Reloading 7.65 for PP, PPK and PPK/s - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #1

jager55 .22
Reloading 7.65 for PP, PPK and PPK/s

I have pre and post war PP/PPK and PPK/s in 7.65. Does anyone know the bore diameters or have slugged their barrels particularly on the pre-war pistols. I have found bullets in .311, .312 and lead in .313. Any help would be appreciated. Not thrilled about driving lead through the bores.
jager55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-30-2013, 01:55 PM   #2

prsman23 .22
Typically I used .312 for all of my 32s in jacketed. Bore condition would vary greatly depending on use of course, so if you would like the best fit i'd recommend slugging it.
prsman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #3

halfmoonclip .22
jager, we're assuming here that you have access to different diameter sizing dies and cast your own lead bullets?
My personal experience when feeding four Rangers and two police turn-ins (I load for myself and a buddy) has been as follows:

Lyman calls for .309", which is too small for good accuracy. I went as high as .313" which was entirely too big, before standardizing on .310" for the guns involved.
This was determined by checking groups and keeping an eye open for pressure signs.
There was another problem with some brass; a standard resizing die was not allowing some cases to firmly grip the .310"bullet. The exact cause of the problem appears to be variance in case wall thickness, but rather than miking every damn case, I simply went to a Lee undersize sizing die, which made the problem go away. (The larger diameter bullets were another attempt at addressing the issue, but as noted, they were too large.)

Final load was as follows:
1.7 B'eye/75 gr RNL sized .310"/803fps/sd 10/es 40/Walther PPK/s. This load will hold in the bull of a B2 target at 50' offhand, and makes one raggedyass hole at 21'. A 2.0 grain load actually produced more consistent velocities, but was a max load; didn't want to run that hard.

My suggestion would be to start with either the .309" or .310" and see how it shoots; if you go bigger, be especially mindful of pressure signs.
Check your loaded rounds frequently for potential bullet 'push in'; you may have to revert to the undersize die.
Once these quirks were out of the way, the reloads have been an absolute ball to shoot.
Feel free to ask questions if needed.
Moon
Nieto likes this.
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...ng-thread.html

One of the Stickies in the FAQ section.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #5

halfmoonclip .22
Not a lot there for the .32, Searcher, but I was unaware of it (just hadn't noticed, actually). I'll surely take a longer look in the future; reloading for the .380 PP series especially can be challenging, which is an euphemism for 'frustrating'.
I was blessed with a buddy who was very knowledgeable about reloading who showed me the ropes, and it's a course of action I'd recommend to anyone.
For the OP here, we're assuming you are an experienced guy due to the nature of your question.
Have we made any progress solving your problem?
Moon
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #6

jager55 .22
Thanks for the info halfmoonclip. I do cast and have different sizing dies. I may go ahead and slug the barrels just to find out the exact diameter.
jager55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #7

halfmoonclip .22
How's your supply of pure lead? It'll make slugging the bore easier; do the older guns have an even number of grooves?.
If you'd rather not, try my advice above.
I'd love to know if you have the issues with the size of the case; let me know?
Thnx,
Moon
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #8
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
Not a lot there for the .32, Searcher, but I was unaware of it (just hadn't noticed, actually). I'll surely take a longer look in the future; reloading for the .380 PP series especially can be challenging, which is an euphemism for 'frustrating'.
No worries, Moon. We haven't had all that many threads on reloading, and the ones that we have had haven't exactly caught fire. Maybe this one will?

Update: This thread seems to be gaining some traction; we'll elevate it to Sticky status and trust that, like the Energizer Bunny, it will keep going ... and going ... and going ...

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 02-01-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Sticky
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #9

Englishandy .22
I'm interested in reloading for the .32. I reload most of the ammo I shoot. Got brass, bullets, dies and a conversion kit for my Dillon 550. Now I just have to find the time. Hmmm ...
Englishandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #10

halfmoonclip .22
And may God forbid that you (or I) be one of those evil people who stockpile ammo by loading it when we have time or buying it when the prices are good...B. Hussein doesn't like us.
I'll try to live with the guilt and fire up the Dillon this afternoon; I've .45s to load. Let me add that the progressive press has been one of the great liberating things for handgunners; I started on a single stage, and you thought twice before shooting up a whole box of cartridges.
Moon
DrE likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page

7.65 pistol bullets for reloading

berry's bullets in walther ppk/s
ppk bore size
reloader walther ppk/s

reloading for walther pp

reloading the walther ppk
walther bb gun pistols, ppk/s, reload
walther customer support dillon
walther pp bore diameter
walther ppk bullets .309
walther ppk/s bore diameter

what kind of bullets does a walther ppk 7.65mm use

Click on a term to search for related topics.