repair return question - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #1

345Sire .22
Question repair return question

Hi guys, been reading a lot of stuff regarding firearms being sent to Walther for repair/warranty work, and have seen some people get them back faster than others. I won't get into the topic of the attributes of doing such repairs, but,,,,,,,,

As I am still considering the CCP and have been looking into many posts about it, one thing I wonder about as a resident of New Jersey.
Due to the restrictions put on our fair state, I wonder if it's only us who have to have all firearms sent to an FFL, or if it does apply to everyone as I suspect.

Does the issue of repair/warranty make for an exemption to this policy? Or am I going to get hit with an FFL transfer fee from my local agent for a repair as well?

Does Walther ever send the firearm back to the owner directly? Or is this a violation?

Sorry if this has come up before, my attempts at using the search program here didn't pick it up.
345Sire is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 06-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #2

Target99 .22
I know nothing of NJ state laws. I FedEx'ed mine straight to Walther and it was FedEx'ed right back to my driveway 28 days later. The only requirement was that someone 21 years of age had to sign for the delivery.
Target99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

PPS1980 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target99 View Post
I know nothing of NJ state laws. I FedEx'ed mine straight to Walther and it was FedEx'ed right back to my driveway 28 days later. The only requirement was that someone 21 years of age had to sign for the delivery.
Difference between living in a Free State and ....well....the Peoples Democratic Republic of NJ, NY, Mass, or California.

All i have to say to our brothers in CA, NJ, NY, and MASS is.....join us in Freedom.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
PPS1980 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2017, 04:17 PM   #4

jackrock .22
Wow. This is surprisingly not clear. Even Handgunlaw.us has nothing on the topic. I'm not in NJ, but I'm still searching for an answer. You may want to head to your local FFL and ask. I would NOT ask police, as NJ police are notorious for being anti-gun by training, and thus may not have the correct information (or simply may want to mislead you).
jackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 PM   #5

Handy .22
1. Don't buy a CCP. Buy a high quality firearm.

2. If the things you read about a firearm makes you immediately wonder about their warranty service, select a different firearm.

3. Under Federal law, a gunsmith or warranty repair service can ship the gun you already own directly back to you, since you aren't acquiring a new gun but simply re-taking possession of your property. You can also ship a gun to yourself if you find a carrier willing (hunting trip, for instance).

4. Some states have more stringent laws, and the people to ask are those with the vested interest in getting it right - the mail order gunsmiths and warranty services. So I would simply call Walther, Sig or S&W up and ask them if they return serviced firearms directly back to NJ owners or not.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:12 PM   #6

pj_49 .22
Google Books contains "New Jersey Gun Law" by Evan Nappen. The section on "Shipping Guns" is available for preview (pages 219 and 220).
pj_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #7

Thunderbirdsport302 .22
Number one; Do NOT buy a CCP if warranty work is a concern.

Number 2....see number one.

That said, I trust and believe in a PPS and a P99c often, hint hint.
Old 06-21-2017, 11:09 PM   #8

jackrock .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handy View Post
1. Don't buy a CCP. Buy a high quality firearm.

2. If the things you read about a firearm makes you immediately wonder about their warranty service, select a different firearm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbirdsport302 View Post
Number one; Do NOT buy a CCP if warranty work is a concern.

Number 2....see number one.
Both off topic. The question is about shipping to and from the manufacturer in New Jersey; not the quality of the CCP as a model.

I spent a couple of hours searching, and so far haven't found anything to directly answer the OP's question.
jackrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #9

Handy .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrock View Post

Both off topic. The question is about shipping to and from the manufacturer in New Jersey; not the quality of the CCP as a model.

I spent a couple of hours searching, and so far haven't found anything to directly answer the OP's question.
Often the reason you can't find a law is because it doesn't exist. States don't publish lists of what is legal.

I checked Robar's website and it says they ship directly back to their customers without reference to any state exceptions - so there likely aren't any. Robar has been in the out-of-state gunsmith business for a long time.

Last edited by Handy; 06-22-2017 at 12:22 AM.
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 AM   #10

345Sire .22
Target99, you have the luxury of living in one of the "free states" as referenced by PPS1980, who has me jealous, I hope to get to one of those states eventually, thanks!
345Sire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP