Walther Forums banner

'What Should I pay?' and 'How Much is it Worth?" Please start here ...

17K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Bobi 
#1 ·
'What should I pay for it?' and 'How much is this worth' questions? Start here
We get a lot of requests for "What should I pay for this?" or "How much is this gun really worth" or "I saw this offered online the other day and wondered if it was a good price?" In truth, there's no Blue Book of Gun Values or other ready-reference resource that's available to us online that we know about. Consequently, the recommendation often becomes: Check the completed auctions to get an idea of what people actually were willing to pay for a particular firearm; you can make a determination in your own head as to what the gun might be worth from that.

So ... how do you get the information on completed auctions? First, sign on to the GunBroker and Auction Arms online sites (checking both is better than using one or the other exclusively). Next, narrow your search to the specific gun you are interested in: an Interarms-made PPK/S, for example, or a Walther P5. Then go to the drop-down menu and select Completed Auctions. This will show you every completed deal from the past few months and will indicate whether there were any bids entered into the system (just keep in mind that a bid does not equal an actual sale). Click away until you determine whether the gun in question sold and, if it did, the actual dollar amount of the winning bid.

If new guns are your thing, here are some other sources that you might want to use to check prices:

http://www.sportingarms.com/

Jet Guns, Smokin Deals

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

Happy hunting

See less See more
#9 ·
The answer to your question depends entirely on the buyer and what he/she is looking for, although it's safe to say that most collectors want a pistol that is free of import marks of any size and shape. How much of a difference in price is impossible to say; the buyer and seller ultimately decide.

And it's also worth noting that if you are looking to fill a hole in a collection, and a representative sample that is import-marked comes along at a decent price, some buyers who have struck out in searching for a pristine example may be inclined to jump ... sometimes at a surprising price.

#10 · (Edited)
It depends in large measure on where the importer's stamp is, and whether it adversely affects the appearance of the gun. Some of the new "billboards" peckered onto guns with dot-matrix machines are downright ugly defacements. But many of the others are more gracefully applied, and help to prove the gun's provenance --where it came from.

An importer's mark is part of a gun's history; it also gives some measure of protection against fraud --many "G.I. bringbacks from WWII" are not what they seem.

M

#16 ·
Without pics, nobody can say. Serial numbers were re-used often to conceal production numbers, and my "good condition" might be somebody else's "holy crap, was that a pistol at one time?"

Also, it's OK to start your own thread rather than just tagging onto another one.

#18 ·
I'm interested in a ball park figure to tell my step son. He inherited it and has no idea what he has. From just what I've read about it, it appears to be a Spreewerk C block manufactured in 1943. I took the slide apart and got all the gunk out of the firing pin and LLI. I pulled the hammer and did the same but let the springs alone out of fear of loosing one of them. All the numbers match and everything seems to function as intended. I have no intention of firing it. What should I tell him to insure it for?

#20 · (Edited)
Just wanted to relay what an honest transaction I had with Legacy collectables, my P98 sold for more than the estimate, and they are mailing me a check to make up some difference. Strait shooters :)
www.legacy-collectibles.com/
And they have this 5 year old Umarex/Walther PPK/S .22 for $650. You can buy a brand new one for about $350. I thought these weren‘t collectible? 😳

#21 ·
Hi all.
I joined this forum back in '21 when I was researching PPKs- Since then I've acquired a couple of P38s and wondered as to their value. If anyone has any help, that would be great.

The first is a "a" letter block AC45 model. It appears all matching and is in pretty good condition. It came with 2 mags and a holster.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

Eyewear Material property Bag Rectangle Font

Rectangle Auto part Font Fashion accessory Electric blue

Auto part Still life photography Monochrome Nickel Monochrome photography

Rectangle Cylinder Composite material Engineering Natural material

Trigger Air gun Composite material Rectangle Auto part

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Wood

Rectangle Auto part Composite material Engineering Electric blue

Grey Hood Rectangle Bumper Grille

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Shotgun

#23 ·
Nice collection asiparks. I would estimate your ac45 to retail for $1,200-1,500 and $125-200 for each magazine. I don't follow holster prices closely but $250-500 sounds reasonable.

Your glossy P38 is uncommon but don't seem to command a premium over the matte ones. It looks like it has some holster wear so probably $700-995 as a nice shooter. More on the high end of that if you have the original box and paperwork.

Have you shot them?

#24 ·
Thank you for your reply, I've not shot the wartime one yet, but I've put 30 or so rounds of 124g through the Interarms into a fist sized group at 7 yards. I didn't particularly enjoy either the trigger or sights, but it was functional. No box or papers, sadly. On the plus side, the finish is much better than to appears in the photo, I lightening it up a fair bit so the details were visible.

#25 ·
Hello, I inherited a Walther MOD HP 9mm pistol from my grandfather who was a Yugoslav Partisan. He obtained this pistol as a trophy. The pistol has the Walther banner on the left side and the text: Waffenfabrik Walther Zella Mehlis (Thur), Walthers Patent 9 m/m, Mod HP. On the right side it has the serial no.4268 above the trigger and an Eagle sign (with possible N below). The eagle is also on the right side of the slide. The same serial is also on the front, below the barrel. Inside on the right side of the barrel i.e. on the chamber there is an Eagle, a symbol like a Diamond (with a square inside) or a cross and the number 79. The grips are brownish color, ribbed with parallel lines, not checkered, on the inside they have 3 circles, the middle one is empty the lower one has 1528/9. I cannot take it out to be appraised bc i don't have my gun permit yet. I want to know the exact model if possible and the date of manufacture, as well as an approx.value. The gun has not been fired for 20 years. Thank you very much. Bobi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.