Import Marks...Experts Forward Please - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #11

autonut .22
You don't find these things lying under a bush, so the only recourse is sites like GB...that's where this one is coming from. I was bidding on three at the time and was really seeking a PPK-L. I could have taken the PPK-L for the same money, but it was well-used (from the looks of the possible cracked and scared-up grip and surface wear) and the PPK-L came with only the gun. This PPK/S caught my eye and it came with all the goodies and a spare mag as well, which we all know is another $100-more-or-less.

This gun bears a date stamp of ID, which makes it an 83 and it has target grips. The seller had two exactly alike and they were tit-for-tat price wise. I may regret letting the L go, but I am partial to S's and this was such a good looking gun. Some folks say the box can add 10%-15% to the value and like I said...the mag is worth another $100. You guys know how it is...you can rationalize things as you need to in your mind to justify buying a gun..

When I get my hands on it, I will find out how it got here by giving it a close exam. I would be totally surprised to not find some sort of import mark...it's just not obvious. Maybe it won't have Sears & Roebuck or Wal-Mart stamped on the frame someplace!

Last edited by autonut; 04-03-2012 at 06:45 AM.
autonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-03-2012, 10:50 PM   #12
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
'83 would make it one of the very last ones made before the Manurhin/Walther divorce. The fact that it doesn't have an Interarms slide marking is uncommon but not rare; I have one just like it, but earlier, also without import logo but it did indeed come from Interarms; and a PPK .22, same thing.

On guns destined for export to Interarms, which for 40+ years was the exclusive USA distributor, the "CIA-Star" logo was applied by Walther at the factory, not by Interarms. This was done by pre-arrangement. But Walther was selling guns elsewhere also, and could easily have missed a gun or cross-filled orders. If a gun missed being marked in Ulm, the box probably would not have been opened in Alexandria, and the absence of a mark would not have been noticed.

Or it might be a PX gun brought home by a returning serviceman, or a spare slide fitted to a PPK/s converted from .380 (got one of those, too.)

Earl would not have been importing new PPK/s pistols in the '80s or '90s, and CAI only imported surplus police guns after 1998, when Umarex acquired Walther and the U.S. trademarks and could no longer keep "gray market" guns out.

Surplus guns were a different story. Except for some lots marked by Hammerli before export to Interarms, most were hand-stamped with a die after arrival here. A dot-matrix marking pretty much dates the import to mid-'90s or later.

M
searcher451 and autonut like this.

Last edited by MGMike; 04-03-2012 at 10:54 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #13

mixologist .22
I asked a similar question here:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...ice-trade.html

I find it pretty interesting that there are no import marks.
mixologist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 AM   #14
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's good information, MGMike; thanks for the insight.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #15

autonut .22
Yes....class is "in session". Thank you professor Mike.

At least we may know who did not import it based on Mike's information and the dates associated with who-did-what-when. The serial numbers on the slide and the frame match and I guess that's all the matters to me at this point. Maybe I'll have a good conversation-piece to share with what few Walther enthusiast I find at the local gun shows. Maybe somebody will offer me a new Buick for it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
I bought a .22 LR PPK/S at the Ansbach Rod & Gun Club shortly before returning to the US in Sept '83. Unfortunately, I sold it several years later while it was still new in the box. We could bring guns home as personal property so it didn't have any importer markings.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:22 AM   #17

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
I bought a .22 LR PPK/S at the Ansbach Rod & Gun Club shortly before returning to the US in Sept '83. Unfortunately, I sold it several years later while it was still new in the box. We could bring guns home as personal property so it didn't have any importer markings.
Ouch! Sad story so early in the day.

Reminds me of the mantra...
Never sell the Walthers... Never sell the Walthers... Never sell the Walthers...
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #18

autonut .22
I have done a lot of research and looking...I mean a LOT. These things come-and-go on GB and GA in the $750-$850 range all the time. They will appear.....be sold and then in a few days a few more will appear. Sure, there are sellers out there asking ridiculous prices for these guns, but if you really want one, it can be had with all the fender-skirts and mud-flaps for close to $800. I saw an aftermarket plated pimp-gun (complete with gold trigger and hammer) go the other day for $700 and it was a bare gun with one magazine. It doesn't seem to matter if it has been well-fired, imported, or even what the finish is. You can wait for the buddy next door that has one and gets in a tight and let you have it for a song-and-dance, or bump into the little ole lady that has had her husbands in the closet for 25-years and get lucky, but those things don't happen very often.

The fair market value seems to be around $800 at the moment.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #19

alfonzo .22
It seem like during the early 80's that many serivceman
purchased Walther pistols in Europe and returned
to the U.S. Most if not all of those pistols were
not stamped with any importer marks.

I have seen Walther PPK, TPH, and P38 pistols
made after 1968 that have no importer marks
but were imported into the U.S.

I think most were purchased overseas by returning serviceman and
perhaps a very few by diplomatic pouch.
alfonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #20

autonut .22
Purse, pouch, pocket or Wal-Mart bag....I am glad they brought mine home.

Last edited by autonut; 04-09-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
import marks on p38
p 38 import marks
p38 import
p38 import mark

p38 import markings

p38 import marks

walther import markings
walther import marks
walther p-38 import marks
walther p38 import

walther p38 import marks

where are p38 import markings
Click on a term to search for related topics.