WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rimfire & CO2 Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

mrmarlin .22
proper way to clean a p22

Sponsored Links
ok guys, took my p22 out shooting today, and had some issues, dont know if it was my ammo (federal champions 525 value box) These have always worked in my marlin 60.

anyway, i decided on a good cleaning was a very good idea. I took it all apart, barrel and everything, soaked it in rem oil, then wiped it off...but it still felt dirty, sounded gritty.....so i took a litte brake cleaner and sprayed it in the gun and slide....the fluid came out black.

now i put it all back together using remoil, it seems to slide smooth and quicker than normal, anyway i wanted to know what other people use to clean there guns....i assume brake cleaner isnt the best, but it does get into all the crackes and crevices...

what does everyone use
mrmarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #2

1917-1911M .38
Well, mrmarlin here is my two cents worth. First I have fired well over 100K rounds through P22s and the Federal Champions are marginally powerful enough for reliable cycling even on a slicked up P22. My opinion. Might I suggest Remington Golden Bullets, 36 gr hp for your bulk or anything CCI.

Picture of some Federal Champions fired through a P22 and at a sitting one day. They work, just aren't very powerful.

Here is how I clean and lube. 3.4" model. Remove the magazine, remove the slide, empty pistol and mag, give the whole thing a good spraying with Gunscrubber (it won't hurt anything, paint, finish or grips). Spray down the underside of the slide, bottom of the breech block, down in the firing pin groove, inside the trigger group, the sear, hammer area and down the mag well. Then the magazines get the same treatment while I move the follower up and down a bit. Then I blow it all dry and inspect. This will remove all oil and your pistol will look a bit funky on the exterior. Don't worry about that.

Next I usually find that a stiff tooth brush with a little more Gunscrubber needs to be applied adjacent to the chamber area inside the frame and under the slide. I also inspect for trigger bar ear damage while I'm at it and any other signs of something wrong. Then I spray whatever I knocked loose off again and blow it out with air. Then I give everything a good spraying with Remington Remoil with Teflon, green can. Then I blow that off or wipe it really clean with a soft rag. This includes the firing pin area on top of the breech block even though hidden by the slide. Mags too.

Then I apply with a Q Tip, a little dry, powdered moly to the barrel sleeve, bottom of the breech block, frame rails, slide grooves, hammer face, etc. All the wear points. Then I reassemble the pistol. Then I spray a little Remoil on a clean rag and wipe the exterior down which now makes the pistol look new again. I don't use oil or grease anywhere because I found that I wore out my first P22 in 4,000 rounds by lubing with Tetra and Hoppes #9 as the spent powder, dust and bits of carbon collected in the grease/oil, made a lapping compound and ate up the slide grooves and frame rails.

The will not make the pistol slippery. Load up some mags and then let the fun begin again. The moly will not let the parts touch each other apparently and stops all wear at the grooves and rails. At least that is what my digital caliper tells me at over 27K rounds. M1911
1917-1911M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #3

mrmarlin .22
gun

ok thanks for the response, sounds like we did just about the same thing except i use some brake cleaner, i will pick up some gun scrubber

i did use a air compressor to blow all the brake cleaner out, and when i assembled it with hoppes #9 lubricating oil....

did the mags too.....

as far as ammo, i will just use my cci mini mags, and leave the federals to the marlin 60

thanks again

scott
mrmarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:10 PM   #4

jtrade .22
I'm glad I ran across this thread as I just purchased a used P22 from a friend Friday. It has not had a good cleaning in quite some time it appears.

I noticed 1911M (great job on the P22 Bible BTW) uses Rem Oil with Teflon. Since Break-Free CLP, which I had a ton of, also has teflon in it would CLP be a good alternative to Rem Oil for using on my P22?

Thnx,

J
jtrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #5

Sc0tt .22
when i clean the P22, i completely disassemble the gun and clean the parts individually. by completely disassemble, i mean take the action out of the grip, split it, and remove ALL the parts for cleaning.

i clean everything with hoppes #9, dry thoroughly, and lube everything with moly powder. it's also a good way to understand what your pistol is doing during firing!!

however, i DO NOT disassemble the slide. i know i'm going to need to one day, but for now i'll leave well enough alone
Sc0tt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #6

jtrade .22
Thanks for the info... I took the action out of the grip but did not split it.. May tackle that after i pickup some Dry Moly...

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc0tt View Post
when i clean the P22, i completely disassemble the gun and clean the parts individually. by completely disassemble, i mean take the action out of the grip, split it, and remove ALL the parts for cleaning.

i clean everything with hoppes #9, dry thoroughly, and lube everything with moly powder. it's also a good way to understand what your pistol is doing during firing!!

however, i DO NOT disassemble the slide. i know i'm going to need to one day, but for now i'll leave well enough alone
jtrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rimfire & CO2 Pistols

Search tags for this page
clean walther p22

cleaning a walther p22

cleaning p22
cleaning the walther p22

cleaning walther p22

how to clean a p22

how to clean a walther p22

how to clean walther p22

how to properly clean a walther p22
p22 cleaning

walther p22 cleaning

walther p22 lubrication

Click on a term to search for related topics.