Walther Forums banner

P38 AC 42, these are all new to me...

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Kar98 
#1 ·
Just trying to start researching and learning about these. I know value has gone up in the last couple years on almost all the milsurp stuff.

Have a friend needing money that has offered this to me for $600. Haven't gotten my hands on it to look at it yet, just the pictures he has sent. Has a repro holster to go with it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forums.

ac 42
ac = made at the walther plant as opposed to mouser or spreewerken
42 = 1942

4858 K
serial numbers were 4 digits then they started over with a letter suffix
# 4858 of the 11 thousand block

Not sure if 1-9999 had no suffix or the a suffix. so that may be off by 1000.

May be one of the experts here can say how many suffix's were used in 1942, but my GUESS would be it was made in the 2nd half of 1942.

I'm not qualified enough to venture an estimate on value, but basically it is only worth what someone is wiling to pay for it.

I'm sure the p38 experts will have more info on this weapon.

Pudge

#4 ·
The P.38 in your pictures was made by Walther in December of 1942. You will need to check the locking block to make sure it’s all matching. The gun look fine not overly worn and no corrosion as I can see. Its definitely worth $600 if not a couple hundred more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 · (Edited)
Here is a bit of terminology for you - ac42 "stacked" . That means that the ac on the slide is over the 42. That is a good thing.

It looks like the red paint on the FIRE indicator has been retouched ; that would not make me hesitate at the price so long as the fore mentioned locking block is a match.

If you want to own a P.38 - buy that one (if verified as matching - I'm betting yes based on general appearance). The price is reasonable , to say the least.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.