WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MGMike

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2019, 01:15 PM   #1

tbrewer70@yahoo.com .22
1943 Century Arms P38

I have a 1943 Walther P38 that was imported by Century Arms. I believe based on the marks, this gun was sold to Austria after the war. It looks to me that the barrel assembly has been replaced with a newer version. The new barrel has the same serial number stamped on the end of the barrel as the gun itself. Would this have been done by Walther at the time the gun was sold to Austria? Would the Walther factory stamp the serial number on the barrel assembly or would CAI have done this? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I am interested in an approximate value of the gun based on all this. Thanks, Tim

markings on the left side behind the P38 stamp is ac/43 and there is a "c" stamped behind the serial number on the left side frame
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p38-1.jpg (46.6 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg p38-2.jpg (46.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg p38-3.jpg (48.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg p38-7.jpg (45.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg p38-6.jpg (45.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-21-2019 at 01:20 PM. Reason: additional information
tbrewer70@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #2

matthanne .22
Yes, it is a newer and commercial barrel. It may have been Austrians but I seriously doubt it, I believe CAI would only be concerned that there is a serial number on the frame. No way, to my knowledge, of ever telling for certain.
matthanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #3

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
I somewhat doubt that the Austrian military would have ordered a new Walther, Ulm manufactured and Ulm proofed barrel from the factory. HK translates to 1979. If memory serves me correctly, those Austrian surplus P.38s were sold around that time. If it was a civilian repair in Germany, then the pistol should have also the same proof marks on frame and slide.

The C in the serial number is a part of the unique serial number together with the year of manufacture. Numbers only went to 9999 and then started over again but with a higher suffix and started over at 0001A again next year.

Last edited by Andyd_is_PzGren; Yesterday at 06:34 AM.
Andyd_is_PzGren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 08:51 AM   #4
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
If it's a Century gun, why does it say "IAC, Alex. VA" on the frame?

It's a mongrel. An ex-Austrian Bundesheer military pistol supplied by the French, who found it unfinished at Oberndorf at the end of WWII. At some point later it was rebarreled in Germany with a commercial barrel from Walther and proofed at Ulm.

M
MGMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM   #5

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post

It's a mongrel. An ex-Austrian Bundesheer military pistol supplied by the French, who found it unfinished at Oberndorf at the end of WWII. At some point later it was rebarreled in Germany with a commercial barrel from Walther and proofed at Ulm.

M

Also being an "end of war" unit, expect to see loose tolerances, and the possibility of un-heat treated parts.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #6

tbrewer70@yahoo.com .22
Good eye. I just assumed it was Century that imported the gun. Thanks for the information.
tbrewer70@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:06 AM   #7

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post

M
If it was a Reparaturbeschuss or regular proofing for the German market, then there should be proof marks on the frame and slide, as mandated by proofing laws. It could also be, that this is one of the many barrels that were surplussed from German military and police armouries. It would explain why only the barrel has a proof mark, or at least visible proof sign on the photos.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics