Making dummy cartridges - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #11

Rick_R .22
I needed a quantity of dummy rounds for work and none of the usual suspects had any available. I took a box of factory ammo, pulled the bullets, dumped the powder, fired the primer and deprimed.

Then I reseated the bullets to factory spec and drilled the flash hole out. I obtained some bright orange paint from an auto paint store, some slow (45 minute) setting epoxy from a hobby store and a syringe from the vet. I set the casings bullet down in a loading block, mixed several CCs of the epoxy with a couple drops of the paint, sucked it up in the syringe and injected it into the case thru the primer pocket, filling till it was even with the base of the case.

Voila! Dummy rounds that resist bullet set back and have a soft material that cushions the firing pin. The red "primers" are clearly visible but these can be used for "ball and dummy" drills while training.
Rick_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #12

BornFighting88 .22
Using this method!!!
BornFighting88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #13
RCK
Memeber

RCK .22
Question from the uninformed ignoramus: Wouldn't it just be easier to buy snap caps?

Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 AM   #14

M_E_ .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
I'm sorry but I don't subscribe to any such blanket statements. How do you measure firing pin protrusion on a Colt Government Model? Or, for that matter since this is a Walther forum, on a .380 Walther PPK?

M
I did say "modern firearm". The 1911 is now 100 years old and the PP / PPK is 82 years of age. Times and designers ideas change.

NRA Life Member

Residing in the Great Free State of Arizona
M_E_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #15

Rick_R .22
RCK,

None of the commercial dummy rounds have lasted well, and 100 snap caps would be a bit expensive. I've wanted to try this method and so far they're holding up splendidly.
Rick_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #16
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCK View Post
Question from the uninformed ignoramus: Wouldn't it just be easier to buy snap caps?
That's a fair question.

Snap caps are basically just good for dry fire practice. They are rarely, if ever, a precise duplicate of any particular cartridge, let alone the particular brand and bullet shape you are using. Real ammunition itself varies considerably from one brand and style to another.

Dummy cartridges, on the other hand, can be used for function-testing and diagnosis. If you make them from the same type cartridges that you shoot, the dummies will exactly duplicate their weight and dimensions-- in particular the more subtle differences such as bullet ogive, extractor groove depth, etc.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_E_ View Post
I did say "modern firearm". The 1911 is now 100 years old and the PP / PPK is 82 years of age. Times and designers ideas change.
Thanks, it's a dark and gloomy day here and you made me giggle.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Search tags for this page
.38 caliber dummy rounds

.380 dummy rounds

380 dummy rounds

dummy ammo 380
dummy bullet primers
dummy bullets for walther ppk

dummy cartridges

dummy pistol primers

dummy primers

how to make dummy bullets

making dummy ammo
making dummy rounds
Click on a term to search for related topics.