New S&W PPK/S, Bad Night at the Range - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #21

Wiking .22
Break-in? Strange, I don't remember having to break in my PPK/S back in the 80's. It fired reliably straight out of the box. Same with my P5 and every H&K I've owned.

I would not trust my life to a handgun with such a history of failure to feed, failure to eject and failure to fire.

I think this speaks volumes about current production quality.
Wiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #22
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
Break-in? Strange, I don't remember having to break in my PPK/S back in the 80's. It fired reliably straight out of the box.
Mine didn't. My first Interarms PPK/S was an absolute nightmare.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
The Interarms pistols were not always reliable out of the box, as UE indicates here. What you can say for certain about the Interarms/Ranger pistols is that quality control was dedicated on two fronts: at the Ranger plant once the pistols were finished, and again at the Interarms operation. One in four of the pistols sent to Interarms for sale were returned for fine-tuning to the Ranger plant by the folks at Interarms after additional testing. That's one of the reasons why dating the pistols by serial number and test targets is such a crapshoot.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-2013, 04:56 AM   #24

riverbear .22
Without sounding like a smart as#, is it written in any user manual or other official documentation that we have "break-in responsibilities" for our pistols? The paperwork I got with my old PPKS mentions nothing about breaking-in the gun but I don't know if any other instructions were written that I didn't get.

For instance, years ago when I got my then new outboard motor there were very specific factory written "break-in" instructions.
riverbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #25

michael t Unproven
Sorry folks I didn't spend 100's of dollars for a pistol. Only to spend even more to break it in. I should be cleaned and lubed. Then it should work or its broken . This break in is a excuse for a pistol not properly made to start with. Just think in WWII if every rifle and pistol we made had to be broken in by firing 500 times before sent to troops . At price of todays ammo it works from box or goes back for warranty. then only 1 time

How about the people that buy a pistol for Self Defense take home load it and put on Night stand. Many many people do this . Then it doesn't work and their injured , killed, raped, I think they had a right to expect it to work same as you car. Buy a new car quits as you leave lot but restarts That's ok just needs broken in. I think you be back on lot at service dept . Why allow a gun to be different.

My Bersa's never needed broken in neither did my Colts, Dan Wession Never had to break in a revolver I got a cheap Titian 25 auto Worked right out of box. . Come on stop giving factory a pass. If it not working from box after you clean and lube then their a problem . Cold be ammo , bad mag or pistol. But no need to shoot 500 rounds to find out. I bought a Kimber Jam o matic heard that excuse I requested they supply ammo to do break in . They said know . Spend over a grand then need to spend more to make work BS. I traded for a Colt . Came out of box shooting and still going.

I have 5 KelTecs bought over 4 years I bring home make sure barrel clear Lube slide and fire 50 rounds . Then I take apart and clean. Every KT has passed test 3 P-32's, 1 P3AT, and a PF-9 .

I seldom hear these complaints about S&W semi Auto .In fact very few complaints

My life My wife or my 3 daughter's lives Just might depend on a pistol I expect it to work. I had 3 that didn't even after factory Para Ord. and 2 Taurus . Their long gone and those brands are not in my home.

Call S&W and tell them you want it to work right .
Jack19 likes this.
MyPPK/S doesn't bite, because it loves me.
http://bersachat.com
http://metroarms1911forum.com
michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
That's funny because Kel-Tec has a reputation for needing an extensive break in period.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:47 PM   #27
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
That's funny because Kel-Tec has a reputation for needing an extensive break in period.
Even Kel-Tec says that Kel-Tec's need break-in. From one of their owner's manuals:

Quote:
Proper function of your P-3AT is directly related to maintenance and care, and to the ammunition you use. As with any firearm, a break-in period may be required (50-100 rounds). During this break-in period, some failure to feed and failure to eject or extract malfunctions may occur. Some of the more common types of malfunctions which may occur are as follows:
It then goes on to talk about misfires, failures to feed, failures to eject, and failures to extract.
Milspec likes this.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalExports View Post
Even Kel-Tec says that Kel-Tec's need break-in. From one of their owner's manuals:
It then goes on to talk about misfires, failures to feed, failures to eject, and failures to extract.
If you are willing (and gullible enough) to put up with that, you can buy a Kel-Tech.

Many people confuse the alleged necessity to break-in a gun with the usual and well-understood need to break in a new car, or some other kind of internal combustion engine, or a pair of shoes. These are completely different concepts, and not applicable to guns.

The entire procedure of breaking in a car or an outboard motor or something similar is to establish a wear pattern that minimizes oil and fuel consumption, and extends the service life of the product. This includes, for example, the brakes, which must be seated in with minimal heat in order to maximize their effectiveness later on. Breaking in a new pair of shoes merely makes them more comfortable. In any event, reliability is not an issue. Enduring malfunctions is not part of the program. You would not buy or tolerate an automobile that will not reliably run and leave you stranded during the first 1,000 miles, or brakes that would not stop the car, or shoes that you can't walk in. Or an outboard motor that quits and leaves you adrift in the middle of a lake because it allegedly needs more "breaking in"; you would take it back and plunge it up the salesman's backside until the only thing showing was the propellor.

Why does anyone imagine that "breaking in" a gun is necessary for reliability? Extended shooting might make it work more smoothly, or careful cleaning in the first few dozen rounds might maximize the accuracy of a target-grade barrel, but there should be no question that the gun will reliably function and shoot according to its design, as delivered.

The military won't tolerate anything less. Why should you?

M

Last edited by MGMike; 09-20-2013 at 09:53 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM   #29

Winterwind .22
Very well stated!!!!
Winterwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:31 AM   #30
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
You just put very succinctly the reason I don't have Kel-Tec in my collection.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
emery cloth ppk
marlin 795 uncleaned
ppk hammer stuck

s&w ppk

why are ppks bad
why is the slide on my 1911 .45 almost impossible tp pull back?
Click on a term to search for related topics.