A warning to those who want to shoot WWII-vintage P.38s - Page 11 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree100Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #101

Location: North Carolina, where well-armed Liberals and Conservatives live in relative harmony
richardt .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjy58 View Post
A big problem with p 38's is the top cover. Beware if you use hot 9mm loads you risk having the top cover and all the small parts inside blowing off. Most parts are easy to find but the firing pin lock can be difficult to find for WW2 guns. I have replaced a few of them and all are the result of using hot or +p loads.
I rarely shoot my matched ac45 P38 (I've only shot maybe 50 rounds since I purchased the gun a year ago). But sometimes Helen just looks so cute I can't resist. Last time, the top strap popped off (and the rear sight smacked me in the forehead). What a naughty girl, that Helen!

Anyway, I did find the strap, sight, and firing pin/spring in the leaves by my feet (mirable dictu!). As someone (Mike?) noted, put back together properly, the strap should stay in place. But I'm the one who installed the strap when I first purchased it, as I recall it somehow popped out when first cleaning/inspecting.

My question is, is this just a reflection of my choice of ammo? (I used 124gr FMJ which seems unremarkable), or does the strap suffer from wear (looks unlikely, simple design)? I can't imagine I put it together incorrectly, but anything is possible. Any suggestions or tips on attachment?

Once re-assembled she will go back in her cradle and I'll use the P5 for my fun. But I know I'll be tempted to take her out every so often. Just like I occasionally drive my 1972 Norton Commando or my 1973 Triumph Tiger: rarely. I suppose that means I'm slightly more shooter than collector, although from this thread it's clearly a continuum, everyone to their tastes and risks. As anyone who drives vintage will tell you, you take your chances.
richardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #102

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardt View Post
I
My question is, is this just a reflection of my choice of ammo? (I used 124gr FMJ which seems unremarkable)
WWB 115 for my all matching ac42!
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #103

matthanne .22
I second WWB 115. Sparingly, too, that's why I have a more modern shooter for plinking.
matthanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 08:28 PM   #104
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
It is possible, I suppose, that the extra slide velocity generated by the use of +P ammunition might cause the top cover to fly off, but I don't believe it. I still maintain it's either incorrect assembly or a too-loose fit between the cover and the slide.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #105

Location: North Carolina, where well-armed Liberals and Conservatives live in relative harmony
richardt .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post
It is possible, I suppose, that the extra slide velocity generated by the use of +P ammunition might cause the top cover to fly off, but I don't believe it. I still maintain it's either incorrect assembly or a too-loose fit between the cover and the slide.

M
I'm voting with MGMike on incorrect assembly (even though it was me the last time). I watched a few videos where gents were popping in that cover with a firm press of the thumb. Well, I've got pretty strong thumbs, and there was no way the cover would ever "snap" into place. I crushed it down and back with my meaty paws and no love. I suspect that last time I only got it "90%" in place. So this time I took out a small tap hammer, and gave it a gentle whack, and didn't it settle down nice and tight. Pretty sure it won't go flying out again, but I'll stick with gentle loads too, just for those rare times I take it out of its case.

Thanks gents.
richardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 08:30 PM   #106

JayBird .22
Decision Made

The gunsmith who sold me my P38 (manufactured by Mauser circa April 1943) has repeatedly assured me that, so long as I do not shoot +P or +P+ ammo (or some other hot load), my handgun will outlive me with proper cleaning regiment. I have studied the warnings and opinions expressed within this thread, and have concluded that my P38 is a firearm -- not historic relic -- which, if capable of being fired, should be enjoyed within my lifetime. I also note that Mauser did not begin manufacturing the P38 until late 1942; and I suspect that whatever "shortcuts" German armament made during the war did not occur so early when Mauser began production. I am 65 years old, and while I would very much like my son to inherit this historic firearm, I am not going to vault this firearm to preserve for my future generations who will most probably be saddled with the same paradox as to whether it should be preserved or used. My guess is that my descendants will most probably use, at the range, for self-defense, or at IDPA/USPSA meets some more modern handgun (making even my Walther PPQ obsolete.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #107

JayBird .22
Will Report Event Outcome

I have previously opined that my P-38 should be used for shooting, not acquiring dust as an historic artifact, and I intend to demonstrate this conclusion later this month at my local I.D.P.A. event in south Jersey. I intend to use this firearm shooting American Eagle 124 grain 9mm ammunition which ballistic load was that intended to be shot by the German Army. I will report as to the experience although I suspect that my P-38, containing only eight -- not ten -- rounds with magazine release at the heel of the handle, will probably not fare as well as the firearms otherwise permitted to be used by the I.D.P.A. as "Stock Service Pistol." I had been lobbying for the I.D.P.A. to create a new division -- which I had suggested be labeled as "Nostalgic Specialty Division" ("N.S.D.") to umbrella historic single stack magazine guns not otherwise limited to 45 caliber -- but that has been ignored. Nevertheless, if I could not carry my Walther PPQ-M2 5"barrel, then I certainly would carry my Walther P-38 which is, quite frankly, a great shooting gun. Will keep all advised as to developments.
Redcat94 likes this.
JayBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #108

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBird View Post
will probably not fare as well as the firearms otherwise permitted to be used by the I.D.P.A. as "Stock Service Pistol."
Maybe not but you'll have the most fun. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #109
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Years ago I used to regularly shoot skeet with a Winchester M12 riot gun. I did not hit as many birds as the other fellows, but that gun --which was my "house" gun and on which I would stake my life in an emergency-- became VERY familiar to me.

Otherwise, a short-barreled shotgun, having no recreational or hunting use, tends to be fired rather seldom, with a resulting lack of close affinity.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/classics/35169-warning-those-who-want-shoot-wwii-vintage-p-38s.html
news
p38 fighter guns-ammo load

walther p38 warnings

what american ammo fits into a walther p38

what modern ammo is ok to shoot in a waltherp38

Click on a term to search for related topics.