Old 09-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

6.5 .22
Grease slide?

Do you guys grease the slides?
6.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 09-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #2

Kar98 .22
Not the slides, those get a thin coat of oil. But the rails or anywhere metal moves against metal, those I grease.
jkv45 and Prince Humperdink like this.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM   #3

Prince Humperdink .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
Not the slides, those get a thin coat of oil. But the rails or anywhere metal moves against metal, those I grease.
This is what I do as well.
Prince Humperdink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2019, 10:59 AM   #4

DE Pistole .22
I used to grease stainless steel rails, but grease does attract "dirt." For a while, I've just been using tiny drops of oil on the rails of my two PPK pistols (one stainless and one carbon.)

Last edited by DE Pistole; 09-10-2019 at 01:42 PM.
DE Pistole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #5

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DE Pistole View Post
I used to grease stainless steel rails, but grease does attract "dirt."

I'm thinking that's kinda the point. Otherwise that dirt that goes in there anyway will be in contact with the metal directly.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM   #6

DE Pistole .22
I just very sparingly use oil now.
1942bull likes this.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #7

1942bull .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar98 View Post
I'm thinking that's kinda the point. Otherwise that dirt that goes in there anyway will be in contact with the metal directly.
Grease is a dirt magnet. Dirt gets into guns. what you do not ant is a substance in the gun that will capture the dirt. If the first is abrasive it will negate the friction reducing properties of the lubricant. A light coating of oil will allow dirt to free float and work its way off the rails. It will also be easily removed during cleaning. Consider the following.

During a decade in the Corps I was assigned M1, M14, M16, and M1911 weapons.
We were not supplied with grease. We receives a light oil to lubricate parts requiring lubrication. Routine maintenance was to clean the weapon as soon as realistically possible after use in the field, range, battle, and at least once a week if not in use. I never had a problem with dirt fowling a weapon that was properly maintained.

As a civilian I have owned Colt, Beretta, Ruger, S&W, Remington, M&P, and now Walther pistols. All of those companies recommend spraying application of a light coating of oil for maintenance. They do not suggest substitutes like grease ot synthetic motor oil. Your gun is not your vehicle. You gun is designed to reduce friction of moving parts, and according a light coat of oil is best. -- End of 2 Cents worth of opinion.
Kar98 likes this.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:08 AM   #8

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 View Post
Do you guys grease the slides?
I've used grease on several of my pistols including the P1 and P5. It seems to make the slide run smoother than with oil and lasts longer. These are range guns for me so they don't get exposed to much dirt or dust. The only grease I use is Lubriplate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
During a decade in the Corps I was assigned M1, M14, M16, and M1911 weapons.
We were not supplied with grease.
I wonder when that procedure changed ? The most recent manual that I have for the M1 rifle is from May 1965 and it calls out for several areas to be lubricated with grease from the grease container kept in the stock compartment. Even the manual that came with my CMP M1 says to use grease. Both manuals do recommend removing both oil and grease in extreme cold or sandy environments.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #9

1942bull .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcat94 View Post
I've used grease on several of my pistols including the P1 and P5. It seems to make the slide run smoother than with oil and lasts longer. These are range guns for me so they don't get exposed to much dirt or dust. The only grease I use is Lubriplate.

I wonder when that procedure changed ? The most recent manual that I have for the M1 rifle is from May 1965 and it calls out for several areas to be lubricated with grease from the grease container kept in the stock compartment. Even the manual that came with my CMP M1 says to use grease. Both manuals do recommend removing both oil and grease in extreme cold or sandy environments.

It had to change after 1962 when I was issued an M14 with no grease container. I am a bit miffed about a 1965 M1 manual since the M1 was out of service by then. Obviously things must hav e changed. I am going to look up the current info on the M4/M16 family. I will post here if I find useful info.

Memberships:
Gun Owners of America
Second Amendment Foundation
Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Last edited by 1942bull; 09-11-2019 at 08:21 AM.
1942bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #10

DE Pistole .22
I have a Sig P230 that still has some grease on its (aluminum) rails. (However, for my steel PPK pistols it's oil.)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics