Walther Forums banner

P.38 at Cabelas, why so special?

4K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  An Angry Hippo 
#1 ·
#7 · (Edited)
Cause I wanted it, that's why it went overboard on pricing. Mag matched, holster is not too bad actually. But still, way expensive.

They had a P08 a few weeks back that was a WW1 piece. It as missing a hold-open latch and the small locking bolt spring that keeps tension on the barrel locking bolt catch. Surface issues (active rust on the base!) and it was shaking out the lever as I held it, and yet someone put over 800 on it.

#9 ·
Yes, I noticed that. The slide finish shows the war was going very well for Germany at production time.

Look at the link showing the '43 P38, nasty metal work.

Some of the late production Radons look like they were produced by Fred Flintstone.

Reactions: Kar98
#11 ·
A 45ACP Luger!!!

I want it SO bad!!!

I'll settle for an artillery or Swiss Trial 9mm Luger, I actually got blocked out of a Swiss Trial Luger on Hermann Historica, sooooooo close.

I kind of like the "round count" window Lugers too.

#13 ·
#14 ·
The market is the market. Buyers and sellers align on price. I’ve seen pistols at prices I would pay and pistols I wouldn’t. So, I don’t trouble myself with a price tag someone else has. If there is a buyer willing to pay that, good. If not it will remain in inventory.

Blued polish P38s are nice. The further you get on in the war, the lower the quality and finish got. I have a 0 series, 3rd version pistol that is super nice. The AC series were right after and they are nice Walther produced pistols.

It all depends. I paid 1000 for a GI 1911 last month from CMP that was a rebuild mixmaster. Worth every penny to me. Value of a collectible is a funny thing; if somebody wants it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Although priced a bit on the high side, it is an AC40, high polished blued P.38. All small parts are stamped and of course all major parts are matching as they should.

I would estimate a $2400 to $2600 price rather than what they have marked, but everything there and Gander Mountain is overpriced to begin with. Only a fool would part with their money at either establishment.

They probably gave the poor schmuck who traded it at best, $800.

#20 · (Edited)
I got lucky with my first P5 purchase from Cabala's Ft Worth last July (one year ago today in fact). An appears NIB with all items from Ulm included example. Just entered the 4 figure price range out the door. Sub 1" test target was a pleasant surprise.

The Cabala's Gun Library at the time showed another location having "well worn (inside and out)" BMI lineout (police trade), priced at $1400.00

This is the gun that started my P5 addiction.

Attachments

#21 ·
Cabelas is almost always a rip off on their used weapons. For example, few years ago I purchased a Taurus TCP for $179.99 brand new at Cabelas. Last few times I stepped in they have had a couple used ones that aren't even in particularly good condition marked at 299.99 and 279.99.

I asked one of the sales associates how they came up with the math on those prices to command a 30% premium over what I paid new and they told me it was the 'book value'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.