WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2016, 06:03 PM   #21

halfmoonclip .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael t View Post
S&W didn't drop proof the pistols till 1945 . Till then was a chance. I learned this as I bought a old S&W . Its serial number was strange . When I checked with S&W they told me that showed first year of hammer block . Was made 1945 . My oldest S&W is 1880 I belive it will fire if hammer hit .
Just revisiting this sticky, it bears mentioning that more current S&W production is quite drop safe. I've personally examined two Smith J-frames which had been dropped on the hammer spur hard enough to break it off. Neither fired. I removed the hammer on at least one of them, and ground off/refinished the remainder. IIRC, I ground off the single action sear as well.
Moon
and fight for Lincoln..."
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-18-2016, 09:15 PM   #22
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Also worth bearing in mind: incorrect hammer rebound function in Walther PP-series and P.38 pistols is not uncommon. Recently I ran across an old note from 30-plus years ago, that gunsmith inspection of about 4400 WWII surplus P.38s (mostly Mauser-made) revealed that fully 25% of them had lost (or never had) correct rebound function. Earlier, in the 1970s, there were sufficient complaints about brand-new PP-series pistols with defective rebound --several hundred guns were involved-- that it became the subject of animated discussion between Ulm and Alexandria, Virginia. Interarms' director of engineering finally made drawings and sent them to Germany to illustrate the incorrect and correct profiles of the hammer strut --both the problem and the solution.

M
searcher451 and pilkguns like this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:34 PM   #23
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
... I've personally examined two Smith J-frames which had been dropped on the hammer spur hard enough to break it off. Neither fired. ...
If it breaks at the spur, even the older, pre-1945 configuration is pretty safe. A "shoe" on the rebound slide blocks the hammer from pivoting by chocking its lower end. The only danger is if the hammer fractures higher up. This was the reason for the later hammer block, a floating piece that looks like a music note, attached to the rebound slide. It blocks the hammer's path to the firing pin until the trigger is pulled. Even if the hammer breaks internally, it usually won't fire.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 06-22-2016 at 07:29 AM.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:18 PM   #24

pilkguns .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
that it became the subject of animated discussion between Ulm and Alexandria, Virginia. Interarms' director of engineering finally made drawings and sent them to Germany to illustrate the incorrect and correct profiles of the hammer strut --both the problem and the solution.

M
hmmmmmm, I think I've got some notes about this, that was given to me years ago in Ulm ..... question is, can I find them....

A gun and a parachute have a common dynamic, if you need one, nothing else will really suffice.
http://learntoengrave.com
pilkguns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:29 AM   #25

Trafo .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Turning the manual safety ON on a Walther PP-series pistol does three things:

1) If the hammer is cocked, it drops the hammer to the decocked position which then requires a double-action pull, or manually re-cocking the hammer to fire;

2) The safety drum rotates around to positively lock the round knuckle on the firing pin, which prevents the firing pin from moving, and

3) Shoulders on the safety drum are rotated around to shield the rear tip of the firing pin from any contact from the hammer. This provides additional protection against a possible AD arising from a fracture of the locked firing pin or of the safety drum itself -- which occasionally happened with wartime P38s.

M

Is (2) and (3) true for all PPK's - ZM, Ulm, S&W ?
Trafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #26
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafo View Post
Is (2) and (3) true for all PPK's - ZM, Ulm, S&W ?
Yes, assuming all the parts are present and correctly functioning, the mechanical action is the same for all of them, except that in the Z-M and early Ulm, the knuckle on the firing pin referenced in (2) is rectangular rather than round.

M
searcher451 and Milspec like this.
Old 06-21-2016, 01:29 PM   #27

Trafo .22
Thanks Mike.
searcher451 likes this.
Trafo is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
does the p99 walter have a safty block
ppk firing pin safety

walther pp safety

walther ppk drop safe
walther ppk firing pin

walther ppk firing pin block

walther ppk manual safety

walther ppk safety

walther ppk safety operation
walther ppk titanium firing pin
walther ppk/s firing pin safety
walther pps operation
Click on a term to search for related topics.