Modell 8 (Variation 1) in collection: parts and extractor issues - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics > FAQ: The Classics

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

AoxoMoxoA .22
Modell 8 (Variation 1) in collection: parts and extractor issues

New to my meager, but nonetheless growing collection is a first generation Modell 8 - I'm guessing from about 1923-1924... This is a very accurate 6.35mm (25acp) pocket-sized pistol with an enclosed hammer and tiny fixed sights, that are challenging to use for those of us with aging eyes... The magazine holds 8-rounds, and has a large "W" imprinted on the bottom plate. Later variations had the Walther banner on the bottom plate of the magazines. Of note (maybe common to this era?) are the double stamped marks of the crown over N and the "Made in Germany," both enlarged for detail.

For those who do not know, the Modell 8 was the direct predecessor to the PP-series pistols, with many patents debuted that would become standard features on the PP-series, such as the pivoting trigger-guard-slide lock among others. One feature which thankfully did not carry to the PP was the internal extractor (pictured) on the side of the removable breech block. In addition to extracting cartridges, it served to hold the removable breech block in position by springing outward into a slot within the slide. On the later variations the entire system was changed to a fixed breech block and claw-type extractor with plunger and spring similar to the ones found on the PP-series. These early variation 1 extractors are extremely fragile, made of very thin spring steel and were prone to breakage if handled, which led to the complete redesign of the part for the variation 2 Modell 8. The extractor on my pistol was broken when I picked it up, and I learned myself how difficult it is to locate, fit and install a new one without breaking it.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 07-24-2012 at 04:17 PM.
AoxoMoxoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Very nice, AMA; that's a wonderful addition. Every Walther fan should have at least a couple of representative examples of the Modell pistols, IMO. The 4 and 8 are readily available and can be added at a reasonable cost, in most cases. Thanks for sharing your good fortune; looks like a beauty.

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Pilotsteve .22
That's a real beauty you have there, AoxoMoxoA. Have you fired it? I love how small it is... talk about a pocket pistol with some real elegance about it!

-Pilotsteve
Pilotsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #4

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotsteve View Post
Have you fired it? I love how small it is... talk about a pocket pistol with some real elegance about it!
Yes, I have fired it, and it's quite the nice little shooter! The fixed sights are very tiny though, so for those of you who sport bi-focals, as do I, you need to find the "sweet spot" of your lens to best see and work with the sights.

For a size comparison, I've placed it atop my '62 PP...

Old 07-27-2012, 11:48 PM   #5

metrotps .22
Very Very nice. I have one, S/N 4586xx, that has much less finish than yours but internally is good. It came with a broken extractor also and I got one but have not installed it yet. Any tips or tricks that you could share for installing the extractor?
I have a soft spot in my head for small pistols and would really like to shoot it.
metrotps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 08:21 AM   #6

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrotps View Post
I have one, S/N 4586xx, that has much less finish than yours but internally is good. It came with a broken extractor also and I got one but have not installed it yet. Any tips or tricks that you could share for installing the extractor?
Is there enough of the extractor left that the breech block is still held in place by the spring tension? If so, you can shoot it as is. Being a blowback design, the cartridges will blow out the back of the chamber and come in contact with the ejector which will deflect them out of the ejection port. I shot mine prior to locating the replacement extractor, and probably had 98% of the rounds I shot eject properly, with the occasional FTE. The extractor's function on blowback pistols is primarily for manual extraction of the round.

Regarding installation of the new extractor, I'd be happy to share all i know on the process, but it all depends on which extractor you have. Where did you get it? Is it an original part or a replacement part?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #7

metrotps .22
My extractor was missing when I rescued the Walther from the funshow. I got the replacement from here Welcome to Wisner's, obsolete gun parts. about 3 years ago.
If you need I'll send or post a picture and thanks for any help.
metrotps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #8

AoxoMoxoA .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrotps View Post
My extractor was missing when I rescued the Walther from the funshow. I got the replacement from here Welcome to Wisner's, obsolete gun parts. about 3 years ago.
If you need I'll send or post a picture and thanks for any help.
So you've had the part for three years and haven't yet shot the gun? If so, we need to take care of that...

Yes, post a photo or two of the part...
Old 07-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #9
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Wisner's website, incidentally, has an extensive list of other parts sources.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #10
Super Moderator

searcher451 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
Wisner's website, incidentally, has an extensive list of other parts sources.

M
And thanks for already adding the site to the Sticky list of gun parts for the older Walthers, MGMike.

In case you haven't yet seen it, in the PP/TP section:

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/p...ete-parts.html

Μολὼν λαβέ
searcher451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics > FAQ: The Classics

Search tags for this page

amazon/walther mod.8. 6.35 ammunition

how to find date walther model 8 was made

walther 6.35 model 8

walther 6.35 pistol model 8

walther 8
walther mod 8 6.35
walther model 8

walther model 8 6.35

walther model 8 disassembly instructions

walther model 8 extractor

walther model 8 manual

walther model 8 parts

Click on a term to search for related topics.