Any tips on gun safes? - Page 3 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM   #21
Supporting Member

photohause .22
Let us know when it arrives Que

What new gun my Dear, this old thing?
photohause is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 11-26-2007, 08:26 PM   #22

cs133atom .22
Patriot Safe has, IMHO, a great safe. I haven't purchased one yet; however I have been researching safes for about 6 months now myself. I would recommend checking them out...I figure it this way. I'm not going to compromise $20K worth of guns in a $599.00 safe...I want to make sure that not only is it secure, but what I put in it will not be damaged either. I also want to have easy access to the contents of the safe, so external hinges are a must. Proper lighting, humidity control and warranty all come into play as well for me. Like I said Patriot has answered most of my requirements so far and looks like February will be my purchase date. Good luck in your search and if you find anything compelling between now and then post away.

Thanks,

Craig
cs133atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:44 AM   #23

153 .22
Noticed that Deputy found holes in the bottom of his safe.......

I would use these to bolt the safe to the floor (If you are not on a slab). I did this and it makes the safe a lot more secure. We have had at least one burglary in town where the bad guys had a refrigerator dolly and actully were able to cart the entire safe away.

While that is not a likely occurance, anything is possible especially if the burglars plan ahead.

"The beggar who is sitting in the marketplace is completely deaf in so much as far as listening to the song that is coming from the Mockingbird is concerned."

Bond's Walther PPK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SimIUgsMQQk

Bond's Beretta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Bc...ature=youtu.be
153 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #24
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
The Sentry safe that I just bought comes supplied with two holes in the floor and another two on the back wall. Two lag screws and a two wall anchors also are cinluded in the package. It's a good idea to bolt everything down; a creative thief with a strong back or a dolly -- or a partner or two -- could, as Brad states, run away with the whole thing, which sort of defeats the purpose of having a safe in the first place.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #25

SELFDEFENSE Unproven
My lowly Homak double key lock corner unit is bolted to the cement foundation floor and two walls. Only hope the doors hold.
SELFDEFENSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 04:51 PM   #26

BessonGuy Unproven
I have an American Security BF6032 RSC and am satisfied with it. Better than average fire protection (filled with a concrete like material). Nice finish. Heavy: 850 lbs. The bolts are unimpressive when you take the inner door panel off. Would look more at sturdy safe if i had to do it again.

YMMV

Don
BessonGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:05 AM   #27
Que

Que .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by photohause View Post
Let us know when it arrives Que

It arrived today. It was purchased through Costco and is badged "Executive Vault" but is a Cannon Safe AE-31 60"H x 36"W x 24"D. After Costco took the order (and the money) I was pretty much left to deal with Cannon directly tracking the shipping. Initially there was some confusion, but once it's with the shipper (Roadrunner, in this case) very detailed tracking is provided.

The safe arrived without the initial six digit combo (which you change to your own) so I had no way to open the safe, and Cannon is closed this week. So, knowing that they couldn't keep individual combos for every safe, I tried "123456" and the safe opened. That was a relief and pure luck.

Overall I'm very pleased with the safe. It is lined with a felt-like fabric and is somewhat modular. I opted to keep the lower left quadrant for long guns but both sides can hold them if you wish. If you keep one side for shelves they can be adjusted for height. Basically, in any configuration, you have one upper shelf running the whole width. The next level down the is top rack for long guns, which can be either all for long guns the entire width, or 1/2 of the space shelves running down to the floor. I chose to go with shelves all the way to the floor on one half, and the other half for long guns. Right now I have eleven long guns in the safe including an AR, PTR91, Cetme, FN FAL, modified SKS, Bushmaster M17S, WASR10, and three Saigas. I should have room to fit my Storm CX4. My only complaint is that the indented rack is set too high to hold many of the rifles at muzzle height, but things seem to fit well nonetheless. Bullpups and carbines are lost in there, and if I end up acquiring an AK47 Bullpup and a Mauser 98 I may well acquire a smaller safe and dedicate it to long guns. Obviously, removing magazines makes storing more rifles possible.

As to holding handguns, right now I'm somewhere around 60 (I never count exact numbers) with most in the rubber coated stands that hold either six or four. With all but the largest handguns, racks can be set two deep on a shelf with a six gun rack in the back and a four gun rack in the front of the shelf. There is room at the front of the shelf to lay guns flat. With proper placement you can lay in quite a few. The very lowest shelf, actually the vault floor, is a space large enough to hold my Brugger & Thomet and Desert Eagle, both in 16 inch nylon tac cases. My PLR16 has to lay on the upper rifle rack level in between the muzzles that are high enough to get to the rack. Not a great thing, but it'll do for now.

Take care to attach the shelf catches properly. If not properly anchored the shelf will tumble. There's a little more give with this shelf system than I'd like, but overall it works. The American Eagle is the economy model so I don't know if the shelves are more firm with more costly models. Hardware is provided to add extra shleves. I think one more half-width shelf would fit (for handguns) and possibly two if other stuff is to be stored.

The hole for running the cord for a dehumidifying rod has to be drilled from the outside back as it is covered from the inside. As my movers were on the clock, and I thought the hole would be open, I will be left to get measurements from Cannon to locate the hole to drill it from the inside (or use a magnet to locate it). I had a Browning dehumidfying rod that turned out to be defective (last one Bass Pro had that had been returned and re-shelved) so I didn't take the time to do the drilling, which I should have right then and there threading through some cord through to act as a guide later to snake the heating element into the vault.

The safe didn't come with an owner's manual and precious little info on the few scraps that did come with it. I'll be following up with Cannon. They make a fine safe but in the phone conversations that I had with them, and based on their ommissions, they don't seem to be particularly organized or efficient with customer service. At worst it is a minor annoyance.

Overall I'm very pleased.

I'd also add that with the American Eagle you are saving money by compromising on finish. It is a very utilitarian silvery black finish that says "don't mess with me". If it's going in your living area you may want fancy colors and hunting scenes with mallards and such, but I have no need for that.

Q

Last edited by Que; 12-28-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 07:06 AM   #28

Pitmaster .22

Need empty and full please.

I still have to get a few more guns to get a safe. I only have 2 pistols one in my basement office and the other in the nightstand or on my belt.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:22 AM   #29
Que

Que .22
Sorry, the safe is now full and I'm not prone to display a photo of the contents on the Internet.

Q

Last edited by Que; 12-28-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:15 AM   #30
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
It's understandable that Que would not want to provide internet photos of a safe filled with guns. Try this link to get your pix-fix instead:

http://www.cannonsafe.com/safesamericaneagle.nxg

Here's a link to Cabela's, which features pictures of the safe both open (with guns inside) and closed:

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0034768227718a.shtml

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
bighorn 19ecb
bighorn 19ecb review

bighorn 19ecb safe

bighorn 19ecb safe review

bighorn 19ecb safe reviews

cabelas gun safe
cabelas gun safe reviews
cabelas safe review
executive vault gun safe
home depot gun safe
job box gun safe
ridgid job box
Click on a term to search for related topics.