WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #1
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
How the hammer block works

Anyone who wants to learn how the hammer block and decocker safety features of the PP-series pistols work needs only to read the Instruction Manual that was shipped with each Walther, Manurhin and Interarms pistol. There is a series of excellent schematics (in color, in the earlier German manuals) that illustrates how all the parts interact with each other.

Similar schematics appear in manuals for the P.38 and P4 and P5 pistols. They are very useful in understanding the mechanisms.

The drawings do not explain how to effect repairs or fit replacement parts if the decocker doesn't work because that is a job for an experienced gunsmith. The internal decocking lever is where some of the manufacturing tolerances between the frame and slide are reconciled, through selective fitting of different sizes of levers, and if this adjustment is gotten wrong, the "timing" of the gun is affected and a dangerous condition can result.

I don't know how much if any of the above applies to the S&W guns or their manuals (and couldn't care less). The incorrigible gamblers among us will have to figure that out for themselves.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 01-16-2011 at 02:34 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

ChipM .22
It might be helpful for someone to scan and publish this description for those who do not have access to an older manual.
ChipM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/f...k-pistols.html

Maybe this will help.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2011, 09:19 PM   #4

ChipM .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
Thanks; I had found that already. Unfortunately, it doesn't describe how the hammer block works.
ChipM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:42 AM   #5

mako Unproven
http://stevespages.com/pdf/walther_pp-ppk.pdf
CmdrKeen and JamesWilkinson like this.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:24 AM   #6

smaug .22
Pre-war Commercial? Walther PP hammer block

My Pre-war Commercial? Police? (Waffenfabrik Walther PP Zella-Mehlis (Thur), Walthers Patent Cal 7.65 m/m Mod. PP) - hammer block "hole" is just that, a hole. It does not have the "extra" cut on the left side of the hammer block recess for the spring and plunger. Does anybody have any idea what the part should look like on such an old Walther PP? Pictures? Sources? Thanks for any help, as I am stuck without and I can testify, the pistol NEEDS it! Regards!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171212_015824.jpg (740.3 KB, 27 views)
smaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:06 PM   #7

DesertDave .22
Early Variation 1 PP Hammer Block & Spring

Yes, Smaug! That is like my 1st Variation PP, serial 754,000. The hammer block is a little metal piece, sprung downward in place with a small circular spring. I attach a reprint from Dieter Marschall's Walther Book, showing the parts involved. Best to you! DesertDave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 3.42.07 PM.jpg (30.3 KB, 21 views)
smaug likes this.
DesertDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 01:45 AM   #8

smaug .22
"C" spring and hammer block

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDave View Post
Yes, Smaug! That is like my 1st Variation PP, serial 754,000. The hammer block is a little metal piece, sprung downward in place with a small circular spring. I attach a reprint from Dieter Marschall's Walther Book, showing the parts involved. Best to you! DesertDave

If there is any way to get detailed pics and measurements of the 2 parts, (on graph paper with fine gradients and a legend as to the scale???), I would very much appreciate them. The block MUST be different from the following variations because firstly it does not have the plunger/spring recess, and because it might have a specific way, or notch or something, to interact with the "C" spring. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks! Smaug
Old 06-23-2018, 07:34 PM   #9

DesertDave .22
I don't have the detailed drawings, but they must be around. YES, both the Hammer Block & Spring are unique to Early PP.

My gunsmith lost or misplaced my c-spring during a servicing of the pistol. I am working on obtaining a replacement original....Once I have that, we can talk to Olle Fornehed in Tennessee about making the two parts, as these are scarce as hen's teeth. (Olle refers to these are as being made from "UNOBTAINIUM"! :-) Olle has done a lot of small parts, including disconnector for CZ-38....More as I know it...Dave

Last edited by DesertDave; 06-24-2018 at 06:13 PM.
DesertDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 AM   #10

smaug .22
"C" spring and hammer block pictures

Found a site that lists these as part of an original small parts kit. The gentleman was kind enough to send along a couple pictures. He sells the kit for a little over $200.

Walther PP 1st variation hammer block assembly 2.jpg

Walther PP 1st variation hammer block assembly 1.jpg

Walther PP 1st variation hammer block assembly.jpg

https://www.legacy-collectibles.com/...s-package.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
automatic hammer block safety
hammer block

hammer block safety

how a walther ppk works
how does a hammer block safety work
how does a walther ppk work
how does hammer block safety work
ppk hammer block
walther pp hammer block

walther ppk hammer block

what is a automatic hammer block safety

what is a hammer block safety

Click on a term to search for related topics.