WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99 > FAQ: P99

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 AM   #21

Sinnerboy61 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingBrickyard View Post
It's only pretending to be a P99 anyway.
Ohhhhhhhh!!!!
Sinnerboy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #22

hoochkkk .22
From reading this forum, have noticed that some folks discover hair line cracks in the pistol after the purchase.

I would recommend inspecting the gun closely. If you do a search here i think you should be able to see some of the pictures posted showing where the cracks are...
hoochkkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:43 PM   #23

Cinder .22
Ti Slide

The negativity lavished on the P99s w/ Ti coated slides allowed me to purchase this jewel for relatively very little. It was born in 03 and shows no sign of the Creeping Black Death. For 7 years it has avoided the plague. Now this could be a fluke, or it could be good maintenance. I've never assumed Ti coated meant corrosion-proof and always lightly oil it with CLP after a hard day. Either way, the photos show it's been shot a few times. If the C.B.D. shows up today, I'm still crammin it's highly accurate, pock-marked slide into my DeSantis tomorrow. If someone had advised me to avoid this gun, I would have missed an opportunity to own a remarkable weapon. And, as we all know, they don't come along too often.

Cinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2011, 09:56 AM   #24
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
That's a lovely pistol, Cinder. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:03 PM   #25
Banned

jlavallee Trouble working and playing with others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
The negativity lavished on the P99s w/ Ti coated slides allowed me to purchase this jewel for relatively very little. It was born in 03 and shows no sign of the Creeping Black Death. For 7 years it has avoided the plague. Now this could be a fluke, or it could be good maintenance. I've never assumed Ti coated meant corrosion-proof and always lightly oil it with CLP after a hard day. Either way, the photos show it's been shot a few times. If the C.B.D. shows up today, I'm still crammin it's highly accurate, pock-marked slide into my DeSantis tomorrow. If someone had advised me to avoid this gun, I would have missed an opportunity to own a remarkable weapon. And, as we all know, they don't come along too often.
Nobody is saying not to buy a Ti one but a potential buyer should be aware of the historical issues with that finish. Nice gun.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #26

Cinder .22
Ti Slide

[QUOTE=jlavallee;111871]Beyond issues with the Ti coated guns getting black pock marks in the finish there are not really any issues. Early guns had a hump in the trigger guard that bothers some and some steer away from early split trigger guns.

[QUOTE=jlavallee;111871]Nobody is saying not to buy a Ti one but a potential buyer should be aware of the historical issues with that finish. Nice gun.

Thank you.
Well, perhaps one should say "some" Ti coated guns getting black pock marks then, because they obviously don't all suffer from this anymore than all P99s have cracked frames. Either way, having recently purchased and being thoroughly delighted with mine I wouldn't want to sell. But, if I did, I'd perhaps have to pass on this forum's Trading Post because of such blanket statements about particular variations.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #27

FlyingBrickyard .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
Well, perhaps one should say "some" Ti coated guns getting black pock marks then, because they obviously don't all suffer from this anymore than all P99s have cracked frames.
Statistically, it appears that they do, by a decent margin. Enough so that it's apparently fairly rare to find a Ti coated P99 at this point that hasn't developed the finish problems. While cracked frames are very much the exception.

That doesn't in any way suggest people dislike the Ti coated version - quite the opposite in fact. However it's an unfortunate fact that a large number of them have or probably will develop finish problems. It's simply something to be aware of and look out for if you're looking to buy one or have purchased one - much as certain model years of certain cars are more prone to specific problems. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker, but it [i]is[/s] something to be on the lookout for, and anyone with that knowledge would be remiss in not passing along the warning to anyone looking to buy a Ti coated model.

Personally, I think they look great and I'd love to have one, but I'd absolutely look one over closely prior to purchase because I know the finish often (but not always) has problems. I'd be a fool not to.

Quote:
Either way, having recently purchased and being thoroughly delighted with mine I wouldn't want to sell. But, if I did, I'd perhaps have to pass on this forum's Trading Post because of such blanket statements about particular variations.
Congratulations, it's a beautiful pistol. I'd be proud of it as well. As for the rest, do as you please, though I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with petty threats.
FlyingBrickyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:13 PM   #28

Cinder .22
No petty threat intended sir. Read my my posts, they're extremely polite. I'm so sorry I have to put you on my ignore list, you start out very informative but then you seem to confuse opinions with fact at the end. Good luck with that.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #29
Banned

jlavallee Trouble working and playing with others.
I've never heard of a well fired (5000 rounds +) Ti P99 not having the pock mark issue. I've heard of it on guns with low round counts so it seems to be an eventual certianty. Surely, care will play a part but Walther removed it from their line because of it so it is not like anyone is talking about a rare event like a frame crack.

That doesn't mean it is not a nice gun. What was stated is honest and for someone shopping for a P99, they might want to know. Just like how the ski hump bothers some and not others.
jlavallee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:57 PM   #30

gorenut .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalcon View Post
Jesus, is it just me or are P99s getting like 50 dollars cheaper every single week ?! It would figure I bought mine new for almost 700 bucks right before they all the sudden completely like lost their value
New member here.. seems like I'm getting mine at a good deal then. I'm working a deal where I'm getting it for $529, brand new, newest gen.

What lead me to Walther? Well.. I was originally in a market for an H&K P30.. one thing lead to another.. and I was eventually introduced to Walthers. I'm taking a slight gamble here as I've never handled ones (none of the stores/ranges around here have em), but I figure if its not my cup of tea.. I can easily get my money back selling locally.

Though based on all my readings in the past week.. Walther seems like a gun I'll enjoy very much at the fraction of a cost of my original plan.
gorenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P99 > FAQ: P99

Search tags for this page
p99 used price

used p99

used walther p99

used walther p99 .40 for sale
used walther p99 for sale
used walther p99 value

walther p99 for sale

walther p99 for sale used
walther p99 price

walther p99 price used

walther p99 used

walther p99 used price

Click on a term to search for related topics.