PPK newbie: What things should I look for before I buy? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2011, 06:34 PM   #1

silencedppk .22
PPK newbie: What things should I look for before I buy?

Hello,
I am about to buy a PPK.
It's from 1973.
I wanted to ask what are the main things I should be careful inspecting it before buying it ?
thank you
silencedppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-03-2011, 02:58 AM   #2
Supporting Member

Milspec .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencedppk View Post
Hello,
I am about to buy a PPK.
It's from 1973.
I wanted to ask what are the main things I should be careful inspecting it before buying it ?
thank you
Welcome to Watherforums! Here's what I'd check...

What type of PPK is it? Is it stainless or blue? What caliber is it? What percentage of blue is remaining...is there any pitting (or scratches or gouging on a stainless)? Does it have the box, accessories, instruction manual, and test target? Does it have both magazines, one with a finger extension? Are the grips original to the gun...are there any chips or cracks?

Check the sights and barrel crown for obvious damage. Do a compete function check according to the instructions in the manual (available online from Walther USA). Be sure the hammer drop safety works correctly and clicks easily on and off. Check the magazines for dents and function...the follower should move freely without binding (I'd take them apart and check the springs). The slide should lock back on both empty mags.

Remove the slide and check the recoil spring. With the safety off, push the firing pin in from the rear to be sure it's not broken and the tip isn't chipped. Check the indicator pin by pushing it up and in...should return under light spring pressure. The extractor should move freely under strong spring tension...be sure the tip isn't broken or chipped.

Make sure the frame has all of its little parts. The trigger guard shouldn't be dinged and the spring should be working. The barrel hood, chamber and rifling should be free of damage or pitting. The feed ramp should be free of gouges or damage. The hammer should move freely in concert with the hammer block. Check the ejector/slide stop...no chips or damage with the spring in place and working.

That's just what pops into my head sitting here at the computer...you can be sure there's a lot I've missed. Your best bet is to take it to a gunsmith to be fully checked. Test fire it before buying if you can...or ask if you can return it if it doesn't work right. Good luck...
PetePK likes this.

Last edited by Milspec; 04-11-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Milspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Nice reply, Milspec; that has all the makings of a Sticky, seeing as how this question pops up from time to time.

A test-drive is ideal, although it is not always practical, especially with an internet purchase. And given some of the issues that we have seen with recent models, an emphasis on examining the pistol's safety function, to ensure that it is in proper working order, is a must. I also would recommend reading the owner's manual first, gaining a better understanding of how the model is supposed to work, and then carefully walking your way through the operation of the gun in question, step by step, matching the performance of the actual pistol to what is described in the manual.

The PPK is a wonderful model of craftsmanship and efficiency and style. A gun that has been properly cared for should provide you with many years of service. Good luck.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 04-03-2011 at 02:50 PM.
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #4

Stan11 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milspec View Post
Welcome to Watherforums! Here's what I'd check...

What type of PPK is it? Is it stainless or blue? What caliber is it? What percentage of blue is remaining...is there any pitting (or scratches or gouging on a stainless)? Does it have the box, accessories, instruction manual, and test target? Does it have both magazines, one with a finger extension? Are the grips original to the gun...are there any chips or cracks?

Check the sights and barrel crown for obvious damage. Do a compete function check according to the instructions in the manual (available online from Walther USA). Be sure the hammer drop safety works correctly and clicks easily on and off. Check the magazines for dents and function...the follower should move freely without binding (I'd take them apart and check the springs). The slide should lock back on both empty mags.

Remove the slide and check the recoil spring. With the safety off, push the firing pin in from the rear to be sure it's not broken and the tip isn't chipped. Check the indicator pin by pushing it up and in...should return under light spring pressure. The extractor should move freely under strong spring tension...be sure the tip isn't broken or chipped.

Make sure the frame has all of its little parts. The trigger guard shouldn't be dinged and the spring should be working. The barrel hood, chamber and rifling should be free of damage or pitting. The feed ramp should be free of gouges or damage. The hammer should move freely in concert with the hammer block. Check the ejector/slide stop...no chips or damage with the spring is in place and working.

That's just what pops into my head sitting here at the computer...you can be sure there's a lot I've missed. Your best bet is to take it to a gunsmith to be fully checked. Test fire it before buying if you can...or ask if you can return it if it doesn't work right. Good luck...
Very well done. And very useful. Why not to put this into PP FAQ?

Last edited by Milspec; 04-12-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Stan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Good plan, Stan. We'll leave it here for a time so that more folks can chime in before moving it up top. How about it, PP/PPK experts?

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #6

Pdx boatjockey .22
Wow....great info! I would add, as Searcher suggests (especially if new to Walthers); READ all you can about them. It's immensely helpful as you "shop" for one and it's fascinating to learn about this fabulous breed of weaponry!
Old 04-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #7

Stan11 .22
BTW, may be we could extend it a littlewith advices on buying new S&W PPK.
As per my experience this would be:
1. check if you can remove the slide (field-strip) without too much effort. If it does not come off when you pull it fully back this means recoil spring is too long.
2. Take a snap cap, put it into chamber and make sure it sits tight and not too lose.
If it 'wobbles' in the chamber even a little bit, the chamber is oversized.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #8

halfmoonclip .22
A very patient gunshop owner allowed a Walther rookie to handcycle a magazine of .22s thru' a brand new PPK/s, allowing the live rounds to bounce into the garbage can. He then sold me the gun for $75, and later gave me $85 on a trade for a Chief's Special. Doubt any shop would let you do that nowadays...but the field strip and magazine exam should pass muster, at least in a shop that sells some old guns.
Good summary, MilSpec.
Moon
halfmoonclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 AM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan11 View Post
2. Take a snap cap, put it into chamber and make sure it sits tight and not too lose.
If it 'wobbles' in the chamber even a little bit, the chamber is oversized.
How do you know the snap cap is not undersized?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #10

Stan11 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
How do you know the snap cap is not undersized?

M
Very good logic. I am not fat, my scale is just lying to me
How do I know? Like this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
pitted chamber on walther ppk
ppk buying tips
ppk slide wobble
ppk which should i buy
purchase ppk
what should i look for in a walther ppk
what to check when buying a ppk
what to know before you buy a ppk
what to look for internally when buying a used ppk

what to look for when buying a ppk

Click on a term to search for related topics.