Should we have a Lost/Stolen list here? - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion > FAQ: General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is a Lost / Stolen list a good idea?
Yes! 32 69.57%
Undecided 6 13.04%
No. 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
RCK
Memeber

RCK .22
Should we have a Lost/Stolen list here?

A recent post got me to thinking that it might be a service and benefit to WaltherForums members to have a way to report lost or stolen WALTHER firearms.

This would be relegated to Walther only, since we can't possibly be a clearing house for every possible gun make/model in the world.

Since I've never done anything like this, I'd open the floor to discussions about whether or not it's of value, if y'all think it would be used at all, how you'd go about managing the list, and any possible repercussions you can think of in terms of liability or hassle for us here.
ExFederale likes this.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #2

Sc0tt .22
it couldn't hurt. i have seen a few on other websites and they seem like hotbeds of activity lately.

maybe instead of walther only it could be accessible to members only? what if a longtime member has one of their other fine collectables stolen?
Sc0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #3

Boogs .22
Haven't voted, yet.. but just some questions and viewpoints

How effective are the lost/stolen items on other forums?

I've seen them, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a strong reliance on members viewing the topics. Including keeping a record, or a least note of what is being sold.

I imagine it is somewhat of a "shot in the dark" in terms of anything being returned, but it may serve as a method of hope for those who have experienced the unfortunate circumstance.

Will it be Walther specific?
ExFederale likes this.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
RCK
Memeber

RCK .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs View Post
Haven't voted, yet.. but just some questions and viewpoints

How effective are the lost/stolen items on other forums?

I've seen them, and correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a strong reliance on members viewing the topics. Including keeping a record, or a least note of what is being sold.

I imagine it is somewhat of a "shot in the dark" in terms of anything being returned, but it may serve as a method of hope for those who have experienced the unfortunate circumstance.

Will it be Walther specific?
All viewpoints welcome.

Wondering the same thing - is a list useful, or more hassle than it's worth? I guess the upside is that if you're buying privately, it might give a little extra peace of mind to check it first to see if it's listed as stolen or lost.

Per my post, yes, Walther only. I'm wondering if the way to do it might not be a moderated Sticky where posts must be approved by one of us first, then the moderators would keep a running tally in the first post to update model, serial number and status (date lost/stolen, recovered yes/no)
Captatnman likes this.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Seems to me that verification could be an issue. What would prevent someone from going online -- to one of the current auction sites, for example -- and posting up serial numberes of advertised guns, just to be a jerk, or to lessen competition in the bidding process, or who knows what other twisted reason? Stranger things have happened, and it could cause some serious issues for seller and potential buyers alike. I have no problem accommodating threads that provide a list of stolen firearms; we've had a few (though only a few) in the past. Providing an official stamp of approval on the process could become problematic.

Isn't there an online registry of reported stolen firearms?

Some links of interest, perhaps:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Tracing_Center

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/how-to/r...heft-loss.html

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publicatio...aspx?id=201983

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 03-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #6
RCK
Memeber

RCK .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
What would prevent someone from going online -- to one of the current auction sites, for example -- and posting up serial numberes of advertised guns, just to be a jerk, or to lessen competition in the bidding process, or who knows what other twisted reason?
Point taken. This is why it's good to ask the questions first.

There's an old axiom I use for both life and business: "Running off in a direction will always get you somewhere if you don't care where you end up."

That said, wouldn't the circumstances you indicate above also apply to those other official channels?
Old 03-01-2013, 11:04 AM   #7
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Sure, and without a doubt that's true, RCK. But they also have deeper pockets to sustain legal scrutiny, should the time come and a pesky lawyer appear indicating that faulty information posted here caused his client grevious pain and suffering and monetary loss and ... whatever. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done or that it's not a good idea. Perhaps with the right disclaimer, it would and could work out all right. But it's not without some risks, I'd think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
There's an old axiom I use for both life and business: "Running off in a direction will always get you somewhere if you don't care where you end up."
That's spot-on and well said.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #8

coloneljim .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
Seems to me that verification could be an issue. What would prevent someone from going online -- to one of the current auction sites, for example -- and posting up serial numberes of advertised guns, just to be a jerk, or to lessen competition in the bidding process, or who knows what other twisted reason? Stranger things have happened, and it could cause some serious issues for seller and potential buyers alike. I have no problem accommodating threads that provide a list of stolen firearms; we've had a few (though only a few) in the past. Providing an official stamp of approval on the process could become problematic.

Isn't there an online registry of reported stolen firearms?

Some links of interest, perhaps:

National Tracing Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ATF Online - Firearms - How To - Report Theft / Loss

https://www.ncjrs.gov/App/publicatio...aspx?id=201983

There may be others but here's one: HotGunz Stolen Gun Search

I entered the S/N for my P22 and it scared the hell out of me. The dialog box came up and immediately said "Warning Stolen Gun", then very quickly said "This serial number is not in our database". I guess the "warning - stolen gun" is the default message. Also put in a search for stolen guns within 50 miles of my zip and three guns popped up with owner's phone number. A P3AT, a Glock 27, and a S&W .40.
searcher451 and Jaems like this.

Last edited by coloneljim; 03-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.
coloneljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
A good point risen about verification. For example, I have no qualms about posting pictures of the serial numbers of my Walthers and if some arschloch decided to have a bit of fun and report mine as stolen when in fact it resides in my safe, I could expect the boys in blue in no time. And nobody needs that noise, especially in Massachus-Istan.

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Jaems .22
I think Searcher is right on this one. Too many liability problems could arise from having a section for stolen guns. There is always someone out there wanting a reason to sue.
Jaems is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion > FAQ: General Discussion

Search tags for this page

stolen walther

Click on a term to search for related topics.