Some websites to help PP/PPK owners ID their guns - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #21

tazman .22

I have a PP I bought 26 years ago. The plastic grips have Manurhin at the top. The bottom of the grips have Lic. Walthers ground off them. Left side of slide has Lic. Excl.///////////// The Walthers has been stamped over. The rest of the gun is as I have seen on other photos. The right side above the serial has Valley Arms stamped in the frame. When I bought this gun the dealer had 40 of them and sold them to us for $125.00. I wish I had bought more. The blueing on the gun is a 8+. Can you tell me any thing about the gun other than what I have read on this site. Thanks I tried to insert a picture, it won't let me.
tazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #22

dutchie .22
Identifying a blue PP.

Last Saturday at the Helena, MT gunshow I bought a near-mint PP with s/n 87751. On both the slide and the frame it has "Nds" in a small square, which means "Niedersachsen", one of the German "states". It has the N with the eagle in several places. It has "IAC ALEX VA" on one side of the frame and "W. GERMANY" on the other. I asked Earl Sheehan of Earls' Repair Service (the US Walther rep.) about date of manufacture. His answer was that it was made in Germany and imported by Interarms. That it was a Police trade in from Niedersachsen in Germany and based on the "snakeskin design" of the box cover, he said it was manufactured between 1953 and 1969, when they changed boxes. He also said there should be 2 ciphers on the barrel indicating which year of mfg. I dismantled the gun, but there are no ciphers, just the N with the eagle.
Anybody out there who could shed a light on the year of mfg. based on the above and the s/n? Thanks!!
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Earl has it right; it's pretty tough to slip one past him. If you want an exact date for your pistol, your best bet would be to send an email to Walther in Germany; the company keeps post-war records and is generally pretty good in supplying requests in 4 or 5 working days. You can find the contact information in the Sticky notice in the P99 sub-section, Great Sites for All Walther Lovers ... You might want to supply the caliber as well as the serial number.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #24

dutchie .22
Got the year of manufacture

Contacted Walther Germany and they came back immediately with the year of manufacture, which is 1960. First they indicated that the antler and numbers should be on the slide, then they did some more research and said they found the details also on the frame just below the ejection port on some older PPs they still have on stock (would not mind getting some of those!). However, on mine there is no antler plus numbers anywhere. Just the N+eagle on the frame next to the s/n (right side in front of the trigger guard), the Nds in a square on the opposite side of the frame (in front of the trigger guard). Then the Nds in a square on the right side of the slide (to the right of the ejection port - the s/n to the left) and on the left side of the slide the N+eagle to the right of the Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do, Modell PP CAL. 7.65MM.
The pistol has not been reblued (all markings are very clear and have deep imprints). So why no antler and numbers will remain a mystery. Earl Sheehan said that sometimes these get missed (human error). He said that we all have our "senior" moments. I told him that I have them more often, now that I am 70!
dutchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #25
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Thanks for that good report, Dutchie. Glad that it worked out for you. And your gun sounds fascinating; congratulations on snaring a good one.

Μολὼν λαβέ
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 AM   #26

nick162116 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterbug13856 View Post
Good evening everyone and thank you for all the previous info posted regarding how to find date/location of manufacture.

I just received this gun from an in-law whose husband passed away last month. On the (what I'll call) the LEFT side of the gun is the following:

Carl Walther Waffenfabrik Ulm/Do.
"Walther banner" PPK / S Cal. 9mm kurz

To the right of that is Made in W. Germany (2 lines)

On the RIGHT side (under the ejection port) is the following:

The "New Eagle" symbol over the letter N; next to that is the Serial #189431

To the right of that info is: INTERARMS
ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA (2 lines)

On the stainless part of the barrel at the ejection port opening is the following:

74 (a deer antler) and the "New Eagle" over the letter N

On the right side of the frame behind the trigger is the Serial #189431S

The magazine clip has at the bottom: Walther banner, above cal. 7,65mm

Appears to have black checkered plastic grips.

Minor wear on the edges of slide by the barrel opening, few minor scratches, otherwise, very clean.

***Noticed the slide does NOT stay open with an empty magazine clip in gun--shouldn't it????***

I now know the "new eagle" and the letter N mean the gun was proffed for Nitro or smokeless powder also the 74 and Deer Antler mean it was proofed in 1974 at the Ulm proof house.

Can someone direct me to a site where I can download a manual or at least disassembly/cleaning instructions? I know this gun is in good working condition because it was fired not too long ago.

I would like to offer my in-laws "something" for this gun........how much????!!

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

- HEY ALL
just read the post above - and realized I just purchased the same gun for my father for a Christmas gift today - however my gun came with a "threaded tip" for a silencer or suppressor - if wished ....

I am not going to add any type of silencer for a number of reason (most importantly I dont have the license to do so) but my question to the forum is

Did Walther ever produce guns from the factory (with the same description above) with "threaded" tips? or was this someone else after market doing it? or is there any way to find out?

any help would be very helpful and appreciated... thanks

nick
nick162116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #27

RMC51 .22
PPK SS380 first buyer dates

I have a PPK Stainless 380 S/N A047xxx. the original owner has informed me that he brought it from Interarms in 1996-5. It also came with a 1996 catalog from Interarms, so I some what believe this is close.
RMC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:41 AM   #28

PhatHD .22
PPK/S date question

Please forgive me if this is the incorrect place to ask this I just joined the forum. I just purchased a S&W PPK/S stainless 380 model and I am a tad confused on the mfg date. The serial is XXXXBAD. Anyone have an idea?
Thank You in advance.
PhatHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:39 AM   #29

ViperR .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
Earl has it right; it's pretty tough to slip one past him. If you want an exact date for your pistol, your best bet would be to send an email to Walther in Germany; the company keeps post-war records and is generally pretty good in supplying requests in 4 or 5 working days. You can find the contact information in the Sticky notice in the P99 sub-section, Great Sites for All Walther Lovers ... You might want to supply the caliber as well as the serial number.
I wonder if they can date my British proofed/contract .22 PP that has no antler/year or N-over-eagle stamped on the barrel shroud in the ejection port. Just a bunch of eagle-over-129 in several places. Mine does not have the black paint on it. I've seen 4 of these over the years (painted and not) and not one of them has any stampings in the ejection port.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatHD View Post
Please forgive me if this is the incorrect place to ask this I just joined the forum. I just purchased a S&W PPK/S stainless 380 model and I am a tad confused on the mfg date. The serial is XXXXBAD. Anyone have an idea?
Thank You in advance.
This sounds like one of the post-recall guns to me, based on the reports that have been showing up here of late, which means that it was made recently ... during the past few months. Send a note to S&W's customer service department and ask them for an exact date; you'll have to give them the entire serial number.

Good luck.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PP and TP Series > FAQ: PP/TP

Search tags for this page
carl walther waffenfabrik ulm/do
deiter marschal's walther pistols

dieter marschall walther pistols

dieter marschall's walther pistols

walter 765

walther 765

walther pistol identification
walther pp 765

walther pp identification

walther pp markings

walther ppk identification

walther ppk markings

Click on a term to search for related topics.