Lehigh Cavitator in .32 acp - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion > FAQ: General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #1

Gene L .22
Lehigh Cavitator in .32 acp

They won't work in my PPK. They won't feed off the mag, which is a shame. So I'm back to hardball in my PPK and my FN 1910. I'd like to be able to get 1000 fps and a good ballastic signature, but I expect and count on follow ups.

Sorry if this has been discussed already...I did a search and did find something from 2016.
Gene L is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-24-2019, 09:14 PM   #2

1942bull .22
Even if they fed the reality is that the ballistics of a 32 regardless of the bullet design are poor for SD. Yes, 32 is better than a pointed stick. But I see it as a lot resort because you cannot have better.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:55 PM   #3

Gene L .22
Well, they penetrate enough to be deadly. Over-penetration, in HB, according to the gel tests. For some reason, the .32 appeals to me. Oh, I've got other far superior ballistically, to the .32, but for my pocket, the PPK seems at home. There is a video of gel tests on the .32 and the Cavitator penetrated 13 or more inches and left a good wound cavity. The Gold Dot HP expanded fully, but under-penetrated by a good deal. Probably enough to get the job done, but a lot less than the other two. The HB exceeded the FBI standards (18"?) but with no cavity.

No handgun round is a man-stopper. They lack the energy. But the .32 affords a lot quicker follow-up shots with little recoil. And a lot of European police and military used them. Adolph Hitler thankfully killed himself with a .32 to the head, a PPK.

Back when I was a cop, I carried a .25 Jetfire as a last ditch weapon. At the time, it was about all that was small, available, and affordable. It was a good, limited pistol. Wish I still had it.

Last edited by Gene L; 08-24-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #4

1942bull .22
Yes, it is possible that a small caliber round will incapacitate. A well thrown rock can also incapacitate as can a falling tree limb. But let’s talk about probability not possibility. The military has gone to 9mm. The FBI and other federal agencies have gone or are going to 9mm. Many law enforcement departments are going to 9mm. Is that a message or not?

I have a 38o,pocket pistol. I carry it only when I cannot conceal my PPS M2 well enough to meet conditions. That is maybe twice a year. If and when I can work out carrYing my 9mm only at all times that is what I will do. Why? Because the probability of an incapacitating wound from 9mm exceeds the probability of that from 380. I would not consider carrying 32 or 22 unless that was all I could have. It is your life. And it is your only life.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Old 08-25-2019, 12:16 AM   #5

Gene L .22
Don't under-estimate the .32. It's not a one-shot stopper, but what handgun is? On facebook, I just today read a post about a LA cop (Stacy Lim) who was off-duty and was the subject of a car of gangbangers who followed her home with the intent of carjacking. She was shot in the chest by a .357, but chased the shooter down and killed him. She was in critical condition, died twice on the operating table, but lived. The shooter did not. I doubt she was armed with a .32, but I think this illustrates that no handgun round, even the vaunted .357, is a one-shot gun.

I would estimate my opportunities of using a .32 apc in a SD situation where I live to be extremely remote. If I were worried a whole lot about personal stopping power, I'd carry my 65 .357, which is concealable but unwieldy. If I felt seriously compelled to carry a SD weapon, it would be my Sig 365, which is isn't much larger than the PPK, but not as easy to carry. I like the .32. It gives me the degree of confidence with which I am satisfied. I don't live in a combat zone. Gun crime is almost unknown in Watkinsville; there are no street gangs, no robberies, no assaults on the few streets we have. A great place to live.

FYI, my FN 1910 works flawlessly with the Cavitator. It has no sights to speak of and is a close-up-only, but most SD situations are close-up-only. I guess I could carry my PPK-s .380 for the extra firepower, but I don't. I'm a minimalist.

Last edited by Gene L; 08-25-2019 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #6

1942bull .22
I certainly agree that the notion of a one shot incapacitation from a handgun bullet is unlikely, but possible. The lowly 22 kills more people worldwide than any other caliber. That is because there are more 22 caliber guns worldwide than any other caliber not because of bullet ballistic performance. The 22 and 32 do offer a side benefit by virtue of low recoil which can improve accuracy. So hitting a spot that would incapacitate is easier for the inexperienced shooter. However, if the bullet does not have the penetration needed to reach the vital part, break through bone, tear up muscle it is less likely to incapacitate.

If I could be certain that in a gunfight I could assuredly place a shot into end eye of the opponent I would carry a 22. Same goes if I could hit right below the nose. The eye shot hits the brain. The upper lip shot passes back to hit the brain stem. That would end the fight. We both know that such scenarios are extremely unlikely in a hostile encounter.

Accordingly I do not consider anything under 380 as a good self defense round. But ant bullet is better than no bullet. We have to be to satisfied with our personal choice. I am, and if you are that is all that matters.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > General Discussion > FAQ: General Discussion