My new CREED... - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Creed

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2018, 05:47 AM   #1

Mudbug .22
My new CREED...

I am amazed at how easy this gun breaks down...field strips. And it goes back together just as easily.

At this time, that's all the positive credit that I can give my new CREED.

First, you had better have a mag loader of some sort. The 15 round mag has no thumb tab to help load the magazine. And the spring is VERY strong. I could only load five rounds by hand, and I fought really hard to load the fifth one.

I've shot a box of 50 rounds through it. Not real happy. But I'm pretty sure that my problems is just a worm that needs to be worked out.

When I racked the slide the first time, it did well. After that, nothing was pretty. Not including the first racking, every time the slide move back to eject the spent brass, it would not fully return to the ready position. The slide stopped about an eighth of an inch from the ready position. I had to actually bump the slide forward for every shot I took. That means 50 shot....5 rounds in a magazine for 10 magazines. I bought two extra mags and used all four, so I know it's not a problem with the mag. It did it to every shot for all ten sets.

See the attachement

I called Walther/Ft. Smith. The tech told me that I might have to squeeze the grip harder. (???) Someone else on another thread said that tightning his grip solved this problem for him. I will do that in a day or to.

Also the tech sent me an email with all the recommended ammo that Walther likes to use in their different guns. The ammo that I was using that day was not on their list.

He said that if these two things do not solve the problem, then I should send my CREED back to mama.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Creed Slide 1.jpg (28.5 KB, 29 views)

Charter Arms "Gator" 38 Special
Walther CREED
S&W SW22 VICTORY
Mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 07-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #2

Mudbug .22
After a thorough cleaning, and running two of the brands of 9mm ammo recommended by the Walther tech, I headed to the range again.

Not a bit of change. Four brand new magazines. Using all four, the slide continued to fail to fully return to the firing position almost every time. It stops about an eighth of an inch almost every time. When It happens, I can take the thumb of my shooting hand and push it forward easily. Very little resistance. I don't have to tap it or slap it forward. I don't believe that it's hanging up on anything since it is so easy to push forward.

Any ideas? It's about to go back to Ft. Smith.

Walther CREED
S&W SW22 VICTORY
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #3

40ppstoter .22
Not to sound flip, but you are not limp wristing it? Also, what type and brand of ammo have you ran through it? Maybe run some "hot" rounds, like the NATO rounds or some known "hotter" loaded ammo?

It just sounds like it is losing slide velocity somehow.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:58 AM   #4

Mudbug .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40ppstoter View Post
Not to sound flip, but you are not limp wristing it? Also, what type and brand of ammo have you ran through it? Maybe run some "hot" rounds, like the NATO rounds or some known "hotter" loaded ammo?

It just sounds like it is losing slide velocity somehow.
Thanks for the Reply, 40pps... I didn't take your comment as flippant in any way. Your reply and questions were right on target, as those are the exact things that the Walther tech discussed with me.

When I spoke to Walther the tech directed me to be sure I used a very strong grip. So I was particular about that today. But I have worked on my Isosolese stance and strong two-handed grip with elbows close to being tightly locked until I got to where my target shooting is pretty accurate. However, I cannot understand how a loose grip on the pistol would affect the slide return. Perhaps you could explain that if you get a chance.

He also sent me a list of Walther's recommended ammo for all the different handguns. For the 9mm guns, the list said..in This order:
(but I am not sure that the order is that important. Looks like they are listing well known 115 grain rounds in each case)

1. RemingtonUMC 115gr.

2 Winchester Target Range (White Box) 115 gr.,

3. Federal115 Gr.

4. FIOCCHI 9AP 115 gr.

The first time I went to the range with it, I shot one box of Remington UMC.
Today I brought Winchester (White Box) and FIOCCHI 9AP.
In other words, three of the four recommended brands. I two Academy Sports and a Super Walmart, and could not locate any of the Federal

Walther CREED
S&W SW22 VICTORY
Old 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM   #5

Vandal320 .22
Let someone(Preferably an experienced shooter) else shoot it. If the problem persists it's the gun.
WALTHER PPQ M2 .45 ACP
WALTHER P99C 9MM
WALTHER PPS M1 9MM
WALTHER PPS M2 LE 9MM
WALTHER PPX 9MM

Last edited by Vandal320; 07-22-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Vandal320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #6
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
"every time the slide move back to eject the spent brass, it would not fully return to the ready position. The slide stopped about an eighth of an inch from the ready position. I had to actually bump the slide forward for every shot I took."

OK, this FTRTB is occurring while actually shooting. How bout when you simply rack the slide by hand with NO ammo. Will the slide return to battery then? How bout locking the slide back and using the slide stop to drop/release the slide (again, NO ammo)?

"I called Walther/Ft. Smith. The tech told me that I might have to squeeze the grip harder. (???) Someone else on another thread said that tightening his grip solved this problem for him. I will do that in a day or to."

The CREED manual also says to use a firm grip (page 19).

I don't have a CREED or knowledge of the inter-workings. I do know its hammer fired. Don't know if, when the slide cycles, it completely cocks the hammer. But, the recoil spring, hammer spring, extractor spring and magazine spring ALL have to play nice together to ensure proper operation of the pistol. Ammo can also play a factor...too weak or too powerful can cause problems. As previously mention, most pistols require a firm grip.

Without handling your pistol, I can't hand cycle the slide to feel for any rough spots. However youíve already indicated that the slide is hanging up (1/8" from battery), etc, etc. When you use your thumb to press the slide the rest of the way into battery, do you give it a little nudge and the slide just jumps the rest of the way into battery, or do you have to use a continuous pressure to force the slide all the way/completely forward?

On a PPQ at a point about 3/8" from battery, the barrel is starting to 'cam' up, sliding the rim of the case, under the extractor and also starts sliding the end of the case UP the breech face.....read that as a little additional friction/resistance ..... and itís doing this at a point where the slide is just about out of forward momentum. So, in this case forward momentum (the speed of the slide moving forward), and that's based on the recoil impulse generated by the particular ammo you're using, combined with the strength of the recoil spring ALL play a factor in getting the slide to make a COMPLETE return to battery.

So, WHAT's happening at the 1/8" point on a CREED? With NO ammo in the pistol and the hammer locked back and the slide fully forward, how much pressure is holding the slide in battery? In other words, how much pressure does it take to move the slide 1/16" rearward from battery? I'm just wondering if you have a weak recoil spring.....and might benefit from a replacement.

Poop like this is really hard to diagnose without having pistol in hand.
imaoldfart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:26 AM   #7

WaterDR Unproven
Take a video of you holding and firing.
WaterDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:08 AM   #8

Mudbug .22
"OK, this FTRTB is occurring while actually shooting. How bout when you simply rack the slide by hand with NO ammo. Will the slide return to battery then? How bout locking the slide back and using the slide stop to drop/release the slide (again, NO ammo?"

FTRTB? Failure To Return To Battery!! Now I know that 'Battery' means too! Kewl!

When I rack the slide the first time, in usually returns to the firing position. I think It failed to do so just once in 15 magazine cycles. And I'm not even sure about that.

Also, If I release the slide lock, it has always fully returned.

It operates correctly with and without rounds in the magazine in both of the cases you query.

The problem exists when I actually fire a shot and it recycles the next round in.

"When you use your thumb to press the slide the rest of the way into battery, do you give it a little nudge and the slide just jumps the rest of the way into battery, or do you have to use a continuous pressure to force the slide all the way/completely forward?"

No, it is not a "Tap, then the actions continues on by itself. I have to continue the pressure all the way to the end. And it's not much pressure at all. As I wrote before, I can easily push it with my right thumb (right handed) without moving any other parts of my two handed grip.

"So, WHAT's happening at the 1/8" point on a CREED? With NO ammo in the pistol ... I'm just wondering if you have a weak recoil spring"

This gun has the strongest recoil spring of any gun hat I have fired. I sometimes try to pull it back just a short distance to try to get the hammer reset without ejecting the unfired bullet. I can't do it...that is, move it just a half-inch or so. I have to get a very strong grip and fight it to get it moving. That always results in a full ejection of the round. The recoil spring is too strong for a 70 year old with acute R. Arthritis to try to surgically maneuver it.

Walther CREED
S&W SW22 VICTORY
Old 07-23-2018, 01:13 AM   #9

Mudbug .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterDR View Post
Take a video of you holding and firing.
I can do that on Thursday, when I shoot with several other old men.

Walther CREED
S&W SW22 VICTORY
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #10

socrates007 .22
Mudbug,

1. Try using 124grain 9mm ammo. Forget using any 115 grain ammo, and get some 124grain 9mm ammo to test out. Federal American Eagle would be a good choice. Also, I would try shooting one box of 124grain 9mm +P ammo also. Again, Federal or whatever American brand of ammo you can find in 124grain 9mm +P.

2. As you have already been told, make sure you grip that pistol nice and tight - very solid hold on the gun. This is just to make sure that you are not limp wristing your Creed when firing it. Limp wristing a pistol can induce failure to return to battery.

If you make sure that you have a nice solid hold when firing your creed, and also use 124 grain 9mm ammo (or better - use 124 grain of 9mm +P ammo), and you still have the same FTRTB issue - then you need to send your Creed into Walther for inspection. Try the above and let us know how it goes.
socrates007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Creed

Search tags for this page
for a walther creed 9mm what grain of powder is recmmended
gtflip the creed i am t
news
preferred 9mm round for walther creed forum

walther creed

walther creed 9mm problems
walther creed ammo problems

walther creed problems

walther creed recommended ammo
walther creed slide porting
walther creed slide stop sticks every rack
weak points on walther creed
Click on a term to search for related topics.