WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #11

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdocz View Post
I reload 9x18Ultra ammo on a Dillon Square Deal B using 9mm Luger dies and a .380acp shellplate. I either use 9x18ultra brass or .38Super Comp casings cut down to 17.97mm. Both brass types work well. I have used various types of jhp or prn 95 or 100gr bullets (.355") with Bullseye, TiteGroup or Power Pistol powder. The 9mm Ultra is a tremendously accurate round when fired from the PP-Super or Sig P230.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2
Thanks, Doc, I was assuming something like that based on your previous comments. The whole shell plate thing will make you crazy; let a .380 case creep into the 9mms; it will end up stuck in the sizing die.
If I ever run across an 9x18 at a great price, I'll have to give it some thought. Make a great range toy if nothing else.
And I'll bet a big cold beer that .380 only fires in the Ultra because the case is hanging from the extractor...this occurs more often than you might imagine, even when using proper ammo, in other guns as well.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

tdocz .22
Moon,
I bet you are correct about the rim catching on the extractor but I'd still make the wager anyway. If you come across a nice, reasonably priced PP Super buy it. I have found I quite enjoy loading 9mm Ultra cartridges. You will want to consider attaching your case trimmer to a power drill, however. That's what I ended you doing. The .38 Super Comp casing is 9x21mm so each one needs to be trimmed down 3mm. That's Hell on the wrist after 20 or so. The cool thing about using .38 Super casings I'd that they are are designed for higher pressures than 9mm Ultra produces so they should last through several more reloadings.

If you are ever in Portland, look me up. We'll have to settle that eager.:beer:

'?? Baikal IJ-70 9x18mm

'08 Walther PPK/s .380acp
tdocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #13

tdocz .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharwnthla View Post
Question for someone who doesn't know better (Still have a lot to learn about all the different types of ammo out there). Is 9x18 Ultra the same as 9x18 Super? If so I know Georgia Arms has 9x18 ultra Georgia Arms - 9X18 ULTRA AUTO and I am honestly wondering because have seen a couple PP Supers at gun shows and have caught myself drooling, but my hubby is majorly put off by the ammo requirements.
9x18mm Ultra and 9x18mm Police designations both refer to the same caliber. Originally, they were nit exactly the same. Technically, the 9x18Ultra caliber was developed, but not pursued, in the 40's by Walther. The 9mm Police caliber was developed in the 1970's as a law enforcement alternative to the 9mm Kurtz, aka .380 acp. The latter caliber is what the PP Super is chambered for. Today, 9mm Police, 9mm Ultra and 9mm Super designations are used interchangeably. I found this confusing when I first started researching this caliber. It I'd a fabulous caliber however and the PP Super is a sweet pistol.

'?? Baikal IJ-70 9x18mm

'08 Walther PPK/s .380acp
tdocz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #14

dinkydau .22
Weell, I know this may be a rare gun, but............I think I am going to pass on it. I live in a small condo which was formally a 2bdrm apt and dont have much room to do stuff. I dont have a garage or store room. I also dont want to invest in money to I guess re-do cartridge casing and do my own reloads, etc. I just want to be able to pick up the correct ammo at a local gunshow now and then and then go and shoot it. I am not a gun fanataic, but, I do like the Walther's; PP,PPK's, PPKS's, and the P38/1's. They are made of metal and look sleek and look like guns; hey James Bond!
If you put all those Glocks, with different models and generations, the new S&W's, Sig's and the new Walthers together, you cannot tell them apart. They all look the same with that new plastic all over the gun.
This is why I am infatuated with the Walthers. I had a P38 about 30yrs ago and sold it, dumb me.
its hard to find them where I live. I missed out on getting a TPH, 22LR in mint condtion with box and paperwork along with another PPKS, same thing and both were stainless. Come to find out, the owner wasnt a Calif resident and the sale could not go through. My hands are tied so I must go elsewhere online and hope someone puts one up for sale. I have been able to get mine through"private party transfer" only.
Enough rambling. All said I am going to pass on this one, thanx for the advice. Gotta bite my lip and move on.

Last edited by searcher451; 11-14-2015 at 06:49 PM. Reason: bandwidth
dinkydau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #15

halfmoonclip .22
Doc', thanks for the thoro' explanation. I have a power case trimmer that would serve, but I'd hate to let the empties hit the ground for fear of losing them! One of many things I like about 9mm; I have so lousy many cases that losing a couple doesn't signify at all.

Steve, great explanation of the vices and virtues of the .32 and .380; should be a sticky somewhere for the uninitiated. Bravo!
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:21 AM   #16

Martin .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharwnthla View Post
Question for someone who doesn't know better (Still have a lot to learn about all the different types of ammo out there). Is 9x18 Ultra the same as 9x18 Super?
I don't know any 9x18 Super, only the Hirtenberg (Austria) 9x17 Super. Hirtenberg developed the 9mm Super as a very strong 9x17, but they were never produced comercially in great numbers. Since Hirtenbergs insolvency in 2004 the Hirtenberg label is a part of RUAG (Swiss).

The hint under the "9mm Super" means: "Only for pistol Walther PP Super".
Walther made ~1300 PP Super in cal. 9mm Super, the others were made in cal. 9x18 Ultra (=> Ultra or Police: it's the same).

Last edited by Martin; 07-08-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:25 PM   #17

Mr_REE .22
I also reload 9x18 Ultra. Redding offered a complete 9x18 Ultra reloading set back in the early 90's. I have no idea if Redding still makes that set today.

Last edited by searcher451; 11-14-2015 at 06:50 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Mr_REE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:40 PM   #18

84BravoJ8 .22
My 9X18 Ultra dies were made by RCBS in the 90's but they do not make them anymore. You can use 9mm Luger dies to load 9mm Ultra/Police though!
84BravoJ8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:50 PM   #19
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Since we've restarted a 2012 thread might as well make it a Sticky.

Fiocchi makes 9X18 Ultra factory ammo: Fiocchi Specialty 9x18 Ultra (Police) 100 Grain FMJTC 50 rounds - 15229, 9x18mm Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

Last edited by Milspec; 11-14-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:49 PM   #20

GeoNole94 .22
To dispel a common myth, you can find new-production Fiocchi online more-or-less all of the time. New Old Stock GECO is commonly available, too. Sans shipping, you are looking at around $0.40-$0.42/round. Cheap? Not by bulk 9mm standards, but not ridiculous. The PP Super is incredibly robust and well built, which is one reason that used ones continue to sell in the $500-900 range, depending on condition, accessories, etc. I just bought my second in 9x18 Ultra/Police, and I would buy more at the price that I paid. YMMV
ronin11 likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page

9x18 police

9x18 super

9x18 super ammo

9x18 ultra

9x18 ultra ammo

pp super
walther 9x18
walther 9x18 super

walther pp super

walther pp super 9x18

walther pp super 9x18 ultra

walther pp super cal 9x18

Click on a term to search for related topics.