Should we have a Lost/Stolen list here? - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion > FAQ: General Discussion

View Poll Results: Is a Lost / Stolen list a good idea?
Yes! 32 69.57%
Undecided 6 13.04%
No. 8 17.39%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2014, 05:09 AM   #11

P99pete .22
I think that serial numbers should be held confidential,if you lost a gun let the police know but don't broadcast it all over the internet. You never know when the information may be used against you for some reason or another in the future (e.g. by your own admission you own too many guns and are a threat to society for having an arsenal.). We live in dangerous times and freely handing out ammunition to the opposition is not warranted.

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 AM   #12

ShipWreck .22
I do not remember seeing such a section on any gun forum, and I am on TONS of them.

Someone is free at any time to just make a post stating that their gun got stolen - and here is the serial #. Granted, it would get buried in the site over time. I have seen such posts on forums many times, including my own.

But, to have an entire section dedicated to this can invite the kind of disaster that Searcher stated. I've dealt with threats of lawsuits while running a gun forum before. The average user sometimes doesn't realize the behind the scenes headaches that can sometimes arise when running a gun forum.

It was personal threats directed at me over the course of a long time that made me stop running the FN Forum for the site owner. I was the sole admin for quite some time there. The average user of a forum never knows that things like that go on.

So, why invite disaster. I've been asked before to have a section where people could put positive/negative reviews of local businesses. Man, can you imagine how that will go down when someone who owns a business who got a negative review and finds out about...

Anyway - sometimes, one has to think of all the liabilities before starting something like this. I voted "no" on the poll

Last edited by ShipWreck; 01-10-2014 at 07:20 AM.
ShipWreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 02:08 AM   #13

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by searcher451 View Post
Seems to me that verification could be an issue. What would prevent someone from going online -- to one of the current auction sites, for example -- and posting up serial numberes of advertised guns, just to be a jerk, or to lessen competition in the bidding process, or who knows what other twisted reason?
I like the idea but I voted 'no' for the reasons outlined by Searcher. Confirmation/verification is an issue ... and if this can't be done properly, I feel it probably shouldn't do it, at all...
Gun Safety Rule #1: Carry one.
Pump actions speak louder than words.
NRA Certified Instructor, Range Safety Officer, & Benefactor Member
surrealone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2015, 08:50 PM   #14

Sarge .22
Exclamation

WHY should confirmation that you owned the gun and that it was stolen be a problem?? UNLESS you didn't file a police report!
IF a police report was filed - as I did with several pistols that were stolen, including a P.38 & PPK - then there is no way someone can come back on you for any kind of false ownership claim!
Seems to me like some of the paranoia of not showing ser nrs on weapons posted on the internet. You'll notice that I do not hide mine and never have! I have a bill of sale for every one of my guns - never buy one w/o it - so I don't worry about it!
Sarge
UniversalExports likes this.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:03 PM   #15

surrealone .38
You'll notice I don't hide my serial numbers in photos, either. That said, I don't see any value in a lost/stolen list unless we have a means to be sure that every lost/stolen post is actually correct/true. Key to this is that my serial numbers in photos have no potential to colour if/how other humans choose to deal with one another ... but a lost/stolen list will do exactly that -- hence the importance of the data being 100% true/correct/dependable.

You bring up police reports. Great ... in theory only! In practice, your mention of a police report number means the lost/stolen post has to include the police report number -- which, alone, is useless unless it also includes info about the department with which it was filed ... such as how to get in touch with the department. And the inclusion of report number and department info is still no guarantee that there's accuracy, as someone has to follow up by calling the number and asking about the report, right?

Human nature being what it is (i.e. tendency toward path of least resistance) ... how many people would do that for every lost/stolen post? Probably not many... meaning we're back to most people trusting data that could be bogus ... and having their dealings with other humans coloured by it.

Sorry -- but I'm of the opinion this either needs to be implemented correctly (i.e. such that it's always accurate/dependable info ... no extra steps needed since people will probably ignore them) ... or not at all.

Last edited by searcher451; 02-03-2015 at 09:44 AM. Reason: bandwidth
Old 03-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #16

nowhere .22
About a year ago I got a phone call from a detective tracking stolen guns. Bottom line: About a year earlier, I had bought a WW !! Walther from a highly reputable dealer in collectible firearms and LE wanted it. Several months later, I received my full refund from the dealer. The other bottom line is I really was so pleased to have gotten this PPK in 32 cal. But I had already voted "yes" on the poll here, before I even read the excellent objections raised by knowledgeable site members, and I now conclude that their objections are completely sound. So, if I might venture a third and final "bottom line," (promise, ha-ha) I would now change my vote to "no," at least until we figure out how we can nullify the generous supply of jerks out there who can screw things up without destroying our liberty. Where are you now, Thomas Jefferson?
nowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #17

ExFederale .22
I tend to disagree based on facts and current liability law.
As a retired Federal agent and time as a state agent in the Midwest, this could be a safely used tool for members only-registered .
Current local LE and ATF have there own tasks. Short of law enforcement
encountering the firearm, its a small needle in a large haystack.
My background also includes law school and lawyer time, with much attention to related prosecution.

Any exposure within this forum may help-and the action would not involve
the Forums but would be an owner to owner contact issue, with possible law enforcement help. It cannot possibly hurt the chances for return, there is virtually no risk of real liability-and a Walther may be returned to its rightful owner.

This is not a moot point. Somewhere out there is a 1968
Walther PPK-121515 A
original-380/9mm K Ulm/DO. Stolen from me, entered into NCIC,
but all channels help. The last vote tally showed support for
this idea. Why don't we let the membership decide. RM
ExFederale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #18

Herr Walther Unproven
After I saw that serial number I had to pull out my list and check for past owned Walthers.

I had a '68 NIB with the number 131225A. Close enough to jar my memory, but later production of that year.

I hope you get your Walther back one day.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:22 AM   #19

surrealone .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFederale View Post
The last vote tally showed support for
this idea. Why don't we let the membership decide. RM
You seem to be under the impression that the owners/managers of this community run it as a democracy. However, we forum members do not pay taxes to them, and our votes are, at most, symbolic ... because in reality this community is a benign dictatorship (like most online communities, I should add).

I feel your pain and hope you recover your asset.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:02 PM   #20

ExFederale .22
Everyone will have an opinion on this issue. Perhaps the only ones who
should vote are those who have had a Walther "lost" or stolen. Though
our society in the U.S.is liberally off track, and litigation phobic-we should take action.

As a retired Federal agent with law school background; we need to at least msg our
stolen Walthers. So.....Walther PPK (380ACP) 9mmKurz SN 121515A

Stolen firearms should be entered into the NCIC database also-through your local
police department.
ExFederale is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion > FAQ: General Discussion

Search tags for this page

stolen walther

Click on a term to search for related topics.