Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By TheWatcher
  • 2 Post By UniversalExports
  • 2 Post By imaoldfart

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #1

primerwalther .22
I have a doubt, after Marurhin (in France) was Ranger (in USA)

I have a doubt, after Marurhin (in France) was Ranger (in USA) who made them for how long in the USA, and was Interarms who distributed? The model I showed you is still very reliable, I imagine since it had all the specifications of Carl Walther's signature? I have a PPK 1966 made in Germany, my question is whether in steels, the finished or the mechanism have any difference with the one made in 1986 ?? Thks.
primerwalther is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-17-2018, 06:38 PM   #2

TheWatcher .22
Unless I missed them, I have yet to view photos of your gun. That said, Ranger pistols were made with a procedure called investment casting, where the frame and parts were made from poured metal into a mold.

Finish wise, the finish of the Ulm produced pistols is much nicer, but the early Ranger pistols were very good as well.

There are a bunch of threads that will elaborate on Ranger as a company as well as their production line.

After Zella-Mehlis came Manurhin and Ulm, after that came Ranger/ Interarms made in the USA, and after that came Smith and Wesson made in USA until 2013. Currently, they are being made in Germany once again, but have yet to make it to US soil commercially.
primerwalther likes this.

Currently looking for .380 PPK and PPK/S frames or parts guns. Please PM me if you have one to sell.

Last edited by TheWatcher; 08-17-2018 at 06:42 PM.
TheWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:42 PM   #3
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher View Post
After Zella-Mehlis came Manurhin and Ulm, after that came Ranger/ Interarms made in the USA, and after that came Smith and Wesson made in USA until 2013. Currently, they are being made in Germany once again, but have yet to make it to US soil commercially.

Almost. Ranger/Interarms were made at the tail end of Manurhin production. They overlapped by five or six years, I believe. Ulm didn't take back manufacture from Manurhin until 1986, by which time Ranger had been churning out PPK and PPK/S pistols from several years.

Of course, I'm not including in that timeline those Manurhins that were shipped to Ulm for finishing, and stamped 'Made in W. Germany'.
GeoNole94 and primerwalther like this.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook

Last edited by UniversalExports; 08-17-2018 at 07:51 PM.
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #4
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
That makes my head hurt.
Vandal320 and primerwalther like this.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:38 PM   #5

primerwalther .22
I think that Walther's correct strategy was well achieved and was never stop producing, regardless if it would be sold in the US and produced by ULM, Ranger, or whoever, they would not let the Brand lose value by giving it to only one company, unfortunately It was the last thing that happened when S & W took it. As every product or brand acquires experience with successes and mistakes when it grows and wants to expand to other places, nowadays called globalization. I hope that one day it will be produced again with the same policies and philosophy as it did in the beginning.

Last edited by primerwalther; 08-17-2018 at 09:45 PM.
primerwalther is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP