Slow PPK Gunsmith - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2020, 08:34 PM   #1

bobalouie .22
Slow PPK Gunsmith

I need a reality check. I sent my PPK/S to a gunsmith in Alabama noted for being an expert with this model, and requested a trigger job and he recommended a "reliability" package (assuming this is polishing the feed ramp, etc.). He's had the pistol for 4 months. Just before the holidays, when I reached out to check on the work, he said he would "get right on it". How much is too long for such work, by a lone gunsmith? What should I do? Ask him to return the gun, ask for a discount, etc.? I feel if I keep pestering him the work quality will go down and the price will go up!! LOL Any advice is welcome..this is the first time I've ever sent a gun out of state for work. Is it supposed to take this long? Thanks!
bobalouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #2

mpgus .22
I feel that's unacceptable but, why rush him now. If it's a one man operation and he's good I guess one could wait a little longer
Jimbo80 likes this.
mpgus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 09:58 PM   #3

Jimbo80 .22
It really depends on the Gunsmith and the work. There are guys out there with waitlists years long. Some of them are even worth it. I recently picked up a 50's DS that was sitting in my local guys shop for well over a year while he was unsuccessfully trying to find a part.

Last edited by Jimbo80; 02-01-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Jimbo80 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-01-2020, 11:11 PM   #4

gts350 .22
Did you and he discuss a time frame when you sent him the weapon?

Sent from my SM-T290 using Tapatalk
Redcat94 and Larry D. like this.
gts350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:28 AM   #5

bobalouie .22
Slow PPK Gunsmith

Lesson learned, for sure...should have discussed time frame; but, was more concerned with the cost. Good point about why rush him now! LOL No parts needed and this guy worked for years at Interarms in VA when this PPK/S came down the assembly line, so I cannot think of a better guy to work on it! So, I'll take comfort that it's at least in good hands. But, I have heard those horror stories of repairs that take over a year. Should repairs have birthdays? I have an XD to keep me company; but, hard to beat that PPK/S for a comfortable, slim carry pistol. But the DA pull on this one was 24 lbs!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
One presumes you're referring to Mike McClellan in Alabama. He is indeed a solo practitioner, and there is no better Walther mechanic. So your choice is between fast and good.

The time to ask "how long" is before you ship it.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:52 AM   #7

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalouie View Post
Lesson learned, for sure...should have discussed time frame; but, was more concerned with the cost. Good point about why rush him now! LOL No parts needed and this guy worked for years at Interarms in VA when this PPK/S came down the assembly line, so I cannot think of a better guy to work on it! So, I'll take comfort that it's at least in good hands. But, I have heard those horror stories of repairs that take over a year. Should repairs have birthdays? I have an XD to keep me company; but, hard to beat that PPK/S for a comfortable, slim carry pistol. But the DA pull on this one was 24 lbs!
24 lbs? What vintage of PPK/S is it? Just curious.
Jimmo952 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #8
Supporting Member

olsoul .22
If it is indeed Mike you are in excellent hands. When you weapon gets back you will be entirely satisfied.
olsoul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 01:01 AM   #9

bobalouie .22
Slow PPK Gunsmith

I remember once I asked my boss if he wanted the job "good" or "fast" and he said "good and fast", LOL. But, when it comes to a carry pistol, I'll take the "good"! Thanks for all the great responses, much appreciated. Looks like I picked the right guy for the job.
I honestly cannot remember when I purchased this stainless .380 PPK/S; but, it was NIB from Interarms, probably around 1990. I had an FFL back then, before the Brady Bill got me too aggravated to fool with it any longer, and I picked it up for around $300 from a distributor in the "Shotgun News" (remember those?). I shot a couple of magazines (SA from a sandbag at 25 feet it grouped into one ragged hole...a sweet shooter!) and put it back in the box due to the horrendous DA trigger pull. Rediscovered it almost 30 years later when digging through an old storage trunk and decided to have that action looked at. Just an awful DA pull I measured at 24lbs; but, I could never part with it.
P.S. Any ideas on sights for these 60 year old eyes on that PPK/S that would still work in existing holsters? Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:47 AM   #10

Nicknack .22
There’s another option I was looking a few years back and came across two options
Alabama and Delaware
The one I chose was gunshooter enterprises in Delaware I believe they were quick to turn it around and I’m happy I chose them since I’m on the east coast shipping wasn’t a problem and I’m ok with the work and cost
Nicknack is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics