P99 & P99c AS 9mm, PPX .40, PPS M2 9mm, and
PPQ M1 9mm!
muckaleewarrior71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

Handy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by P99pete View Post
I have had a P99 barrel come apart at the lug under the chamber, this was an old Gen1 P99 with a very low serial number too just after they came out. Will not trust barrels now that are made from multiple pieces. MIM is also not a way to inspire confidence.
What does a one piece P99 barrel have to do with it?

Personally, I have no problems with multi-piece barrels - done right it is a very strong design. However, having MIM locking surfaces doesn't seem like a great idea. But something has to make it a $300 Walther 9mm.

Edit: Which part is actually MIM? Is it the locking portions, or just the feed ramp? If the majority of the breech-end chunk is forged, then there really isn't a problem.

Last edited by Handy; 04-29-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #13

P99pete .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
What does a one piece P99 barrel have to do with it?
The point is that if a one piece design can fail a multi piece design is more likely to fail as there are multiple points of failure. One of the problems is that welds/joins are never as strong as a monolithic piece. I certainly do not wish to introduce that possibility to a part as critical as a barrel.

Quote:
Personally, I have no problems with multi-piece barrels - done right it is a very strong design. However, having MIM locking surfaces doesn't seem like a great idea. But something has to make it a $300 Walther 9mm.

Edit: Which part is actually MIM? Is it the locking portions, or just the feed ramp? If the majority of the breech-end chunk is forged, then there really isn't a problem.
MIM is never as good as a solid, forged piece, therefore should be avoided if possible. Mold marks on MIM are potential problem areas as are ejector pin marks. I would rather buy more expensive and more quality then buy cheap with potential for failure. If cost is really such a factor, I suggest Hi Point for much less cost and possibly better design/build. Not that I would ever sink to the depths of buying a Hi Point.

Government, in all forms, is just controlled oppression.

People should not be afraid of their government, governments should be afraid of their people. -V

Getting old and cranky in my old age, just like old men are supposed to be.
P99pete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2017, 10:16 PM   #14

muckaleewarrior71 .22
Why even waste time posting in this thread if you know you don't like the gun and/or how it's made? Most people that have bought the Creed really like it and I'm sure it's a great shooter. This is social media though, so have at it if you must.

PPQ M1 9mm!
Old 04-29-2017, 11:10 PM   #15

Handy .22
Quote:
The point is that if a one piece design can fail a multi piece design is more likely to fail as there are multiple points of failure. One of the problems is that welds/joins are never as strong as a monolithic piece. I certainly do not wish to introduce that possibility to a part as critical as a barrel.

MIM is never as good as a solid, forged piece, therefore should be avoided if possible. Mold marks on MIM are potential problem areas as are ejector pin marks. I would rather buy more expensive and more quality then buy cheap with potential for failure. If cost is really such a factor, I suggest Hi Point for much less cost and possibly better design/build. Not that I would ever sink to the depths of buying a Hi Point.
I don't think any of that is strictly true. In this case, the forging grain alignment of the breech-block can be matched to the angles of that part, rather than arbitrarily parallel to the barrel. Having a barrel tube pressed into another piece is how every PPK, P7, P9S and Makarov was ever made, and doesn't appear to be a failure point at all. It may actually be stronger.

I also don't care for MIM, but a MIM feed ramp block doesn't seem like something that "mold marks" is going to affect.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #16

Zeec .22
Its a "gateway" gun not some prized heirloom that will go up in value. People who buy this gun it's either a one time purchase and see Walther's and think "007 gun" and buy it. Or they can't afford a PPQ so they buy this which is 90% as good as a PPQ IMHO. Or finally they buy it and buy more Walther's
Walther PPS M1 9mm
Walther P99 titanium
Walther P99c
Beretta 92s
Rock Island 1911 tactical 45
M&P 22 compact

http://www.madgenius.com
Zeec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:15 PM   #17

olstyn .22
Quote:
If cost is really such a factor, I suggest Hi Point for much less cost and possibly better design/build.
I really hope that statement was facetious, because I also would rather buy more expensive and higher quality, but as soon as you start holding up Hi-Point as an example of "better," you lose credibility, at least with me. Admittedly a sample of one, but the only Hi-Point I have personal experience with was pretty much a jam-o-matic. I sincerely doubt the Creed/PPX is not better in every way, and I say that as a P99 and P99c owner who puts several thousand rounds downrange in USPSA competition every year.
olstyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #18

CA SURVIVOR .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by muckaleewarrior71 View Post
There is a member that has run 15K or more rounds through his PPX without an issue since it came out. I've only run a couple PPXs but not for more than 1K each.
15K interesting and something I have a hard time believing.
CA SURVIVOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 02:49 PM   #19

muckaleewarrior71 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SURVIVOR View Post
I don't because we got our PPXs four years ago around the same time and he's been shooting his on a regular basis ever since. But I won't lose one ounce of sleep if anyone believes it or not.

PPQ M1 9mm!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:29 PM   #20

Handy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA SURVIVOR View Post
Why? It's a steel and polymer Walther, just like Glock, Sig, etc. Why wouldn't it run for at least 15,000 rounds?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Creed

Search tags for this page
3 piece barrel creed
are walther creed barrrels more than one peace
creed with ppx barrel
does the walther creed have a one piece barrel
problems with a walther creed 9 mm
thread cutting on 7.65 pistol barrel

walther creed 3 piece barrel

walther creed barrel design

walther creed one piece barrel

walther creed problems

walthercreed mim barrel
what is a three piece barrel
Click on a term to search for related topics.