10 Round Magazines/Pre-ban Mags? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99 > FAQ: P99

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #11

balance .22
The topic of pre-ban mags for a pistol that was not released until 1997 was interesting to me, so I used google a bit and found that this topic was brought up before on other forums.

Apparently, pre-ban mags were available, and Walther made P99 mags before the 1994 ban was put into place, before the P99 as we know it today, was in production. What you need to look for, are the Turkish pre-ban P99 mags, which were the original 16rd mags with springs that limited the round count to 15 rounds.

FAQ III-6

And an interesting post from this thread:

High capacity mags for Walther P99 - The Firing Line Forums

Quote:
High capacity mags for Walther P99
First, according to Earl Sheehan of Earl's Repair Service, Inc., a recognized authority on the Walther P99 pistol, a quote in writing to me from him, "There is however NO legal P99 .40S&W mags (12 shot), only LE, as this caliber was introduced in 1999. This is not even close to 9/13/1994".

Both Walther USA and Germany has advised me of the same thing on the .40S&W P99.

Earl also has said as has Walther USA and Germany, "The P88 (15 shot) mag is not recommended for the P99 because of liability reasons. It is only to be used in the P88".

Now, the magazine thing for the P99 pistol has been hashed over, debated, discussed and down right run it's course. The horse is dead,let's not beat it any longer. Search the archives here for a load of info.

The pre-ban 9mmx19 magazines available for the P99 pistol are from the original prototype "P99" guns. The were made in 1994 and were suppose to be called the "HLP" - hammer less pistol.

Earl says he is the only importer to have a valid import permit from Washington for these mags. When they are gone, he says they are gone. End of story except for used ones at premium prices.

I have only stated the facts as I have been given so, please don't argue with me over the facts, do your own research and form your own conclusions. I have no reason to doubt Earl or Walther Germany.

For those not familiar with the P99 pistol, you can find some added info and pics on my web site below with a link to some night sight info for the P99.
Maybe you should call ERS and ask Earl about it.

In the same thread, Extremist (also a member here) reported that P88 and P88c mags latched into the P99. If they work, that could be another alternative.

Quote:
I inserted the P88 full size mag in the P99 with the slide closed. Just loaded up 2 snap-caps into the P88 mag and cycled them through the P99. No problems what so ever.

Regards,
James
All the posts in that thread were made two years before the ban expired, and five years after the P99 was introduced. I never looked into this before. Interesting.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-23-2012, 10:59 PM   #12

Different.Drummer .22
Yes I am familiar with all of the above. Actually if you really dig there is more information out here as well.
Getting in touch with Earl is on my list of things to do. I am remiss on doing so. Searcher suggested that I contact uncut. I did. uncut suggested that I contact another forum member, however I mistakenly deleted uncut's PM with that members name. BUT!! I recognize the name in the post I am quoting. Thank you! It is extremist. Perhaps I will PM him and get off my butt and contact Earl. Though I doubt that Earl has any left. I need to find someone willing to sell one that are located in a state where it really does not matter and the original capacity ban is not an issue as it is in NY.
I would entertain the P88 magazines if I could substantiate their functioning without damaging the P99.

Last edited by searcher451; 12-23-2015 at 02:28 PM. Reason: bandwidth
Different.Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #13

Retired .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance View Post
The topic of pre-ban mags for a pistol that was not released until 1997 was interesting to me, so I used google a bit and found that this topic was brought up before on other forums.

Apparently, pre-ban mags were available, and Walther made P99 mags before the 1994 ban was put into place, before the P99 as we know it today, was in production. What you need to look for, are the Turkish pre-ban P99 mags, which were the original 16rd mags with springs that limited the round count to 15 rounds.

FAQ III-6

And an interesting post from this thread:

High capacity mags for Walther P99 - The Firing Line Forums

Maybe you should call ERS and ask Earl about it.

In the same thread, Extremist (also a member here) reported that P88 and P88c mags latched into the P99. If they work, that could be another alternative.

All the posts in that thread were made two years before the ban expired, and five years after the P99 was introduced. I never looked into this before. Interesting.
I thought that post from 10 years ago looked familiar...I posted it when I was into the Walther line more than I am now.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #14

Retired .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different.Drummer View Post
Seems as though my quest for "Pre Ban" Hi Cap. magazines is coming up short.
Being in NY I guess my next option is to add a few 10 round Mags. to my possession. So my options are MRI, SW99 or genuine Walther. Is this correct?
Walther's are pricey. I see MRI 15 rounders for $30.00. ( But not allowed in NY ) I was thinking that if the 15 round Mag was $30.00 That I would find reasonably priced 10 round Mags. I do not seem to find them.
Looking for suggestions on options and where to buy.
Would it be worth it to try the Trading Post again with a WTB? Do people in AWB free states keep their 10 round Magazines or sell them off?
DD
I'm missing something here, what caliber? I guess 9mmx19 if yoiur talking about 15 rd. mags.

I have 4-10 rd. like new Walther marked mags made by Mec-Gar that I would be willing to part with.
I had them up for sale a few years back but no honest bites.
Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #15

Different.Drummer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired View Post
I'm missing something here, what caliber? I guess 9mmx19 if yoiur talking about 15 rd. mags.

I have 4-10 rd. like new Walther marked mags made by Mec-Gar that I would be willing to part with.
I had them up for sale a few years back but no honest bites.
Thanks for the offer. I do appreciate it. I just purchased additional 10 round magazines so I am now set for them. I would still like to find one "Pre Ban" normal capacity ( also called high capacity by some ) magazine.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #16

Darkstar888 .22
How would we be able to visually identify them if we had them? Just curious...
Old 11-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #17

Different.Drummer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar888 View Post
How would we be able to visually identify them if we had them? Just curious...
As you know there is some controversy as to if such a magazine does in fact exist. Though I have researched my butt off I am new to Walthers so I may be very much out in left field on the subject.
Following is my best description as I understand it.
First, obviously the " for law enforcement etc" should no appear on the magazine.
Description: Forward facing edge of the Mag. would have no markings.
Left side of Mag. has "MecGar" just above the base plate with the MecGar logo just above the "MecGar" wording. Also on the lower leading edge of the left side is the word "Patent followed by 5,386,657 Both run vertically along the front edge. Also on the left side are 2 witness holes numbered 8 and 12
Back side of Mag. (Opposite the front ) no markings whatsoever.
Right side of Mag. has Walther Logo and "Cal. 9mm" running vertically about 1/3 up from the base plate along the forward edge of the right side. Also 3 witness holes numbered 5, 10 and 15
Base plate has Walther Logo and P99 stamped in it.
There are NO vertical grooves running longitudinally on any surface of the magazine. Diamond shaped indentation does exist on the left and right side at the top of the magazine.
That is what I know or perhaps do not know! If anyone has a magazine that is exactly like that and they know with 100% certainty that it was manufactured AFTER the federal Ban expired it would throw he wrench in the gears of what I have been able to formulate.
I do not profess to be 100% correct on this subject. I am eager to hear FACTS that would support or shoot down the existence of Pre Ban Magazines for the Walther P99.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #18

Darkstar888 .22
FYI. Earl's website lists pre ban 16 shot P99 9mm mags for a whopping $85 each. Plus he has a $16 minimum shipping cost.

Walther P99 Accessories
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #19

Location: North of the Rebublic. South east of Alba and West of Ling Ling.
ISOTOX .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Different.Drummer View Post
I would agree with ISOTOX. Pre Ban P99 Magazine question has seen it's share of attention so I will not ignite it again.
I will say that I have researched extensively for information on the subject. I have not uncovered anything that can refute their existence with 100% certainty. However , I have found a reasonable amount of information that would lead one to be a believer.
Still looking for one if anyone knows where I can get it.

Have you tried Earl's ...Living several towns from him I stop in every now and then when I am home on leave. His pre-ban's are not cheap. $85. As I have a 99C it gives me the best of both worlds. I buy a few grip extension's and I have a full size P99 with a 16 shot mag....I look at it this way it is cheaper than buying another P99....
ISOTOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #20

Different.Drummer .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOTOX View Post
Have you tried Earl's ...Living several towns from him I stop in every now and then when I am home on leave. His pre-ban's are not cheap. $85. As I have a 99C it gives me the best of both worlds. I buy a few grip extension's and I have a full size P99 with a 16 shot mag....I look at it this way it is cheaper than buying another P99....
Thanks for the information. Yes, I need to e-mail Earl and ask if he can give me anything substantial that I can use if I am questioned about a normal capacity ( 15 round ) magazine here in NY. Also will ask if he has any left. I was hoping to avoid the high price and shipping on something that can be put in a USPS Priority mailer for under $5.00. I suppose if I want one bad enough I will have to just pay the price and be done with it.

ISOTOX, having dealt with Earl and having purchased these magazines can you offer a short version as to how I would go about convincing ( proving to ) a judicial officer in my state they are in fact "Pre Ban"
PM would work if you prefer not to get into it here.
Thanks,
DD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99 > FAQ: P99

Search tags for this page

10 round magazine for walther p88

ban on 10 round mags
is a pre ban ar 15 9mm leo marked a restricted weapon in massachusetts
p99 10 round magazine hold 12 rounds

p99 high capacity magazine

pre-ban witness magazine

walther p88 10 rd magazine

walther p88 10 round magazine

walther p88 10rd magazine

walther p99 12 round magazine

walther p99 magazine grip extension
which do you prefer a 12 or 10 round walther magazine
Click on a term to search for related topics.