RECALL NOTICE: Walther CCP Being Recalled Due To Drop Safety Issues - Page 2 - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

1917-1911M .38
No kidding......only they are a couple of years late. These issues were documented a long time ago.....See item #1 running problem thread. And, from what I read.....not all CCPs are recalled. Each pistol should be checked to see if corrective measures have been taken already or the owner will be responsible for shipping cost. Small ground circle at the rear inner base of the magwell.

From what I remember the drop safety was redesigned somewhere in the 18K range although I remember seeing pictures, reading of issues in pistols with much later serial numbers and which still had the original drop safety installed. As I recall a new slide is required.

Wonder if they will correct the hanging shard of steel adjacent to the striker channel while they have the pistol? I note that issue still persists. 1917

I would not be confident in the function of this pistol with steel parts that could break off and jam or destroy the striker/striker spring. Original drop safety pictured btw.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 03-20-2017 at 10:25 AM.
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 AM   #12

djim .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1917-1911M View Post
Wonder if they will correct the hanging shard of steel adjacent to the striker channel while they have the pistol? I note that issue still persists.
I would not be confident in the function of this pistol with steel parts that could break off and jam or destroy the striker/striker spring. Original drop safety pictured btw.
Let me guess: Owners who've complained about it have been told "This is not a problem. It's normal?"
P99pete likes this.
djim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:33 AM   #13

1917-1911M .38
More than once...... I've gone over all of this with the Chief Engineer in Arnsberg.....years ago. I've also sent Glenn Seiter an e-mail suggesting that as part of the recall that they might inspect new slides for this issue as I read here it still exists. If the machining can't be adjusted to eliminate the cut through into the striker channel.....at least a close inspection might allow the offending steel shard to be broken off and the inner striker channel be inspected, polished to make sure it is smooth. It is essential to the design of the pistol that the striker not be bound by a broken part or that rough edges inside the striker channel be allowed to damage or bind the striker/ striker spring.

But, it took 10 years for Walther to put a thicker slide on the P22 after replacing a number of broken slides......and sharp trigger bar ears and an improperly designed hammer face still persist on that pistol. I guess in the Umarex world....this CCP recall is pretty fast corrective action. 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 03-20-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #14

Vandal320 .22
Can an admin sticky this thread?
WALTHER PPQ M2 .45 ACP
WALTHER P99C 9MM
WALTHER PPS M1 9MM
WALTHER PPS M2 LE 9MM
WALTHER PPX 9MM
Vandal320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #15

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
No kidding......only they are a couple of years late. These issues were documented a long time ago.....
You are correct re the lengthy delay by Umarex to publicly identify as well as "offer" a remedy and had they bothered to read this Forum perhaps the delay would have been avoided.

Mark was also equally non communicative when I inquired as to whether the issue involved only the manual safety, the physical drop safety or both. As you know this Forum and its administrative managers have both complained and admonished Umarex for their failure to communicate re the CCP specifically....Umarex's position has obviously not changed in that regard.

I am curious re your apparent understanding that there are serial number segments that Umarex/Walther has identified to be involved. Without revealing your source can you describe when those were identified and whether there are identifiable inclusive groups of numbers or that the numbers are truly sporadic across a system wide population? In other words.....Umarex was forced to make it a total recall because the affected serials start at, for example, serial number "000001" and extend to the latest current serial numbers.
chandler5566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:58 AM   #16

SpaceGunner .22
I think it would be beneficial to sticky the submission link so that people can have quick access to it.

CCP Information Submission - Walther Arms
Old 03-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #17

1917-1911M .38
No, that is not what I'm saying. I originally followed this pistol pretty closely until I lost interest in it. What I remember are posts where the slide was being hung open, jammed and the offending part was the drop safety falling out of position. As you are aware, you can retract the slide, turn the pistol upside down and have a look at the drop safety or remove the slide to inspect it.

From posts here Walther began to install a revised, more rounded, drop safety in the pistol somewhere around the 18K serial number mark. There were several threads on this, your's among them.....but, subsequent threads showed owners purchasing 24K, 29K, 30K serial number pistols still containing the original drop safety.....this leads me to believe old parts were used until the supply ran out and that there is no definitive SN where the problem ends and corrective measures were made to all CCP firearms.

More light might be shed on this if owners of later SN pistols were to inspect for the mark. Do all new pistols come so marked or only those send in for service prior to this date? I don't know. I'm just pointing out that some pistols have apparently had this corrective work done and are so marked....which is news to me. And, if you send a so marked pistol in it will receive no further corrective measures but that the owner will be charged for shipping.

Years ago Walther revised the extractor in the P22......but pistols showed up for years afterward with the original extractors still be installed. I actually purchased one five years after the fact that still had the original part.....which I found particularly ironic....since I was the one responsible for the changes and from asking VQ to get into the picture as well. It was no problem as I had several of the later extractors....but I found it pretty funny. 1917
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #18

Herr Walther Unproven
Walther takes another black eye. Arnsberg is beating up pretty badly on Ulm as of late.

Die Familie Rentz seit 1535 https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2091&dateline=1394562  861
Herr Walther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 AM   #19

1917-1911M .38
I believe Member JohnC was the first to post side by side pictures of the original drop safety vs. the revised version. They were good, sharp pictures and I lifted them of course.........I just can't find them at present. There were some threads detailing the changes in how the part was more securely fitted to the slide.....Mr. Chandler, as I recall you were all over this but it has been a couple of years ago. I've forgotten the details but I do remember that the new safety with a sharper top, front edge was digging into the frame ..... so I sent pictures to Germany with regard to my concern there.

Anytime a tight tolerance steel part is impacting another portion of steel and at very high speed....there is a potential for further issues. I thought the top of the safety might benefit from a bit more rounding. With exception of secure mounting issues the original drop safety looked like the smoother design with regard to impact on adjacent pistol parts......but, I never purchased one and never fully understood what caused the original failure.

It is a critical part though responsible for catching the cocked striker and as discussed elsewhere.....retracting the slide of a cocked pistol pulls the striker rearward and then releases it ( the bump) so it is absolutely essential these parts work reliably.....and the mim'd hook not break off the bottom of the striker. Should the spring loaded striker get loose allowing the striker spring to power it forward and into a chambered round....that round will ignite. Good luck with it......I'm out of here, again. Now where is my P99? Feel like doing some shooting. 1917

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/c...ce-change.html

Perhaps the first thread on the change to the drop safety.

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 03-20-2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #20

djim .22
Quote:
Anytime a tight tolerance steel part is impacting another portion of steel and at very high speed....there is a potential for further issues.
You mean kind of like this?

Walther claims that's "not a problem." (That's from current production Walther PPS M2s, btw.)

Lifted from PPS M2 Barrel Peened near feed ramp?
djim is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Search tags for this page
ccp recall
how to tell if walther ccp recall was taken care of
news
problems with a walther creed 9 mm

walther ccp 9mm problems

walther ccp 9mm recall
walther ccp m2 9mm problems
walther ccp recall

walther ccp recall serial numbers

walther creed problems
walther pps m2 recall
walther recall what is fixed
Click on a term to search for related topics.