WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88 > FAQ: P88

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kar98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Rugerluger .22
Manurhin Pistolette P1

Hello, I'm RugerLuger, new to Forum. Sure some of you have heard my question before, but my item doesn't seem to match what I can read. So here goes , help from anyone will be appreciated: My gun , right side says Manufacture De Machinres DU Maut Rhin, then made in France, then Manurhin Pistolette P1 9mmx49 Serial 22716X. Left side has (rear of slide) crossed cannons w/a 3 above, a small shield and a winged eagle over a small circle with a swastica inside. This piece has the short 2 3/4 " barrel, front site on the front of the slide and an import mark of : A.E.Co. N.Y.C. the slide is steel kinda dull finish and the frame is shiny black maybe alloy. It has right side decocker, black plastic checkered grips and the last 4 of the serial # is also on the frame. The original holster is marked Wonderlick Berlin 1963and has flap over and extra mag holder and has a belt loop and two metal rings to attach I guess to belt or shoulder strap. This piece seems to contradick what I have read and would appreciate any info , year of mfg, and relative value. Being a snubby it kinda looks impressive for a semi auto. Thanks for any help in identifying.
Rugerluger is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #2

Vandal320 .22
Add some photo's.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/...res-forum.html
WALTHER PPQ M2 .45 ACP
WALTHER P99C 9MM
WALTHER PPS M1 9MM
WALTHER PPS M2 LE 9MM
WALTHER PPX 9MM
Vandal320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:13 PM   #3

Kar98 .22
Quote:
right side says Manufacture De Machinres DU Maut Rhin
Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin

Quote:
9mmx49
9mm x 19

Quote:
crossed cannons w/a 3 above
Originally made for a cancelled Portuguese contract.

Quote:
a winged eagle over a small circle with a swastica inside
Some joker got ahold of a "eagle over swastika" stamp and "improved" the gun.

Probably the importer, A.E.Co. N.Y.C.

No telling when the holster met the gun

Production of Walther "Pistolet P1" pistols started in France in 1963, and yours is very early in their serial range.

Quote:
Being a snubby
Not very many people would call a full sized service pistol with a five inch barrel a snubby...
GeoNole94 likes this.

Last edited by Kar98; 01-05-2019 at 05:40 PM.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2019, 06:18 PM   #4

matthanne .22
My guess without pics- Many of these were made for the Berliner Polizei, indicated by a rosette on the trigger guard; Post manufacturer mods: unfortunately someone stamped it with that unneeded and bogus stamping and it sounds like it was further modified to be a snubby.
matthanne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 06:24 PM   #5

GeoNole94 .22
Posting the same info on “The Classics” forum will get more responses than it will in the P88 forum. That said, Kar98 has you covered
Old 01-05-2019, 11:22 PM   #6

Absalom .22
[QUOTE=Kar98;1172592
No telling when the holster met the gun

Production of Walther "Pistolet P1" pistols started in France in 1963, and yours is very early in their serial range.
[/QUOTE]

Kar98 gave you the story indeed. A minor addition:

These weren't actually made in France, but in Ulm like all P38/P1s. This was a special contract for the West Berlin police and customs in 1963/64, as they were not allowed to carry German-made guns under the special occupation status. So in reverse of what happened with the PP/PPK, the P1s were made in Ulm and then finished and proofed in France. These are all in that general serial range around yours.

About 600 have the BUND stamp for the Zoll (Customs), but most have the police star (rosette).

The holster is unlikely to have served with that specific gun, but is an original West Berlin holster contemporaneous with the pistol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berlin P1 Sammlung.jpg (36.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 1967 Langhans Verhaftung Kuhdamm.jpg (59.9 KB, 12 views)
Absalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #7

Rugerluger .22
Pistolette P 1

Thanks for all the feedback..I wish I could send photos but unfortunately I dont' have an email camera. I'll try to add a couple of things , maybe help some. Some of you have said it might be a cancelled Portugese Contract, dont' know may be. Another clear up is that it is a SHORT barrel, 2. 3/4" or 2.8" not 5 inches. It might also be a Berliner Police as it does have the "rosette" on the trigger guard and it is not a cut or modified barrel. I do understand the logic of having a post war item with a Eagle over Stastica, but that appears in same size, shade and location ( very rear of slide, right side) as the crossed cannons with a 3 over and can't tell maybe a V or sometihing at bottom and the , what I would all a small shield, all three of them are right together and same depth of stamping, clean etc, just saying. What perplexes me is the short barrel with front sight on the part of slide that goes over the barrel at front and rear sight wold seem to slide side ways not sure. I might take some pictures with a disposable camera and send them to someone who could post them for me if that is of interest. Think the posting that it was probably made in ULM and finished and proofed in France due to French not allowing German items to be used by their various departments, customs, police, etc. Could be just a put together piece but was done so 55 years ago and is in very nice finish and condition. Thanks for help.
Rugerluger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P88 > FAQ: P88

Search tags for this page

duhaut-rhin pistolet p1

manhurin p1

manurhin pistolet p1

manurhin pp date of manufacture

manurhn p-1

pistolet p1

pistolet p1 9mm

walther p1 made in manurhin

west berlin police p1 pistol

Click on a term to search for related topics.