1968 P38 Constant Fail To Extract After Thorough Cleaning - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 12:40 PM   #1

easycity .22
1968 P38 Constant Fail To Extract After Thorough Cleaning

I recently acquired a P38 manufactured in 1968. From the very beginning, it had frequent fail to extract problems. After I read through posts in this forum, I disassembled the P38 slide completely, and cleaned everything thoroughly, especially the extractor. However, the P38 still have the same fail to extract problems, at the same frequency of once every magazine.
Here are the pictures and detailed view of the extractor. Has the extractor been worn out?

If the p38's extractor has been worn out, I found Numrich has a factory new original extractor. Anyone has good experience with this product?

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/200190

Wolff Spring sells spring kit for P38. Anyone has tried this product before?

https://www.gunsprings.com/WALTHER/P...1/mID70/dID306
easycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 01-29-2020, 06:55 PM   #2

matthanne .22
Wolff is the recommended source for the springs. I assume with your last pic that you mean the case remains in the chamber. Have you examined a fired casing rim to see if it is scratching teh rim? The used extractor tooth looks a little flatter, it could be that both a new extractor and spring may fix it, as well as cleaning the slot out well.
matthanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 06:32 AM   #3

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycity View Post
From the very beginning, it had frequent fail to extract problems.
Welcome to the forum.

What ammo are you using ? Have you tried different brands and bullet weights?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #4

easycity .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
Welcome to the forum.

What ammo are you using ? Have you tried different brands and bullet weights?
I tried CCI Blazer Brass 115 grain and Federal 115 grain. The frequency of jamming stayed the same.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:05 AM   #5

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
A good way to check the extractor is to take the slide off and with the barrel removed, insert a shell into the recessed part of the slide. If the tip of the extractor does not touch the cartridge and holds it firmly in place, or touches it in the wrong spot, the bevels of the extractor can be adjusted for proper outlet or the tip reshaped.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by easycity View Post
... I disassembled the P38 slide completely, and cleaned everything thoroughly, especially the extractor...
Before you rush off to buy parts:

May we assume from this that in the course of this cleaning you physically removed from the slide the extractor, extractor stay and extractor spring, and cleaned all three, then cleaned out the passage, then replaced them in the slide?

May we also assume that your photo No. 8 shows the location of the fired case when the stoppage occurs (i.e., almost completely in the chamber)?

When this happens, where do you find the next round in the magazine?

Have you looked in the chamber end of the barrel in strong light, especially near its forward end, where the chamber meets the rifling, to confirm that it is bright and shiny? Try the "Plonk Test": with the barrel removed and held vertically, will a cartridge drop in freely and when the barrel is inverted, fall out by gravity?

Your photos of the extractor hook are too blurred and taken from the wrong angle to see what's important. When at rest is the extractor contacting the bottom of its slot in the breech face (i.e., pivoted as far inward as it will go), and when pressed outward with your finger, does it move freely in its slot, with good spring tension?

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:02 PM   #7

easycity .22
Extractor Seems To Hold Case Firmly In Place. Ammo Can Fall In And Drop Off Freely

Thank for advice from so many experts.

First, the throat of the barrel is not shiny, but not sticky either.
I can insert a round easily into the barrel, press it in, invert the barrel, and the round fall out freely.
The throat area of the barrel looks like this:

I will use copper wire brush to clean this throat area and make it shiny. I will report back after next week's shooting.

Second, the extractor spring. I use a flat head screw driver to push the extractor outward. I feel that the extractor move out with quite strong resistance. Probably the extractor spring is not the problem.

Third, the extractor itself.
I use a screw driver to push an empty case into the bolt face. The chamber loaded indicator applied a strong force on the bottom of the case. After I pushed the case into the bold face, the extractor holds the case firmly in the recessed area, despite the strong push-out force from the chamber loaded indicator.
I even need to use a little force to push the case out of the recess.

One thing I noticed is that the P38 is very dry. In hind-sight, I must have not applied any lubricant after I cleaned the power residue from this pistol.
Now I want to explain the detail of my shooting experience.
I purchase this pistol from GunBroker. Upon receiving it, I took the barrel and slide out, cleaned the barrel with bore snake, and the slide with rubbing alcohol. I did not disassembly the slide, so I did not clean the extractor and bolt face.
The first time I shoot this pistol, the first two magazines went through without any problem. Then I got fail to extract for every magazine, usually once at the 5th round.
I came home, completely disassembly the slide, and found there is so much power residue caked under extractor hook and many other places. I used rubbing alcohol and copper wire brush to clean every pieces and reassemble the pistol.
I wanted to minimize the powder residue deposited inside the pistol. So I wiped it with rubbing alcohol and did not apply lubricant.
The second time I went to the range, this P38 had fail to extract and fail to eject once every magazine.
I will apply lubricant to the rail before my next range trip.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:56 AM   #8

Larry D. .22
Buy some solvent, give it a thorough scrubbing (again) paying extra attention to the extractor, chamber, bolt face, etc.
Then lube it up and let us know what happens.
Larry D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:27 PM   #9

easycity .22
I noticed that the loaded chamber indication put a very strong force on the empty case, trying to push it away from the extractor.
I do not have an obvious use for the loaded chamber indicator. Can I take it out, along with the spring connecting it to the firing pin?
Old 02-24-2020, 07:44 AM   #10

ssivbreger .22
If in the photo a cartridge case is shot from THIS pistol, then it looks like a problem with the main gap.
In addition, the inner surface of the chamber will clearly not mind polishing...

Assemble the barrel with the slider, and try moving the barrel inside the slider back and forth.
If You succeeded by a noticeable amount, then most likely it is wear of the locking unit. Either on the locking block, or on the barrel, or on the slider.
Or (as usually happens) everywhere a little.

PS And YES.
A normal extractor, with a cartridge installed in the slider, should abut against the cylindrical part of the groove in the case. If the cartridge does not fall out of the slider under its own weight, then the extractor is in order.

Last edited by ssivbreger; 02-24-2020 at 07:58 AM. Reason: add
ssivbreger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Tags
extracotr, fail to extract, p38

Search tags for this page

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/classics/122270-1968-p38-constant-fail-extract-after-thorough-cleaning.html

Click on a term to search for related topics.