1965 PP starred out marking? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #11

Ariceoh .22
And a total misread on my part! Wow. I have three lions. Still pretty exciting. Really enjoyed learning about these guns.
Ariceoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-14-2020, 08:35 PM   #12

Ariceoh .22
So interesting turn of events. Took this one shooting yesterday and kept getting stove pipes. Only got three rounds off before I laid her down and cycled through the other guns I brought. Got home to clean all of them and she had one in the pipe still about half way. I had assumed this was 7.65 like the slide indicates but took it to a shop today and we determined it is .380 or 9x18 makarov. It is waiting at the shop now for a expert to analyze. Have you heard of this occurring before? And if it is makarov does that mean it’s an East German?
Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 PM   #13

Kar98 .22
It's definitely not East German or in 9*18 Makarov. There were PP Supers in 9*18 Ultra, but they look different and are in a different serial number range.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #14

Ariceoh .22
Thanks Kar. So is it possible this police force ordered guns of the 7.65 caliber and then customized them? Or would this have been done by walther? .380 snap cap cycles perfectly but I was a bit scared to actually fire it anymore before a gunsmith looked at it.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:00 AM   #15

Martin .22
Def. not customized by German police nor Walther/Ulm. If the caliber is 9mm kurz (.380), it was done in the USA.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:50 AM   #16
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
A few commercial resellers in the United States did a brisk business in the mid-1980s converting these ex-police PP .32s to .380 ACP caliber to enhance their appeal to U.S. buyers. The conversions varied considerably in skill, thoroughness and result.

Besides re-barreling, alteration or replacement of the ejector from .32 to .380 was required. The same magazine could be used, but often the hold-open function was unreliable or lost. If the original slide was utilized, the muzzle had to be reamed to a larger diameter to accommodate the larger OD of the .380 barrel, and a .380 recoil spring substituted. Sometimes the caliber was re-marked; often not.

In those days the public didn't have much love for .32s.

M
GeoNole94 likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:48 AM   #17

Ariceoh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin View Post
Def. not customized by German police nor Walther/Ulm. If the caliber is 9mm kurz (.380), it was done in the USA.
Does this effect value? I paid $500 for it at a gun show.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #18

Ariceoh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
A few commercial resellers in the United States did a brisk business in the mid-1980s converting these ex-police PP .32s to .380 ACP caliber to enhance their appeal to U.S. buyers. The conversions varied considerably in skill, thoroughness and result.

Besides re-barreling, alteration or replacement of the ejector from .32 to .380 was required. The same magazine could be used, but often the hold-open function was unreliable or lost. If the original slide was utilized, the muzzle had to be reamed to a larger diameter to accommodate the larger OD of the .380 barrel, and a .380 recoil spring substituted. Sometimes the caliber was re-marked; often not.

In those days the public didn't have much love for .32s.

M
It does looked worked but my untrained eye assumed it was wear. I am excited to hear from the gunsmith about the quality of the work. Really wanted a reliable vintage gun. I hope this doesn’t effect the usability.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #19

Balogh .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariceoh View Post
I have a 🦄!?
At first I didn't understand this question. When I happened to see the same post on my Android tablet later on, I realized that the two views are quite different. On my PC browser it's impossible to recognize the unicorn but on the tablet it's clearly visible. Are my user settings and/or my PC browser to blame or do others forum members experience the same problem too?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Different views on different browsers.jpg (81.2 KB, 19 views)
Balogh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:09 PM   #20
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balogh View Post
...... Are my user settings and/or my PC browser to blame or do others forum members experience the same problem too?
You've just solved a mystery for me. I've been seeing these strange combinations of symbols in many posts lately, without any idea what they mean.

Now I can disregard them the same way I ignore emoticons, which I regard as a crutch for the illiterate.

M
Balogh likes this.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP