P38 Minus Some Markings - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 11:12 AM   #1

TNBuckeye .22
P38 Minus Some Markings

New guy with what is likely a pretty basic question here. I am looking over a Mauser p38 from 1943. Looks pretty good based on examples I have seen here and p38guns.com.

However it is missing the markings on the right side of the slide. There is nothing there. And from the photos I have seen I am not detecting obvious/aggressive scrub marks or damage.

My assumption is that the markings on the right side WERE in fact scrubbed at some point. My questions are, is this common with p38s, and does it impact value much? I am not asking for a price to offer on it as I think I have a general range in mind based on what I have seen for nice all matching examples on GB and other places, just curious if the marks being missing impacts that much.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
TNBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #2

yagyujubei .22
Well, if stamps are missing, then the slide (at least) sounds refinished. Yes, that will kill the "collectable value". I bought a byf43 a few years ago in excellent condition, but was a Russian capture, and the slide was dipped, for $450. So, just the dip on the slide, killed the value on an otherwise pretty desirable pistol. A bargain, as far as I'm concerned, because I have an almost new shooter for cheap. If you can post a couple good pics, that would help.
yagyujubei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:30 PM   #3

TNBuckeye .22
That helps, thanks! I will try to get some photos up this evening. The interesting thing is that the markings on the left side of the slide seem to all be there and look like the examples I have seen. Only the right side of the slide is missing them. I might still pursue it as I plan to shoot it anyway if the buyer and I can agree on price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-21-2017, 09:58 PM   #4

TNBuckeye .22
Here are a couple photos, one of the left, one of the right...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics