Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DeutschlandUberAlles
  • 1 Post By Kar98
  • 1 Post By MGMike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2019, 08:59 PM   #1

Metal Wonder Nine Guy .22
How long do Walther P38 P1 locking blocks last?

Having been on the Beretta forum a bit, I've found out the locking blocks on the Beretta 92 last for quite a while, depending on what generation locking block your 92 M9 pistol has. The early locking blocks last to around ~15k rounds, while the 3rd generation locking block on the 92 series can last up to 25-30k rounds.

By contrast, how do the Walther P38/P1 locking blocks compare? Is there an interval that Walther suggests replacing the block at? So far, I haven't found any info on that number.
Metal Wonder Nine Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 10-09-2019, 09:15 PM   #2
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
What, me worry?

I have yet to shoot any single Walther 9mm pistol 15,000 rounds, much less 25-30K.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #3

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
IIRC, the P5 (the final version of the Walther locking block design) had to surpass 20k rounds to be accepted in the German Service Pistol Trials back in the '70s.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 10-09-2019 at 09:47 PM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote

Old Today, 05:11 AM   #4

oplofilo .22
German steel was so much better than Italian one....

I heard through the grapevine that the first Beretta 92/98 locking blocks were made of steel of superior quality but there is no certification about it... probably just a rumour

TPH .22LR
TPH .25ACP
PP .22LR
PP .32ACP
PP .380ACP
PP Super 9x18mm Police
byf42
P1 9x21mm IMI
P38 5,6mm
P38 7,65mm Parabellum
P38 9x21mm IMI
P38-K 7,65mm Parabellum
P5 7,65mm Parabellum
P5 9x21mm IMI
P5 Compact 9x21mm IMI
P88 9x21mm IMI
P88 Compact 9x21mm IMI
P38/HP 7,65mm Parabellum 60 Jahre Walther Heerespistole
P38 7,65mm Parabellum 1886-1986 100 Jahre Walther
oplofilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:02 AM   #5

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
The difference goes beyond the steel quality.

The P38/P5 design has more AND larger contact/wear surfaces when compared to the Beretta 92 design.

The P38 has a middle of barrel/front of slide and frame locking lug, the P5 has a front of barrel/front of slide and frame locking lug. The 92 has no locking lug in the mid or forward position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03479 (2).jpg (103.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03480 (2).jpg (121.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03481 (2).jpg (108.6 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; Today at 09:08 AM.
DeutschlandUberAlles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:11 AM   #6

Kar98 .22
The block in mine has been holding up for 77 years now, if that's any indicator? :P
imaoldfart likes this.
Kar98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:47 AM   #7

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
My two 9mm P5 shooters have had over 1500 rds put thru them this year, in the hands of almost a dozen shooters. All of it has been 124gr/1200fps (~400 ft/lbs energy), or hotter.

The Lang frame (middle, target grips) has the 6# recoil springs, so it's shot sparingly (don't want to crack the frame on a number matching Lang).
The carry gun frame (top, G4U grips) has 8# recoil springs, so it serves double duty, gets shot as it sits in the pic, AND has the Lang barrel/slide swapped on for even more shooting. The Deutschebank P5 (bottom, black grips) has the 6# recoil springs, and only comes to the range when 7.65Para (30 Luger) is getting shot.

The carry gun was slightly used when purchased (my 1st shooter), and it has over 1400 rds this year. With WC Universal Oil, I've not seen much additional wear at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03551 (2).jpg (186.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03493 (2).jpg (106.2 KB, 2 views)
Old Today, 11:53 AM   #8
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Wonder Nine Guy View Post

Is there an interval that Walther suggests replacing the block at? So far, I haven't found any info on that number.
The reason you haven't seen any spec from Walther is because there isn't any.

Locking blocks were selectively fitted from various sizes at the Walther factory (or in a Bundeswehr arsenal) to achieve correct block-to-barrel fit, correct block-to-slide fit, and correct headspace, by people who presumably knew what they were doing. I would be awfully reluctant to arbitrarily replace the locking block with another that I got in the mail and hope that I get it right. It might do more harm than good and introduce a problem I didn't have before.

Fortunately a locking block (or a slide for that matter) that is going to fail usually cracks first. If you pay attention when cleaning the gun (a pastime many here seem obsessed with), you'll see it long before it breaks.

Until then, whether the block is forged or cast, I suggest leaving it alone. The locking block is intended to last the service life of the P.38, not a part designed to be periodically replaced. When and if the gun becomes unserviceable, more than likely it will be because something else happened first.

M
MMA10mm likes this.

Last edited by MGMike; Today at 12:31 PM.
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics