WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2019, 09:57 AM  

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty54 View Post
I would like to find a gunsmith willing to take a crack at fixing mine.

I would probably just cut my losses and to sell it as scrap.
I don't think there is a gunsmith that can fix it. All of the problems seem to be rearward of the trigger. This pistol has been discussed muzzle to mag. Some of the pistols were never made reliable nor replaced..they sit in safes. I would never consider one for self defense....but I do like projects like this for fooling around with.

Is there another pistol anywhere that has no rails and depends on the striker/striker channel to guide the rear movement/alignment of the slide? $51 offer for one still stands. 1917
Old 03-23-2019, 10:09 AM  

chandler5566 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty54 View Post
With any other handgun I would probably just cut my losses and to sell it as scrap, but I really enjoy shooting this gun. It is my favorite as far as ergo and balance. My love-hate relationship!
If you are seriously considering selling your CCP please sell it to 1917. He has been after one like you describe for 5 years......and I know he's good for the $50!
1917-1911M likes this.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:15 PM  

1917-1911M .38
And whatever you do....don't sell one to I'maOldFart....he may offer a dollar more but word has it he prints some of his money...and can't shoot straight either. 1917
MGMike likes this.

Old 03-23-2019, 03:02 PM  
Supporting Member

MGMike .38
The "MAIN" problem seems to be conceptual: an idea that the H&K P7 could be duplicated on the cheap, using Umarex blank-firing pistol modes of construction. It was misbegotten from Day One: the first examples appeared with mislocated ejector slots in the slide and ragged holes cut through the wall of the striker channel. Those slides should have been rejected and scrapped, but instead these guns were spilled onto the market-- stark evidence of ZERO quality control, final inspection, or management concern. What a confidence builder...

The only thing they seem to have gotten right was the shape of the plastic grip frame.
It might have been useful if they'd put a different pistol inside it.

M

Last edited by MGMike; 03-24-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 AM  

Jimmo952 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMike View Post

The only thing they seem to have gotten right was the shape of the plastic grip frame.
It might have been useful if they'd put a different pistol inside it.

M
A lot of truth in this post. Harsh truth but truth nonetheless.

It's the bit I quoted that I find maddening. The form factor and grip frame are so well done.

It is a defensive pistol though and so reliability is paramount. It's a defensive pistol though and so the ability to practice with it without it falling apart is important.

I grimace when I hear stuff like "once I found ammo it liked, I was able to get through two hundred rounds with only a couple failures". That's nothing to be proud of. For a "fun" gun that's fine but for a gun you are betting your life on and one that may have to be used in less than perfect conditions I'd still pass.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 AM  

55529 .22
I would have never compared the P7 to the CCP - interesting. That's a pistol I know little about, so I just read a few reviews.

Thanks for all the opinions and info about the CCP - I have been in touch again with Ft. Smith which seems like my only option, other than having a local gunsmith tackle it, but at this point I don't think spending more money will yield results.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:52 AM  

Meho1277 .22
I know that you said, that you have failure to eject 30% of the time, is this the only problem that you need addressed or are there more. I know that a failure to feed problem could be a broken striker pin, it stays protruding out of the slide, and when the next round gets ramped up, the little nub sticking out, prevents the round from moving up into position.
As far as failure to eject or extract, you would have to look real close at the extractor, the extractor spring and bolt, and the ejector itself. The 9mm round has plenty of pressure to achieve all of this, but if the extractor is slipping off of the spent casing before it hits the ejector, and flipping it out, then a wore extractor part or even a part that was never within spec could be the cause. You could buy these extractor parts, they are pretty easy to change, and see if that takes care of the issue.

Last edited by Meho1277; 03-24-2019 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM  

1917-1911M .38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meho1277 View Post
I know that you said, that you have failure to eject 30% of the time, is this the only problem that you need addressed or are there more. I know that a failure to feed problem could be a broken striker pin, it stays protruding out of the slide, and when the next round gets ramped up, the little nub sticking out, prevents the round from moving up into position.
As far as failure to eject or extract, you would have to look real close at the extractor, the extractor spring and bolt, and the ejector itself. The 9mm round has plenty of pressure to achieve all of this, but if the extractor is slipping off of the spent casing before it hits the ejector, and flipping it out, then a wore extractor part or even a part that was never within spec could be the cause. You could buy these extractor parts, they are pretty easy to change, and see if that takes care of the issue.
Meho, we have discussed all of these issues in great detail. Some pistols work....many don't. A 9mm round might generate plenty of recoil energy in most firearms but this one has a piston that delays and reduces that recoil energy. That has always seemed a bit of a difficult engineering challenge to me. Not that the concept might not work. The original pistol had four rings on the piston. That got cut to two rings if I remember correctly. Adding to the complexity concerning function....a buildup of dirt on the piston, dirt in the piston chamber, fouling of the gas port, wear of the port, then 115 gr rounds vs 124 gr vs 148 gr, etc. This seems like a tricky bit of engineering to solve.

Then things like mags dropping out of the pistol while firing, misfeeds, the striker not getting caught with no indication that you don't have a cocked striker, safety falling out, firing pin block falling out, slide spring being jammed inside the striker cup, trigger spring breaking, striker spring breaking, striker slamming into the primer of a chambered live round when it is not caught on a short stroke, sheared off counter plates, a recall for something, broken strikers including the shearing off of the striker hook.....yep, the pistol looks good and feels so good in the hand. But I sure couldn't trust one for self defense. This is far more complex than an issue with the extractor/ejector.

I don't understand the reasoning behind the layout of the whole striker design. It's not like Walther can't make a proper, fully functional and reliable striker system. Why are there no rails to guide the rear of the slide? The striker assembly running in the striker channel is responsible for that job...and it doesn't seem like a good way to accomplish it. But what do I know? 1917

Last edited by 1917-1911M; 03-24-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:28 AM  

DeutschlandUberAlles .22
"but this one has a piston that neutralizes that recoil energy. That has always seemed a bit of a problematic portion of the pistol to me"

This wasn't an issue for the Heckler & Koch P7. Search HK P7 issues. The P7 runs 100%, even with the extractor REMOVED!

This soft recoil piston design works, when NOT designed/produced to an "entry level" price point.

My sons and I ran over 300 rds thru my HK P7 M13 last week in Florida, flawless.

Both of my sons have a new "favorite" pistol.

Last edited by DeutschlandUberAlles; 03-24-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 03:23 PM  

Meho1277 .22
Well alright then, it doesn't matter what I say, if you have already condemned the firearm in your mind, nothing will change that fact. What i would like to know is, is scotty54 the original owner and did it use to function well and stopped functioning. I know mine has a 100,000 serial number and I have had minimal problems with it.
Just sayin

Last edited by Meho1277; 03-24-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > CCP

Search tags for this page

issues with walther ccp m2

know problems with walther ccp m2

Click on a term to search for related topics.