Cleaning and storing a 1941 (and all other) PP/PPK models - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #11

tommer2 .22
All great ideas! I'm going to go with MGMikes idea. Good enough for 50 years with no rust, good enough for me! Thanks!!!!
tommer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Bob A .22
I use the ziplock bags as well, also treat the metal surfaces with Eezox, which has remarkable anti-oxidant properties.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #13

gene 1 .22
I told you to listen to Mike. I sometimes wonder why the rest of us bother. He does come up with the best answers. Mike have you ever seen that oil Boeing Aircraft puts out . It had the best rating of anything i had seen for anti rust. I think its called Boeshield. I have it downstairs .
gene 1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
I use the ziplock bags as well, also treat the metal surfaces with Eezox, which has remarkable anti-oxidant properties.
Ziplock bags work great with vegetables, but I don't like them for storing handguns. The closure seam is rigid, and interferes with wrapping the bag tightly around the gun. That part of the bag always wants to unravel. It invariably ends up sticking out awkwardly in one direction or another, which often makes it difficult to store the gun neatly in its factory box.

m
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #15
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gene 1 View Post
...have you ever seen that oil Boeing Aircraft puts out . It had the best rating of anything i had seen for anti rust. I think its called Boeshield. I have it downstairs .
No, Gene, I've never seen or heard of it. Is it sold somewhere, or do you have to steal it from airline ground crew?

M
Old 01-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #16

tommyb .22
Is this the product you guys are talking about?
Boeshield T-9 Waterproof Lubricant & Rust Protection. 4 0z. Boeing Company (Ships By Ground Only) - Filmtools

Winston Churchill
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #17

Bob A .22
Boeshield seems to be readily available. Basically it's a sort of wax dissolved in solvent; we used to spray the stuff inside aircraft wings, and all the hidden places where moisture could leak into and cause problems.

As I recall, the stuff would weep out for a few months, until the solvent evaporated and the wax compound was left behind. Good for a couple years, unless you had a seaplane.

I don't know that I'd use it on firearms; might get cloggy and sticky. But it's not my call. Eezox doesn't leave a messy residue, and protects quite well.

I like the ziplocks because once they're sealed, nothing goes in or out, and the metal is already protected from whatever small amount of moisture might still be within. I can't argue the rigid closure seal.

They're great for onions too; a couple slices on a salami sandwich is all you need, and you don't want the rest of the onion to lose its bite between sandwiches.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 AM   #18

halfmoonclip .22
Guys, I'm going to be a dissenting voice on the plastic bags; my concern is condensation. It may be that you can get most of the air out and the bag tight around the gun, but if there are temperature swings, condensation may still be an issue.
Mike, I'm not sure how much water vapor there is at a Virginia tractor pull, but in our Westsylvania mountains we have a bunch of it.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #19

Bob A .22
Appreciate your dissent, Moon.

In defense of my own methodology, the guns are eezoxed before insertion, the house is climate- and temperature-controlled, and I put them in a safe, which is in itself a humid environment because of the hygroscopic nature of the fire cladding. So in the bags they're more protected from excess moisture, and I really trust the preservative to prevent any sort of oxidation.

Anyway, it's worked for me.

Some guys on another forum apparently treat their guns with Renaissance Wax. I suspect that's for the real safe queens, but the stuff also claims to be the bee's knees in protection.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Moon, every new pistol I have ever seen leaves the factory in a plastic bag. They are packed to be shipped to widely differing climatic zones, and afterward may have to stay on a shelf for many months. If condensation were a serious problem, it would have been evident long ago.

Here in central Virginia we have about as much humidity as anywhere else in the East, except on the seashore. The only times I have ever seen condensation on guns is when a gun carried outside in the winter is brought indoors into a warm room, or on a range after the sun goes down and dew starts to collect on the ground. In both cases I wipe the gun dry and spray it with SS1, WD40, CRC or somesuch just to get full coverage. Later on I may blow the excess off with compressed air and rub the gun down with a RIG rag.

That has worked for me, but I won't quarrel with any method used with success by others.

M

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
1911a1 1941
boeshield for parkerized guns

boeshield t-9 for guns

cleaning codes pp and a
cleaning ppk
frog lube for breech face
how to clean a carl walther waffenfabrik
how to clean an ppk

i need to clean a severly rusted walters pp

pistol rug size ppk
remington 1021 shotgun
t9 boeshield gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.