PPK-S WALTHER vs S&W - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #11

BigSkyBound .22
PPK/S newbie here (shopping for one). These photos show lots of similarities, but a few minor differences. I have been told that the slide from a S&W will not interchange with an original Walther, but that the Interarms version's will. Is this true? What is the interchangability of parts on these all around? If I buy a German or French manufactured PPK/S can I get parts from a S&W or Interarms? Thanks!
BigSkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM   #12
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
It's safe to say that the German, French, and Interarms pistols are made from the same design to the same standards, and the parts are pretty much interchangable as a result; you can use an Interarms slide on a German-made pistol, and it will work just fine. (I'm doing exactly that right now with a hybrid carry piece.) Whether each and every part will work in each and every gun is a matter of speculation, however. The likelihood is there, but you can't really say for certain unless you try it.

As for the S&W-made guns, as you have noted, there are some differences. I know that the firing pin on an Interarms pistol will work in an S&W-made pistol because I've done that, too. But I have my doubts as to any great rate of success for interchanging each and every part -- and beyond that, I'm not sure why you'd want to try it on a wholesale basis. But if parts-swapping is a deal-maker/deal-breaker for you, get yourself a Walther, a Manurhin, or an Interarms pistol and steer clear of the S&Ws.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. Enjoy your time here.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:18 PM   #13

BigSkyBound .22
Thanks Searcher 451! I have read some bad things about the S&W. Too bad, as I generally S&W products. I am leaning toward either a 50s vintage German police pistol I can get for a good price or an Interarms. My main interest is not for swapping out, but for repair. Always concerned about availability of parts for the vintage guns I collect and shoot.
BigSkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #14
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
I don't think that you will have any trouble at all finding parts for any of the four models. With Wolff making a variety of springs and Mec-Gar producing new magazines, the need for fresh parts in the German- and French-made pistols is fairly remote anyway, IMO -- unless, of course, you are shooting 10k rounds a month.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #15

Sector_Q .22
S&W Firing Pin:
It is slightly longer (than the USA Interarms). Have them side by side and you can even see just from eyeballing them (in good light). This may have added to the safety-recall issue, along with other things.

An experiment I've yet to do:
Combining a S&W firing pin (longer design) with a lighter HAMMER SPRING in the USA Interarms pistol. This is in hopes to have a better double-action trigger pull while avoiding risks of light primer strikes (ie: failure to fire).

German PPK/S .380 HAMMER PIN:
(ie: What the hammer swivels on.) I've found that it's too big to fit in the Ranger-Interarms PPK/S .380.

Last edited by Sector_Q; 10-23-2013 at 08:00 PM.
Sector_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:27 AM   #16
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector_Q View Post
German PPK/S .380 HAMMER PIN:
(ie: What the hammer swivels on.) I've found that it's too big to fit in the Ranger-Interarms PPK/S .380.
Not so.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
feb apb vs walther ppk
pistola walther ppk-s s&w vs walther ppk imterams
pp vs ppk

ppk vs ppk/s

ppk/s smith and wesson
ppk/ss&w

s&w ppk

s&w ppk vs german
s&w walther ppk
s&w walther ppk vs s&w walther ppk/s

walther ppk review 2010

walther ppks vs smith and wesson ppks
Click on a term to search for related topics.