Walther Forums banner

My New Colt/Walther/Umarex 1911 .22 Gov't Model

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Reloader54 
#1 ·
Got this one today .......... never really paid much attention to them before. Mine is the Gov't Model, plain basic 1911 A-1, with flat mainspring housing.
I read someone else's review in which he said it MIGHT be a good plinker.

I've never shot one of these before today, yet my very first shot with it centered the "X" of the X ring of a B-27 target at 21 feet. Yes, I have witnesses. Groups were in the 2" region, despite the gun's frankly pretty heavy trigger at this time. At 25 yards I put 10 of 12 in half of the B-27's head (zombie practice). 2 fliers I attribute to my impatience with the heavy trigger pull.
Oh well, no one is perfect.
:D

Hopefully the trigger will lighten up as it breaks in, or I know some good gunsmiths around here.

Overall opinion ------- "MIGHT be a plinker"?? I'll be happy to use mine for headshots on squirrels.

#7 ·
I also now have a Colt gov't 1911 .22lr. I asking find that the trigger pull is heavy. When I took it out the first time I could not hit target. I had to shoot at 11 yds. That is the closest that my range will allow. I've now put around 300 rounds down range and I'm getting better groups. But I still think I'm going to have a comp trigger job done as see if it'll help. I do plan on using in competition.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
I saw these and they had me wondering...does anyone know what they are made out of? I don't mind aluminum, but I have an aversion to zinc. :(

Also, are they picky about what ammo to use?
22LR isn't exactly "common" like it used to be, and the better quality ammo (think CCI) has taken a major jump in price.
I am wondering if I should buy the full gun as in this Walther, or just get a .22 conversion kit for one of the 1911s I already have.

Dep

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have this model Colt 1911 Gov. And I've shot whatever .22lr I can get through it. And I've had no problems with any of what I've shot. I've shot standard and high velocity ammo without any problems. Also shot lead and copper jacketed also without problems. I hope this helps.

#12 ·
I love mine. And I shoot mine in Bulls Eye competition and Pistol Silhouette. And it is good out to 100 m as well. Love the gun. And it will shoot whatever I put through it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.