The difference between a magazine and a clip - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Super Moderator

UniversalExports .38
The difference between a magazine and a clip

The short explanation is that a magazine is spring loaded and encases the all of the entire rounds save the top one, which is partially exposed. As the gun fires and cylces, the magazine spring brings the next unfired round to the loading position.

A clip is not spring loaded, generally does not cover the entire round, and thus only holds the round at the base. In the case of the M1 Garand, the clip feeds rounds into an internal magazine (actually a spring-loaded follower) incorporated into the rifle. In other cases, clips are used to facilitate rapid reload of an external magazine before insertion into the weapon, such as with reloading the rotary magazine on a Thompson submachine gun.

The Globe is a ship that has everything—
Including a serial killer with a large knife
and a penchant for the rich and beautiful.

Visit me at my Blog and on Facebook
UniversalExports is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
MLB

MLB .22
A quick clip (heh) showing the difference that's only mildly haughty:
Old 03-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
The difference between a magazine and a clip

We hear this debated, sometimes at great length, and lots of newcomers will ask the question. Both Universal Exports and MLB have nice offerings (above) that readily explains it -- and don't miss MGMike's offering below, either: In short, an instant Sticky for future reference for one and all.

Feel free to add on to the discussion, of course.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Last edited by searcher451; 03-12-2010 at 10:23 AM.
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Between the two, the FUNCTIONAL distinction is that a MAGAZINE contains an integral mechanism (usually a spring or a spring-driven device) that individually presents each cartridge in succession for feeding, each time the firearm's action is cycled.

A CLIP merely holds cartridges together ("clipped together") in a package so they can be conveniently loaded into the firearm or into a detachable magazine. It does not contain any mechanism to individually present the cartridges for feeding.

There are basically two types of clips: en bloc and stripper. An en bloc clip is inserted into the gun and remains there to hold the cartridges until the ammunition is expended. A stripper clip is emptied as the gun is loaded (cartridges are "stripped out") and then can be discarded; it does not go inside the gun.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #5

aikido007 .22
Wonderful! Also, thanks to MGMike for further information. I'm glad to be the newbie to inspire MLB's wonderful sticky. hehe :P

All the best!
-Luke
aikido007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
MLB

MLB .22
Maybe someday I'll find out who actually created the thing. I don't recall where I scarfed it from.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #7

Deputy .38
Very odd, but back in the mid-60s Uncle Sammie described the 7 shot "container" that the 1911A1 used to contain and feed ammo into the pistol as a "clip". And if you watch many old WW2 movies you will frequently hear someone say "I am out of clips", and they will be referring to a weapon that uses magazines. The Navy calls the place where they store ammo for their guns on the ships as "magazines". And I don't think they use spring-loaded devices to load those big guns.
Also, Uncle Sammie would get all bajiggity about calling your riflle a "gun". If you watch the movie Full Metal Jacket and see those guys marching around chanting "This is my rifle and this is my gun, this is for fighting and this is for fun", we really DID do that (and I was in the Army). But only if we accidently called a rifle a "gun". Supposedly guns meant smoothbore weapons like a shotgun. But that theory goes out the window because artillerymen called their howitzers guns and they WERE and are rifled.

I don't know when people got all anally retentive about differentiating between a magazine and a clip. To me it seems to be much ado about nothing. If I say my SIG P226 uses a 15 shot clip, does anyone think I am referring to a pre-loaded strip of cartridges like an M1 Garand uses? I doubt it. And to be honest. I like using the term clip for all my handguns. Why? Two reasons...
1. Because that's the way I was taught
2. It always seems to piss off the anally retentive definition Nazi who insists that people use HIS description over any other. Just call me a rebel.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Last edited by Deputy; 05-09-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Deputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
MLB

MLB .22
I'd never presume to doubt a man who's been there, but Uncle Sammy's own manual refers to it as a magazine. It's an interesting read if nothing else:

http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/manual.htm

I certainly don't care to enforce any terminology, but everything has a proper name I guess, and it's good to know the difference. It's a sticking point with some. You've got to try harder than gunslang to agitate this anal retentive though

There's a big difference between assisting fellow gun enthusiasts in learning about firearms, and simply being pedantic. No one learns much by being pounced on for fine points.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 PM   #9

Deputy .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB View Post
I'd never presume to doubt a man who's been there, but Uncle Sammy's own manual refers to it as a magazine. It's an interesting read if nothing else:

http://www.sightm1911.com/manual/manual.htm

I certainly don't care to enforce any terminology, but everything has a proper name I guess, and it's good to know the difference. It's a sticking point with some. You've got to try harder than gunslang to agitate this anal retentive though

There's a big difference between assisting fellow gun enthusiasts in learning about firearms, and simply being pedantic. No one learns much by being pounced on for fine points.
I guess I should have been more specific. My DIs that were employed by Uncle Sammie called it a clip. They were all combat vets wearing CIBs and none of us green trainees were about to argue the point with a guy that actually fired the 1911A1 in combat.
If they called it a thingamajig or a whatchamacallit we would use that same terminology. You just don't argue with someone who has "been there and done that".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #10

anglaispierre .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy View Post
You just don't argue with someone who has "been there and done that".
But in your own mind you know he is wrong.

I like to see words used properly. It is part of my English upbringing. I still think that cool is something between cold and slightly warm. But even here in France they have adopted the modern usage, c'est cool. I even hear old French guys ( I mean men) saying that. And kids (I mean children) speak a totally different language to me. Times they are a changing.

I found a clip (and I mean clip) full of 30-06 Spr cartridges (or should I say bullets) in one of my outbuildings that you "guys" left after the last big event over here. I unloaded them all and cleaned some of them into their original condition. But all of my rifles and pistols take magazines.

I'm not as perfectionist, but I am trying! But even now my gin and tonic is fighting my attempts. So if I have made any errors, blame the gin, or the computer.

Pierre
anglaispierre is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > General Interest > Free Range Time > FAQ: Free Range Time

Search tags for this page

difference between a clip and a magazine

difference between a mag and a clip

difference between a magazine and a clip

difference between clip and magazine

difference between mag and clip

difference between magazine and clip

difference between mags and clips
difference in clip and magazine
magazine vs clip difference

what is the difference between a clip and a magazine

what is the difference between a mag and a clip

what is the difference between a magazine and a clip

Click on a term to search for related topics.