Disassembly-reassembly. - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #11

halfmoonclip .22
Rule One of gun maintenance is in common with the Hippocratic Oath; do no harm.
Or, as a gearhead buddy's dad put it even more clearly 'if it ain't broke, don't ---- with it'. He was talking about things automotive, but the analogy is appropriate.

Like Mike, and somewhat ignoring my own advice, I like to know how it works and what's in there. But you need to fight that urge to no small degree. As far as interior gunk, solvent and compressed air are the answer, and it lets you get the crud out without taking things apart. Be happy with a fieldstrip otherwise, but do keep an eye open for malfs that might indeed indicate that something is broke. Don't even take it to the gunsmith without a really good reason; as a physician buddy observes, stay out of hospitals; people die there.
Let the gun itself help you decide; some like the 1911 are easy to detail strip and to no small degree are their own toolbox for the job. Others, like S&W revos, aren't hard to detail strip or reassemble, but you had better know what you are doing. Know when to say when.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 12-29-2011, 01:05 PM   #12
Banned

JW 759 .22
The biggest mistake to do on a PP or PPK or PPK/S is to avoid the time and spacing for marring the top of the fixed barrel/chamber where the slide slides off after you lower the trigger guard and move it (or hold it) to allow the slide to come off. It is way too easy to let an inexperienced hand to remove that slide without scratching or marring the fixed barrel or chamber of the fixed barrel.

The problem is the slide itself with the fixed battery/base/firing pin hole assemble may really scratch or gauge the fixed barrel finish there. I've seen many PP series totally brutalized in this region which is hidden from a dis-assembly.

Last edited by JW 759; 12-31-2011 at 03:02 PM.
JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #13

Stan11 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotsteve View Post
However, it will also instantly remove the paint from the front and rear sights and the safety dot on the frame. Worse, it melts plastic on contact so you've got to remove the grips first before using it. And no pinky-rest magazines, either.
-Pilotsteve
Well, of course I do remove grips before spaying and also I field-strip it first, but surprisingly brake cleaning spray does not affect the paint at all, including that 'brightSights' marks I applied on back and front sights.
Just don't forget to put on good plastic gloves before doing this, it dissolves the regular ones in a minute
Stan11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan11 View Post
Well, of course I do remove grips before spaying and also I field-strip it first, but surprisingly brake cleaning spray does not affect the paint at all, including that 'brightSights' marks I applied on back and front sights.
Just don't forget to put on good plastic gloves before doing this, it dissolves the regular ones in a minute
Sounds to me like cruelty to animals...

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:47 PM   #15

Taino .22
DrE,

Like you, I have a need to understand how everything works. I bet that, like me, since early age you took apart your toys. As a kid I took my toys apart before I played with them. It drove my parents crazy. I'm lucky that my better-half gets-it and she just laughs about it. With my guns, once I've broken them down and understand how they brake down and come together, I just maintain them as needed.
U.S. Army Retired
"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute"
Taino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #16
Banned

JW 759 .22
To disassemble:

Remove magazine whether loaded or not.
Pull trigger guard down and either hold it or move it left or right to fix it.
Pull back the slide to the point it is releasable from the frame.
Lift upward above the frame/slide rails.
Allow the slide to move forward without scratching and marring and scraping the fixed chamber and barrel it is now above. Do it slowly and take your time. If you don't you will mar the upper chamber ring and barrel of the fixed barrel.
Remove the slide only when it is absolutely free from the recoil spring to mar the barrel.

The spring remains (recoil spring) around the barrel and you can remove that by twisting it in the opposite direction the coils show while pulling it from the fixed barrel.

When the slide is removed you have more intricate choices about how to take out the firing pin and chamber indicator. If you want to go this far pm me. Otherwise leave that alone and clean the Walther and oil it with CLP spray or CLP drops we use for the Beretta M9, M-16, M-4, or 1911 .45 ACP.

Putting it back together is the reverse but remember to take your time when putting the slide back onto the frame with the racks for it. DON'T GAUGE OR MAR the barrel or chamber area attached to the barrel because if you do then I'd know it was handled by an imbecile before I got to it and I would not want to buy or touch or own it at all.
JW 759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #17

fitzgun .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrE View Post
Been trollin' around thru the forum and have seen quite a few posts regarding "care and feeding" of the weapons. I've lived with Walthers from an early age, P-38 war trophy my Da brought home was the first pistol I ever fired. I could field strip and clean that thing nearly blindfolded by age 14. Got my first PPK/S .380 in '77, after I'd left the military. Learned that weapon inside-out as well. Now in possession of two more PPK/S .380's, Interarms, both stainless.

Point is: at what level do most owners draw the line with disassembly of their Walthers? If cleaning after a range session, a 'simple' field-strip and clean/lube? Every time, once a month or never? Does/has anyone disassemble the thing down to component level at some point?

Just curious. I am one who can't own something without knowing just how it works. This goes beyond mild curiosity, whether weapons, cameras or automobiles. If I'm responsible for it, I need to know how to FIX it. I've a high mechanical aptitude so anything that goes: click, buzz, whirrr (or BANG!), fascinates me. Wondered how many on the forum are like-minded.
I'm a new member and really enjoy what you all have to say about the subject you talk about. But I'm trying to find where I can learn how to reassemble the recoil spring. I've tried and tried but damn I just cant seem to get it done! Any ideas? I'd hate to have to bring it to a smith everytime I disassemble and clean. Your comments will help. Thanks.
fitzgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #18

Stan11 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzgun View Post
But I'm trying to find where I can learn how to reassemble the recoil spring. I've tried and tried but damn I just cant seem to get it done! Any ideas? I'd hate to have to bring it to a smith everytime I disassemble and clean. Your comments will help. Thanks.
What exactly is 'reassemble the recoil spring'? Put it back on barrel?
If it is too tight, Just start pushing it on barrel and rotate clock-wise, it will go.
And for cleaning you don't actually need to take it off from the barrel.
Stan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
DrE

DrE .22
Stan is right. Turn the spring as you push slightly.

How did you remove it? If you just PULLED it off, it could be stretched. Some gentle discretion needs to be adhered to when stripping a firearm... or a watch.

If you are having difficulty with the reassembly, p'raps you ~should~ look to a pro to put it back together. And to be certain it hasn't been compromised in some way.

Better safe than sorry!
DrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #20

fitzgun .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan11 View Post
What exactly is 'reassemble the recoil spring'? Put it back on barrel?
If it is too tight, Just start pushing it on barrel and rotate clock-wise, it will go.
And for cleaning you don't actually need to take it off from the barrel.
Thanks, for your comments. Actually, it's not reassembled, but rather placed on the spring guide and positioned under the barrel against the barrel's lug (?), or whatever you call it. However, thanks to Tanfo's assembly of the P22 (which I also have) that I watched I was able to put it back together. Little hard to hold the spring down over the guide with my "old" hands, but with a pair of gloves, believe it or not, I was able to do it. Again, thanks, for your comments.
fitzgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
p22 disassembly

p38 disassembly

p38 reassembly
walther p22 breakdown instructions

walther p22 disassembly instructions

walther p22 disassembly reassembly

walther p22 reassembly instructions
walther p22 takedown instructions

walther p38 disassembly

walther p38 disassembly instructions

walther pp disassembly instructions

walther ppk disassembly instructions
Click on a term to search for related topics.