My very first Handgun - WaltherForums
WaltherForums

Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2017, 01:59 PM   #1

bestman40 .22
My very first Handgun

Hi community, I am a new member in the community. I'm 40 years old and have Never own any weapon before. I recently bought the "Walther Semi-Automatic PPX Pistol." I will rely on you experts for guidance in helping me with this very intimidating machine. Please help me get to understand this gun and how to use it correctly...

Thanks guys

Bestman
bestman40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register
Old 04-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #2

Kar98 .22
Good choice! First things first!

The Four Basic Rules of Gun Safety:
  1. Treat all guns as loaded!
  2. Always point the gun in a safe direction!
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire!
  4. Be sure of your target and what's beyond it!

Proper grip:

Proper placement of trigger finger (squeeze, don't pull):

Proper stance:

Focus on the front sight:

And use sight image 3:

Obviously wear proper hearing and eye protection and don't wear a low-cut tank top
124grain and dpadams6 like this.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM   #3
Supporting Member

imaoldfart .22
Kar nailed it.....however, in the first picture, nail polish is optional. Now, go the the range and get some 'one on one', personal instruction.

edit: I'll just add this. I went to the optometrist yesterday to get a new prescription for shooting glasses. These glasses will be used specifically for shooting one of my 'red dot' optic equipped pistols. What I need for this is simply both eyes corrected for distance. So today, I dropped by Walmart, picked out some fashionable safety glasses and they'll be ground with the 'distance correction' in the upper and they'll also put the bi-focals in the lower portion. Can't wait to get these back and go to the range, as I've been busy messin' around with my red dot pistols and I'm sure I need to do a little tweaking.

It goes without saying that 'you need to be able to clearly see your sights'.....it also helps to be able to see the target. With the above glasses and one of my red dot equipped pistols, I'll be able to CLEARLY see the target and the 'optical red dot'.

I've got another pair of safety glasses ground for 'mono vision', where the right eye is focused on the sights and the left eye is focused on infinity (distance). These glasses work great for open sights.....although they DO kinda mess with my head a little bit.

At 40 years of age, most people are needing glasses. A pair of dedicated, prescription shooting glasses can make a difference.....so don't forget to add a pair to your range bag.
yagyujubei likes this.

Last edited by imaoldfart; 04-20-2017 at 04:09 PM.
imaoldfart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM   #4

Kar98 .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaoldfart View Post
nail polish is optional.
Great. Now you tell me.
jackrock likes this.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 AM   #5

bestman40 .22
my first hand-gun

Kar, thanks for the excellent instructions, I deeply appreciate it. I also appreciate your advice Ima...
Old 04-21-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

RogueTS1 .22
Welcome to the shooting community. Now go out and get to know your gun. Get comfortable with it and shooting. Seek out some training if you care to. Once you join you are never the same again. You will wonder why you did not start this earlier.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

Pondoro .22
Please do not be offended by this - get some training. It is no shame to be new and untrained, but a mistake can harm or kill someone. Some mistakes are not obvious to the newcomer.

The safety rules posted above are true, You can do anything that you need to do with your pistol without ever pointing the muzzle in an unsafe direction. Practice that always. Instructors have a bad habit of teaching these rules but then violating them. I've had pistols pointed at me in a couple of classes!

Welcome. Find a class or an experienced friend. Shoot your gun a lot. Always think about the rules. Before you put your gun away think about how you must point it when you retrieve it. When you walk around with your pistol think about where it is pointed, think about where your finger might go if you trip. Learn your gun and then think about how you will store it - loaded or unloaded? It is probably best to train for a while before storing it loaded. Who else in your family might find it? Anyone depressive or suicidal or untrustworthy? Hint - teenage boys will find it. It should be locked. This includes good boys. Your kids need to know that you will let them shoot it, but they must never touch it without you around. I would still lock it up. Your kids need to know that telling a friend about the gun can make your house a target for robbery. Telling a teacher or social worker or doctor about your gun is stupid in most areas.

I'm not paranoid. I teach kids the shooting sports. I have kids (now grown). I was a kid in the era when no one had a gun safe. I saw kids do stupid stuff. Smart kids. A Boy Scout camp counselor who I admired told us, "If a friend ever gets his dad's gun out leave." I left. I want your kids to be safe. I want them to grow up enjoying the shooting sports. I want you to have a gun if you ever need one for self defense.

Asking questions is a sign of maturity. You are on the right track. All the best!

Last edited by Pondoro; 04-22-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Pondoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:31 AM   #8

bestman40 .22
My first Handgun

Pon, you are an expert and experience coach. Your advice was very informative as well as educational. Thanks so much for such powerful and meaningful advice and instruction.

I bought a safe from Harbor four months ago and the Walther is in there unloaded and safe. I work at a very large hospital in the City and need to schedule some time off to start shooting the PPX at the gun range. I also need to find a good instructor that knows about this PPX and show me how to handle it and clean it if I ever need to.

I have been watching some YouTube videos on the PPX and I am very impress with the weapon performance. Do you know where I can buy the accessories for the PPX?

Thanks team
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #9

Pondoro .22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestman40 View Post
Do you know where I can buy the accessories for the PPX?

Thanks team
CDNN had the best price on magazines when I bought mine. I like to shoot steel targets so I wanted five magazines. You may not want so many. Cabelas, Midway, Sportsman's Guide and Field and Stream all may have equal or better prices.

I'd only buy a holster where I can try it out on my belt - that means in person at a gun store. If the gun store is nice enough to let me open the package and try the holster I would never say, "Thanks" and then walk out and buy the same holster on line for $15 less.

Good luck!
Pondoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #10

FunWithPaul .22
Pondoro, that is EXCELLENT advice. Bestman40, I am glad you read it.
Get instruction (I would suggest a certified instructor, just because your friend has owned guns since he was a kid, doesn't mean he knows what he is doing. But then some "instructors" don't either), and practice. Just because you took a class once doesn't mean you are done. The more you shoot, and the more instruction you get, the more you will realize how little you knew (back when you thought you "had it down")
Pondoro's advice about boys is dead on. Take a class with your boy.

Be safe, shoot well, have fun.
FunWithPaul is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   WaltherForums > Walther Firearms > PPX