AS carry - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99 > FAQ: P99

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2012, 03:59 AM   #1

cjacob316 .22
AS carry

I was just wondering, but does everyone carry theirs in double action? is the gun safe enough to carry in single action, not the AS stage, or is an ND too much of a posibility
cjacob316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 05-31-2012, 04:23 AM   #2

lechiffre .22
If I were to carry my P99 I would carry it de-cocked.
Josefius and sgtmaj65 like this.

Do the interns get Glocks ?
lechiffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:12 AM   #3

Gmountain .22
I think the whole point of the As is the ability to carry in AS mode.
Gmountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
Double-action. And that's the way my manual says to carry it, although I understand the manuals that came with earlier weapons did not have that admonition.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #5

TRfromMT .22
Carry mine with one in the chamber, decocked. When I practice any drills drawing from the holster and firing, I decock the pistol prior to holstering so the first shot is DA, as it would be in a self defense situation.
p99cc and Jan whitaker like this.
TRfromMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM   #6

jonm61 .22
AS mode, since 1999. As Gmountain pointed out, there's really no other reason for AS mode to exist and as UE mentioned, and I can confirm, until 2008, IIRC, the Owner's Manual did not recommend carrying decocked. Even my 2009 built P99c came with the older version of the manual. I don't remember exactly when they changed it, though the revision date of the manual should be on the back cover, but like most manufacturers, they continued issuing the old manual until they ran out, which is how my 2009 got the older manual.
When the SHTF, you won’t rise to the occasion, you’ll default to the level of your training.
Member NRA, USCCA, GeorgiaCarry.org
jonm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #7

balance .22
Quote:
I think the whole point of the As is the ability to carry in AS mode.
I'm not going to dictate how someone else carries their P99, but I don't think the AS mode is anything other than a byproduct of making a DA/SA striker fired pistol.

The reason the trigger moves back when a DA/SA hammer-fired pistol is cocked, is because the hammer is connected to the trigger through the trigger bar, and all three are in the frame. On a striker-fired pistol, the striker is in the slide, while the trigger and trigger bar are in the frame. The trigger is not connected to the striker all the time, only when the pistol is in battery. It would probably be difficult and complicated to design a DA/SA pistol that operates like the P99 AS, that doesn't have an AS mode.

I think someone at Walther probably figured this out, and decided to make a feature out of this byproduct.

Personally, I carry my P99 in DA mode.
Jan whitaker likes this.
balance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #8

joer0821 .22
Always carry in AS mode or single action, as long as your finger isn't on the trigger as you draw then there really shouldn't be a problem. Bad habits equal ND's, not the action you carry in. Despite what the manual says about recommending to carry in double action I don't really see much of a point of why they would make this this pistol with the AS to tell people to use DA, I don't think they developed it to play around with at a range.
joer0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #9

rifleshooter474 .22
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by joer0821 View Post
Always carry in AS mode or single action, as long as your finger isn't on the trigger as you draw then there really shouldn't be a problem. Bad habits equal ND's, not the action you carry in. Despite what the manual says about recommending to carry in double action I don't really see much of a point of why they would make this this pistol with the AS to tell people to use DA, I don't think they developed it to play around with at a range.
I agree with your comment.
rifleshooter474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #10
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
We've beat this drum any number of times in previous related threads, to no avail, certainly, and certainly without changing any opinions. Those who want to carry in SA mode will do so, and those who do not will not be dissuaded otherwise. As for me, I always carry in DA mode and practice accordingly. What's the point of having a safety feature installed on a pistol if you don't use it?

Here's a sample of a previous thread on the topic:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...-safe-not.html

Plenty more where that came from.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 05-31-2012 at 11:16 AM.
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99 > FAQ: P99

Search tags for this page

air marshal p99

carry p99 as in da

how do you carry a walther p99 as

Click on a term to search for related topics.