WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 06:38 PM   #171

Hawkeye14 .22
Ammo report addendum.

Another 100+ rounds today.

Two mags of some older Winchester white box 115 gr ball, shot fairly well but with at least half the rounds I could feel a slight delay in the slide closing into battery as the bullets apparently snagged on the feed ramp. One tried to nose down into the mag but popped back up and into the chamber as I tilted the gun to look.

50 Blazer Brass 124 gr ball. No failures and all hit inside 3 inches except a couple fliers. Felt pretty smooth, so I'll spend some more time with these.

Another 50 Remington 124 gr ball. Threw brass hither and yon again but otherwise shot very well today. Two mags on paper inside 2 inches, and the rest thrown at a steel spinner and miscellaneous pieces of clay tile mixed into the dirt pile.

I'm in the process of changing my grip, which may explain why the Remingtons shot better today--coulda been me, still learning to shoot this kind of pistol.

Planning to get a few boxes of IMI 124 gr ball soon, and will share results.
Hawkeye14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 08-03-2017, 05:05 PM   #172

tson .22
CCP and +P

I am relatively new to firearms and purchased the CCP. I LOVE the feel and grip and the gas-recoil (soft-coil) design. Page 12 of the CCP manual seems to caution against use of +P ammo (due to extra servicing). But it also seems that I have read somewhere else that +P ammo can cause malfunctions in the gas-recoil design due to over-pressure (but I don't really understand that.)

1) Does +P increase a risk of malfunction in the CCP? Any experience with this?
2) For self defense, I am very interested in the Ruger ARX ammo which is +P or the Inceptor ARX which is not +P.

- Ruger ARX +P (65 gr): 1620 fps / 379 ft lbs (muzzle)
- Inceptor ARX (65 gr): 1545 fps / 345 ft lbs (muzzle)
(I am also confused because apparently there is an 80 grain version as well.)
- Hornady Critical Defense (115 gr): 1140 fps / 332 ft lbs (muzzle)

3) I am interested in anyone that has experience shooting the ARX round (specify if +P) and any issues with the CCP specifically using that round.

Last edited by tson; 08-03-2017 at 05:52 PM.
tson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:57 AM   #173

russc2542 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tson View Post
I am relatively new to firearms and purchased the CCP. I LOVE the feel and grip and the gas-recoil (soft-coil) design. Page 12 of the CCP manual seems to caution against use of +P ammo (due to extra servicing). But it also seems that I have read somewhere else that +P ammo can cause malfunctions in the gas-recoil design due to over-pressure (but I don't really understand that.)

1) Does +P increase a risk of malfunction in the CCP? Any experience with this?
2) For self defense, I am very interested in the Ruger ARX ammo which is +P or the Inceptor ARX which is not +P.

- Ruger ARX +P (65 gr): 1620 fps / 379 ft lbs (muzzle)
- Inceptor ARX (65 gr): 1545 fps / 345 ft lbs (muzzle)
(I am also confused because apparently there is an 80 grain version as well.)
- Hornady Critical Defense (115 gr): 1140 fps / 332 ft lbs (muzzle)

3) I am interested in anyone that has experience shooting the ARX round (specify if +P) and any issues with the CCP specifically using that round.
If you're at the knowledge level to ask that, I'd suggest just sticking to the manual and proven, conventional hollow-points like the Critical Defense.

Wear is proportional to loading on any mechanical device, even if a gun's rated for +P, there's usually a caveat that springs will require replacing sooner. I do know from testing a variety of my reloads that the CCP functions best in the mid-high pressure range. It doesn't like low power and I don't like very high power in it (not enough mass to absorb the recoil/shock load). Refresh my memory, does the manual state "Don't" or "not much"?

I would worry more about the timing and mechanics of the HV ammo than the actual pressure involved. the problem is the gas system balances recoil and gas system pressure and drops the pressure at a certain point and all that... I can't say my CCP is exactly finicky about ammo but the gas piston system is going to be inherently more picky about timing than a conventional tilt-barrel. Sort of like a pistol gas port on a 20" barrelled AR or rifle gas system on a SBR. That being said, I have not tried light, HV ammo in my CCP and they may run spectacularly.
russc2542 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2017, 10:25 PM   #174

Hawkeye14 .22
I've not fired any high velocity or +P labeled ammo, but I've shot a couple different nearly +P 124 gr loads. Sig 124 gr V-crown shoot very well in my CCP. Consistently smooth, small groups, no hiccups, very comfortable with them. Bought a few boxes of IMI 124 gr ball, which is NATO spec therefore higher pressure, and it seems to have a prolonged recoil cycle. Perhaps the higher pressure messes with how the gas system works. I can almost see the slide cycle, and can hear and feel it slamming into battery after the shot. Only fired a couple mags through it because of a different agenda that day, and my hand was tired so coulda been me. Gonna shoot some more of it when I'm fresh, and will report back. Was an interesting experience.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #175

orfecp .22
I just put 50 rounds of Remington 147 grn HTP subsonic through my new to me CCP. No problems. Followed it up with 20 rounds of the GBH manufactured "Colt" branded Sold Copper Hollow Points. Still no problems. Then about 24 rounds of mixed left overs, mostly Federal Hydro Shoks and IMI round nose with one Ruger ARX +P. Still no problems.

This gun seems reliable with what I have on hand which is mostly higher end 9mm since I have a lot of it left from before the ammo crunch.
orfecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #176

Hawkeye14 .22
OK, cracked the 1,000 round mark. Shot Fiocchi 115 gr ball and more of the IMI 124 gr ball, and I can confidently state that my CCP does not like the Fiocchi. At least 2 jams of one sort or another with each mag, consistently through 100 rounds of it. Same experience with the IMI as prior, seems to have a slightly slower recoil cycle, and I can usually feel the slide hit home. They go where I want them to, and had only one jam, but was shooting off a rolled towel rest with that mag, which I have found often results in occasional jams with this gun regardless of the ammo.

Will try some Federal American Eagle 124 gr ball next, but also working with daughter and the BuckMark, and just bought a mouse gun to play with.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:17 PM   #177

TolusD .22
Hornady FTX Lite

I fired a ton of different ammo through my CCP M2 the other day and the one that really shocked me was the Hornady FTX Lite ammo that my wife runs in her Ruger LC9.

I wasn't sure the CCP would cycle it given the gas system, but WOW! No failures or jams of any kind, ran like sewing machine. It was amazing; no recoil at all and dead on grouping.

Has anyone else tried this stuff in their CCP?

*Edit: Wow, digging up a forum corpse here huh....
justgce likes this.
TolusD is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Search tags for this page
best 9mm ammo for walther ccp

best ammo for walther ccp

best ammo for walther ccp 9mm
best ammo for walther ccp m2
how to prevent walther ccp 9mm jamming
news
p rounds in walther ccp
recommended ammo for walther ccp
walther ccp ammo
walther ccp ammo recommendations
walther ccp best ammo
walther ccp jamming
Click on a term to search for related topics.