WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Andyd_is_PzGren

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #1

Awfugit .22
Financially feasible to build Franken-Luger

A guy was telling me that back in the 50s he used to go to a shop in California that had the old paper barrels filled with Luger parts and for 40 bucks you could go through and build a Luger with the parts you picked.

If it still financially feasible to build your own Luger? I have done this with other milsurp but have generally come out on the break even to where I could have bought a non matching gun for.

With the prices of Lugers high as they are, is it at all possible to do a build for under?
I am sure someone has tried, where did you come out at the end, and are the parts actually available at this point for such a build?
I expect the answer to be “good luck” and “your dreaming” but a guy can dream right?
Awfugit is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #2

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
The cumulative rate of inflation from the early '50 to 2019 is ~ 1000%.

So, that $40 in the '50s is ~$400 today. Not such an awesome deal when inflation adjusted.

The days of "affordable" Luger parts are long gone. These items have not been sold "bulk/by weight" (barrel loads) in decades.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:17 PM   #3

Awfugit .22
400 sounds like a good deal. If anyone has anything close to that price on a Luger I’m game.
Awfugit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2019, 09:28 PM   #4

Redcat94 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awfugit View Post
If it still financially feasible to build your own Luger?
I doubt it. What's your budget ? I regularly see Lugers for $1200-2000. There are modern firearms that cost that much brand new.

If you're in the market for a Luger check out Simpson Ltd. They have the largest retail selection of Lugers anywhere.

https://simpsonltd.com/lugers/
Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #5

Jimbo80 .22
I got my mismatched Luger for $600 and I saw one around that price just the other day. Not sure it would be worth the time and effort even if you could find all the parts.
Jimbo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:48 PM   #6

superfluities .22
A worthy project but the frame alone will cost you more than $400 if you can even find one for sale. Best value for a luger is a shooter grade that already works. All luger parts are not compatible.
superfluities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 05:59 AM   #7

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
As superfluities has mentioned, the Luger pistols need a lot of handfitting. For the pistol to work properly, the main spring and magazine spring have to be balanced and an ill-fitting trigger bar will give a horrendous trigger pull.

A properly set up Luger will be accurate, reliable, and a pleasure to shoot. My favourite Lugers have always been VOPO P.08s or the Mauser Lugers from the 1970s.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:40 PM   #8

superfluities .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyd_is_PzGren View Post
As superfluities has mentioned, the Luger pistols need a lot of handfitting. For the pistol to work properly, the main spring and magazine spring have to be balanced and an ill-fitting trigger bar will give a horrendous trigger pull.

A properly set up Luger will be accurate, reliable, and a pleasure to shoot. My favourite Lugers have always been VOPO P.08s or the Mauser Lugers from the 1970s.
and I thought I was the only one that liked VOPO lugers...
superfluities is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:55 AM   #9

Location: west coast, unfortunately, but my home is worth a fortune!
rossmon .22
I bought one of the Interarm's Mauser Lugers around 30 years ago. At that time it was new in the box and I paid $700 in a combo cash/trade which seemed like a lot then.
I wanted a perfect gun to shoot and had some negative experiences with funky used German guns. So I jumped on a new Luger made on the original machinery in the same plant as a good deal! I looked at that simpsonltd site and one like mine sold for $2800 that isn't quite as nice and also missing the test target!
I finally put a box of ammo thru it a few years ago and it shoots real nice. It is my favorite antique pistol to handle, take apart and drool over all the beautiful work to create this gorgeous weapon. Never want to part with it!
rossmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 05:08 AM   #10

Andyd_is_PzGren .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluities View Post
and I thought I was the only one that liked VOPO lugers...
Oh no, sir! I love shooting them and had several but a 1942 vintage with a Czech replacement barrel that was installed by East German armourers is one of my most accurate centerfire pistols. I was told by a German collector that those barrels were made in the same factory that manufactured P.38 barrels during WWII.

With Nills

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P0842.jpg (60.8 KB, 7 views)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > The Classics

Search tags for this page

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/classics/117220-financially-feasible-build-franken-luger.html#post1192074

Click on a term to search for related topics.