P22 not Feeding properly - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rimfire & CO2 Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2003, 08:23 PM   #1

jepmep Unproven
I have a p22 that I purchased a few months ago. I am having a problem with feeding. It seems as though on the second round (almost always the second round only but occasionaly the 3rd round) will not feed. The brass ejects o.k. but nothing feeds into the chamber.

I have tried all three mags I have with the same results. I have been using federal ammo, HV. The mags have 10 rounds in them when this happens.

Has anyone had this problem? If so, what was the correction that was needed?

I will be going to the range this week to try CCI and Blazer ammo. I will also be trying less than 10 rounds in the mags.

I clean the gun after every use. Oil with a gun oil or Mobil 1.

Thanks
jepmep is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 03-24-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
kbc

kbc Unproven
If you find that the problems do not clear up with different ammo, give Walrep (S&W) a call.
I sent my P22 back for various issues (light strikes, fail to feed), and the turnaround time for warranty repair was 6 days out & back at my door.
(FYI, mine never liked Federal Bulk from Wally World, but I have yet to try it again, since the hammer fix, and firing pin spring replacement)
I usually use CCI mini Mags, Stingers, Velocitors, Rem Thunderbolts, Am Eagle HV.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:25 PM   #3

extremist Unproven
Smile

The only ammo my P22 seems to NOT like at all is the bulk Federal HP stuff from a few years back. I have LOTS of it, but alas, have to shoot it in my S&W SW22 target pistol.

Sticking to CCI Green Target and other target ammo for my P22.

James
NRA Handgun, Rifle, Shotgun, HFS, RSO
Walther PPQ/P99, HK P7 and 1911 aficionado
www.gunfaqs.org
www.lenaburgs.net
Hosting www.trosusa.com
extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:03 PM   #4

LoneWolf Unproven
I would check the barrel nut and make sure it's tight. I have had FT feed and FT eject problems when the barrel nut had loosened and with certain ammo. I have had excellant results with CCI MiniMags. I have found FT feeds and FT ejects with the CCI Blazers, Standard Velocity, and Rem SubSonics (not enough power to cycle the slide on all shots). I have over 1400 rounds thru my P22 and not one problem when using the MiniMags (I keep a log). As kbc said if it doesn't clear up give Walrep a call. Good luck !
Old 03-27-2003, 08:04 PM   #5

jacksv Unproven
I shot my P22 for the first time today. CCI Blazer - failure to feed. CCI standard (blue label 0032) no problems at all. I'm going to try some mini mags tomorrow.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:09 PM   #6

GrantLee63 Unproven
jepmep,

I've had the same problem you described with my new (less than a month old "AD" code -A mags) P22 using some old PMC Zappers . NO PROBLEMS when using CCI Minimags ....
GrantLee63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:44 PM   #7

TheMariner Unproven
I put Rem Hi-Vel through mine for the first 500 rds or so... It seems for alot of new or near new .22LR guns like to eat Hi-vel until broken in... Haven't had problems with failures to feed like that but your gun could be short cycling do to a lack of omph....
TheMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 06:04 AM   #8

Crete Unproven
jepmep,

Try to avoid using gun oil, silicon-based lubes, or carburator lubricants in your Walther.

The P22 needs to be simply stripped: slide removed from the frame and the magazines disassembled to their component parts.

Clean everything. Wipe. Remove factory lubes and unburned gun powder residues.

Have some Teflon spray (made by Du Pont, and others), applied sparingly around the action and inside the mags.

Reassemble.

The -A suffix mags work best in some P22s. If you do not have the A mags, have the older ones replaced. The warranty allows you to.

Crete
Crete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #9

ndwds Unproven
I purchsed my P22 last September. It has been back to S&W three times(replace the barrel the first time...bullets were tumbling at 10 feet). They do get defensive. I finally contacted Walther Germany, they were great. They responded immediately and told S&W what fix they thought would work. I too was getting feeding problems with Winchester, Federal, and Remington. I know there should be no correlation, but I found if I loosened the barrel nut, it eliminated the feeding problem with all ammunition. Crazy I know.

It is really a fun little gun to shoot and great looking(oh, I know none of us buys a gun for looks.....)

Just my 2 cents.
ndwds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:35 AM   #10

Crete Unproven
ndwds,

What happens to accuracy with a loose barrel nut? Mine shoots all over the place if it is not tight enough.

P22 users at RFC recommend warming the barrel with 10-20 rounds before attempting to tightening the barrel nut.

I tried this method and it works without FTCs/FTFs of any kind.

As for looks, the more accurately my P22 shoots, the better it looks.

Crete
Crete is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > Walther Rimfire & CO2 Pistols

Search tags for this page
p 22 not feeding
p22 failure to feed
walther 22 pistol will not feed
walther p22 failure to eject

walther p22 failure to feed

walther p22 failure to feed fix
walther p22 feeding problems
walther p22 ftf fix
walther p22 issues

walther p22 not feeding

walther p22 problems feeding
walther p22 will not feed
Click on a term to search for related topics.