Walther Forums banner

Unusual .22lr P38 spotted.

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  MG34_Dan 
#1 ·
I just saw a very unusual .22lr P38. It had a four digit serial number which appeared on the slide only. There was no s/n anywhere on the frame. It had an IC (82) or ID (83) date stamp along with an Ulm antler proof stamp. I'll try to get some photos the next time I see it. I did not see any importer markings anywhere. I think it was a GI bring back pistol, but that's just my guess.

Does this sound correct with the s/n only on the slide? I've never seen this before.

#3 ·
Yes, I saw it before. This P38 has the s/n is on the frame while the one I saw had it on the slide only. It was on the right rear side of the slide. Other than the Eagle over N, IC/ID, and Ulm proof, the aluminum frame had no other markings. Oh, the pistol had a four digit s/n starting with '4'.

#8 ·
I was finally able to get some pictures. But the owner doesn't want the serial number shown, so that was sanitized. Everything looks kosher on this pistol. I even took some shots of the bare frame looking for funky stuff. It all appears to be factory, but I'm not an expert by any measure.

Here goes:

#12 · (Edited)
As I had pointed out already on RFC, this gun is illegal in its current state and ownership subject to confiscation and penalties. Any gun manufactured after 1968 needs a serial number on the frame or receiver, whichever is the actual firearm by ATF regulations.

It is the importer's responsibility to mark the frame with a number as required by ATF and ensure that the gun fills the sporting requirements, including having a manually operated positive safety. Even an individual that is importing the firearm legally, whether a returning resident or a serviceman, has to comply with the serial number markings but is exempt from importer markings, which only applies to FFL08s but not to FFL01s who do the occasional import.

The safety and a few other features can be built back by an owner, the serialization is a must-have on guns made or imported after 1968.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center...ion-guidebook-policies-procedurespdf/download

#13 ·
Any gun manufactured after 1968 needs a serial number on the frame or receiver, whichever is the actual firearm by ATF regulations...the serialization is a must-have on guns made or imported after 1968.
Yes, in the US. But isn't it also a requirement in Germany ? How did the frame get proofed without a serial number ? Or is proofing performed before the serial number is applied ?

Here's my 1968 .22LR P38. I'm pretty sure that it left the factory as a complete pistol and not just a conversion kit :

Attachments

#15 ·
I asked the owner about the history of this pistol. He said it originally belonged to a relative who was a retired German police officer. The officer originally moved to Canada upon retirement and then moved to the US a few years later. Sadly, he passed away some time ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.