Revisiting the P22 trigger bar ear problem - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22 > FAQ: P22

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM   #11

Jonas .22
Given that the most recent post here is more than a year old, any updates on this with current production? Has Walther addressed this?
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-07-2016, 01:00 PM   #12

wbmp .22
NO! Walther has not and will not address the issue as long as its selling...and it's still selling. The P22/P22Q is a high volume selling firearm for Walther. JMO.

Unfortunately, it's probably take a much larger item to get their attention.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #13

ZeeP22Q .22
1917-1911M ... could you or anyone else kindly upload a couple of photos showing these trigger bar ears that need smoothing down. This old sticky has all the photo links not working, so no photos show up now.

I'm assuming it's the two ears that the red arrows are pointing to ... ??

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Walther P22 Trigger Bar Ears.JPG (52.7 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by ZeeP22Q; 01-17-2020 at 05:27 PM.
ZeeP22Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 05:06 PM   #14

1917-1911M .38
Certainly.....! 1917
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #15

1917-1911M .38

Back in the beginning...the very beginning, Walther engineers determined that the trigger bar ears needed to be nicely rounded because they interacted with the ramps under the "zinc" slide. Pictured above is a rare set installed in one of Cretes P22s. I've never seen a live set.

Then, along came the bean counters and decided a penny could be saved by installing stamped and folded steel trigger bar ears. When you stamp something you get one side slightly rounded in and the other edge is sharply sheared. Unfortunately the folding process turned the sharp, sheared edge up toward the slide as shown. When the pistol is fired, narrow ramps under the slide hit the trigger bar ears which knocks the trigger down and disconnects it from the sear. So with every shot...the soft zinc hit these sharp ears. This quickly chewed up the underside of the slide. So, I re-profiled mine years ago.

I've done a dozen threads on the situation showing how to correct this. Walther had also made various efforts to correct the issue but they always take what appears to me to be the least expensive path. For example, in the photo above of my QD model they have made improvements by stamping the top of the ears during manufacture in an attempt to round that top, front edge...the only edge that touches anything. So, what do I do that almost totally eliminates trigger bar ear damage.

I take the trigger bars, turn the ears upside down on a piece of 360 grit emery paper and then drag the ears back and forth to create a slant that matches the slope of the ramp under the slide. I think it is 19 degrees if I remember correctly. Anyway, if you turn the ears upside down, let the front of the trigger bar arms slide on something like glass while the ears are on the emery paper....you will get an almost perfect match. Then I polish the ears a bit more with some 600 grit. Only the top, front of the ears is of importance. This is way better than required...but it is easy to do.

Which is why from time to time I might post a photo of how well the underside of the ramps are holding up against the steel ears. Above after 2,000 slide cycles. The ears are easy to knock down....it's just that narrow zinc slide ramps can't withstand sharp steel edges. And that is that story. 1917
imaoldfart and ZeeP22Q like this.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:14 PM   #16

ZeeP22Q .22
Thanks for adding photos 1917. My BK (2019) P22Q looks to have the molded trigger bar with the rounded ears, so it's probably good to go. Looks like the trigger bar would have to be removed to modify, so that would be a pain.
ZeeP22Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > P22 > FAQ: P22

Search tags for this page
1911 trigger bar ground off
can you see the ears on a p22 with slide off
damage on bottom of p22 slide
p22 trigger

p22 trigger ear

photo of walther p22 trigger bar ears
polished p22 ears
problem with walther \trigger bar
trigger bar mark on slide
walther p22 tigger bar ears break
walther p22 trigger bar ear
why is my p22 trigger so dificult
Click on a term to search for related topics.