order to make the decocker release exactly on time. If the sear releases the hammer too early, the firing pin won't be locked & blocked; if the sear releases too late, the hammer will decock only reluctantly or maybe not at all.

This internal lever is the only component in a PP-series pistol that was manufactured to be selectively fitted; all others were mechanically interchangeable. There are, I believe, NINE different sizes of decocking levers (usually a number will be electro-penciled on them).

The conception of using this one part to reconcile the unavoidable tolerances in all of the other lockwork components is a marvelous illustration of the genius in Fritz Walther's original design.

M
Que, searcher451 and Martin like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 09-28-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Added an important qualification
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
Que

Que .22
The internal decocking lever is now out of the pistol. So simple a caveman could do it. It was a little tricky wiggling the hammer pin back into place getting the proper alignment with the semi-circle with notch on the left side. As MGMike indicated, the lever is stamped with a number, in this case a number "7". As you can see in the photograph the piece is really rough with what appears to be plating chipping off. The other side is pretty clean.

This is probably my imagination but the trigger, both single and double action, seems smoother, and in single action lighter and more crisp. Either way, I now have an operable safety, and that is a very good thing.

DrE likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
fixing decocker safety

hammers, levers & punches

interarms ppks safety issue
is the hammer release lever on the ppk also a safety
ppk 32 thumb safety
ppk/s decocks
ppk/s hammer decocking
ppks decocking safety lever
rough decocker walther ppk

walther ppk safety lever

walther ppks decock sticking
wen will the walther ppks be released?
Click on a term to search for related topics.