Make your own reactive targets - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2016, 06:04 PM   #11

ewigeSchlangenkraft .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
I usually make a big batch of targets in the spring and fall as these are the best times for spray painting.
Pudge
I just went out and got 5 sheets of neon green and found laminating sheets and cheap spraypaint, but it's cold and raining outside. I guess I missed the recommendation to wait for decent weather. ; )

Thanks so much for this. I can't wait to get them made. I may have to paint indoors by converting my shower into a paint booth (while wearing goggles and respirator)
ewigeSchlangenkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #12

Rustedbucket .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewigeSchlangenkraft View Post
but it's cold and raining outside.
Sounds like Chicago.

I'm still hoping to get these made. Just need to find the time. Love the idea.
Rustedbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 AM   #13
Supporting Member

Pudge .22
Inclement weather is when I cut the poster board into the four pieces, apply the laminate, and mark the bulls eye. Since the laminate sheets come in a box of 50, when I actually do the painting I usually have 50 targets all set and ready to go. It usually takes me about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to paint 50 targets.

The only hard part is learning to roll out the laminate sheets. You may end up ruining 2 or 3 targets during the learning process. Even now I still occasionally end up with a crease or bubble. Just roll them out the best you can and go ahead and paint them. Twenty feet down range and you'll never see it, plus all you are going to do is shoot holes in them and throw 'em away.

The only other tip I can think of is, I keep two different sizes of plugs. One made from a quarter, and another larger one about 1 3/4 in dia. made from a fender washer. I use the smaller bulls eye for close range, and the larger bulls eye for longer distances.

For sighting in rifles, I have even used the full 28 X 22 green poster board, and put 4 laminate sheets butted together to cover almost the whole poster board. Next I used a gallon paint bucket for the bull's eye and sprayed the black paint on. Since the green bull's eye area is so large and does not produce a splash, I put the paint can on a piece of cardboard, traced out a circle around it, then cut out the circle so it's the same diameter as the paint can. Line the cardboard up with the green bull's eye, and spray paint it fluorescent orange or white. Now the bull's eye will produce a splash also.

Put it out 100 yds use a spotting scope or binoculars and it works great.

Pudge
MGMike likes this.
Pudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2016, 11:54 AM   #14

ewigeSchlangenkraft .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
The only other tip I can think of is, I keep two different sizes of plugs. One made from a quarter, and another larger one about 1 3/4 in dia. made from a fender washer. I use the smaller bulls eye for close range, and the larger bulls eye for longer distances. Pudge
Yeah given my inbound PPS, I have decided to make mostly 8x8" squares with a diamond grid of some sort with a circular bullseye like you did. I might make a few bigger ones for longer range also. I'll post the results if they aren't too embarrassing.
ewigeSchlangenkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Supporting Member

Pudge .22
Here is something I haven't done in a while, and I probably should do it more regularly.

If you hold the 14" x 11" quarter sheet of poster board up to your chest, it is a close approximation of where you want to aim. However, I have yet to see a criminal considerate enough to wear a shirt with a bull's eye and/or concentric circles and/or cross hair printed on it. Maybe some legislator should introduce a bill to that effect.

So sometimes I will take a 14" x 11" sheet of poster board, carefully mark the center point, and push a phillips head screw driver through the poster board. Then I paint the entire poster board black. The small hole is a center point reference that can't be seen down range.

Then I run the target out about 20 feet. I grip the pistol as I would when presenting the firearm, with my trigger finger on the side of the slide, and put the bottom of the hands on the shelf of the shooting station. Then raise the gun, acquire the target, and fire. Then lower the hands and repeat.

The first few times I was all over the target. I didn't realize how dependent I was on that 3/4" bull's eye and how deficient I was on judging the center of the target without it. It makes sense, with the 3/4" bull's eye, you are aiming small and missing small. Without the bull's eye, I am assuming your mind's eye is acquiring the entire target and then shooting at that. In other words, aiming large and missing large.

I had to slow things down quite a bit and spend a second or two judging the center of the target. Then after a magazine or two, I started speeding things up a little each time. After about 50 rounds, let's just say I was way better than when I started.

As I said in the beginning, I haven't done this in a while. I think next time at the range I will do this again.

Pudge
Pudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

making your own reactive targets

Click on a term to search for related topics.